NH non resident permit?

I received my NH Non-Resident license in the mail today. There is no indication on it for any reason for issuance or restrictions. Wait is about 3 weeks so go for it.

My Mass restriction is "Sporting." If you have any specific questions you can call the licensing unit at this number: # Permits and Licensing Unit: (603) 271-3575

You leave a message and they call back same or next day. The woman whom works there is very polite and professional.

Good luck to all.

Awesome, I will be applying shortly.

Thanks for looking into this!

Right, we've all been trying to sort through the confusion. As you said, if you supply a restricted license, NH will not approve your application. An administrative rule was passed so that if you live in a communist f*ckhole like Massachusetts, you can provide a non-resident CCW instead and NH will accept it. The administrative rule has force of law.

The rule was not just a response to Mass, it includes places like Maryland, New Jersey, California, New York, Illinois and Wisconsin.

I'm sending in my NH application next week, just in case they change their mind again...

Nice job Pats!!!![dance]

It has been about 40 (forty) days since I mailed my application to NH. At the beginning of last week I called them and a lady named Rosemary said that it would be mailed out by the end of last week.

I have a CT Pistol Permit and a C&R license. I am beginning to wonder whats up. I had heard all of the the glowing reports on the State's ability to issue a permit in a timely fashion.

My companies home office is in Manchester although I operate out of my own home office. I would hate to resort to open carry when I visit my companies office. Can anyone possibly explain why it maybe taking so long? A background check takes about 5 minutes. What else could cause such delays?

Last edited:
It has been about 40 (forty) days since I mailed my application to NH. At the beginning of last week I called them and a lady named Rosemary said that it would be mailed out by the end of last week.

Maybe just an increase in demand, and unlike MA, they probably
don't want to hire an extra person to process applications, etc.

It's too bad that NH didn't pass the bill which would have essentially
removed the permit requirement, but still allowed people
to get permits, if desired. (eg, for reciprocity purposes). I think
Lynch ended up blocking it, at least in part.

-Mike

It's too bad that NH didn't pass the bill which would have essentially
removed the permit requirement, but still allowed people
to get permits, if desired. (eg, for reciprocity purposes). I think
Lynch ended up blocking it, at least in part.

That bill really never got too far off the ground. I always felt that the ease in getting permits in this state never made it a hot issue.

As far as processing, the state will be trying to hold down costs in all areas so don't look for any additional personnel to be hired to process permits.

I just read somewhere that somebody knew a guy who had heard from a friend of his barber's that Gov Lynch was quoted as saying something like "No new revenue? Well, then, no new spending!"

On Day 45, I get a call from Rosemary telling me that my application is on the Sgt.'s desk, whatever that is supposed mean, so all that it was going to be mailed by the end of the week, two weeks ago was a run around.

When I queried as to what is taking so long, I was told that they are backed up. My last name is Peace which seems to always trigger deep security checks, although my family roots go back to North Carolina Cherokees. This always causes me to wonder if I am put on hold because I am a person of color. I am not playing a race card, just wondering. Maybe I am playing a race card because it seems to always come into play at some level.

Had I not read such glowing reports of New Hampshire in this forum I would not have such concerns, but I will put my concerns on hold and when I am in New Hampshire I will just open carry for the present with all the disadvantages that brings especially for a large, tall person of color.

Live Free or Die....
peace

Last edited:
On Day 45, I get a call from Rosemary telling me that my application is on the Sgt.'s desk, whatever that is supposed mean, so all that it was going to be mailed by the end of the week, two weeks ago was a run around.

When I queried as to what is taking so long, I was told that they are backed up. My last name is Peace which seems to always trigger deep security checks, although my family roots go back to North Carolina Cherokees. This always causes me to wonder if I am put on hold because I am a person of color. I am not playing a race card, just wondering. Maybe I am playing a race card because it seems to always come into play at some level.

Had I not read such glowing reports of New Hampshire in this forum I would not have such concerns, but I will put my concerns on hold and when I am in New Hampshire I will just open carry for the present with all the disadvantages that brings especially for a large, tall person of color.

Live Free or Die....
peace

Is it possible that there is someone with the same name that is wanted somewhere? Do you know anybody on your local PD that can run a check on you and see if somebody else comes up? Maybe somebody has hijacked your identity at some point. I don't know, just brain storming. Good luck with this.

Is it possible that there is someone with the same name that is wanted somewhere? Do you know anybody on your local PD that can run a check on you and see if somebody else comes up? Maybe somebody has hijacked your identity at some point. I don't know, just brain storming. Good luck with this.

I buy about a gun a month lately no problems with NICS; just six months ago I applied for my ATF Curios & Relics license, it took a total of 16 days from the day I mailed it to VA; to the day it showed up in the mail.

Nope, I don't believe that's the problem.

NH has had a hiring freeze for some time. The number of employees on the state level is not that extensive and the processing of the permits isn't a top priority. Don't look for it to get get better as the Governor has stated he will be holding down future spending.

I buy about a gun a month lately no problems with NICS; just six months ago I applied for my ATF Curios & Relics license, it took a total of 16 days from the day I mailed it to VA; to the day it showed up in the mail.

Nope, I don't believe that's the problem.

Then I tend to agree with the above poster rscalzo, you are probably in some type of delay vortex, as am I in Maine where I've been waiting about 11 weeks due to short staffing.

I applied for a NH non-res LTC and was rejected for not having an unrestricted Mass LTC. My mass ltc reads Restrictions: Sporting so when i called my local police to see if i could change my license the Lt. said "call the sergeant in charge in NH and let him know that even though there is a restriction on the card any Class A LTC in Mass is considered an unrestricted License to carry. has anyone else encountered this and anyone have any advice??

Thanks!

I applied for a NH non-res LTC and was rejected for not having an unrestricted Mass LTC. My mass ltc reads Restrictions: Sporting so when i called my local police to see if i could change my license the Lt. said "call the sergeant in charge in NH and let him know that even though there is a restriction on the card any Class A LTC in Mass is considered an unrestricted License to carry. has anyone else encountered this and anyone have any advice??

Thanks!

There was a period where NH would not honor a restricted Mass LTC. It changed recently...like last December. Try reapplying, you should be all set.

FWIW NH permits are still taking a long time.

A friend of mine that I just talked to applied for his around christmastime and just got his in the mail today, so "over a month" sounds like its the running deal at the moment for nonresident permits.

-Mike

FWIW NH permits are still taking a long time.

I wouldn't expect it to get any better in the near future. The Governor has stated that there will be a hiring freeze in effect to keep down the costs of government. I had heard that certain departments were somewhat short staffed to start with so I suggest patience.

I applied the first week of January and my lic arrived in the mail yesterday. So about a 7-week turnaround time for me…

I wouldn't expect it to get any better in the near future. The Governor has stated that there will be a hiring freeze in effect to keep down the costs of government. I had heard that certain departments were somewhat short staffed to start with so I suggest patience.

I saw your post earlier about this in the thread, but I just decided to post an update because awhile back I read a post by some fellow on here (forget his username) who was concerned about the amount of time it was taking. In the grand scheme of things it's really not that bad though, given the cost of the thing... most states have a more expensive, harder to get permit for about the same amount of lifespan (4 yrs or so) and they -still- take longer to obtain than NH's does.

-Mike

For non-resident permits I believe NH has to actually contact the issuing state of your permit and confirm that your permit is valid. At least when my application was taking a long time I called up and they said their delay was in getting something/information from Massachusetts.

There was a period where NH would not honor a restricted Mass LTC. It changed recently...like last December. Try reapplying, you should be all set.

So i re-applied for the NR LTC in NH after being declined the last time due to my sporting restriction. i just noticed that my $20 check was cashed by the State of NH!!!! Anyone remember how long it took to get the NRLTC after the check was cashed??

Thanks!!!

So i re-applied for the NR LTC in NH after being declined the last time due to my sporting restriction. i just noticed that my $20 check was cashed by the State of NH!!!! Anyone remember how long it took to get the NRLTC after the check was cashed??

Thanks!!!

I just remember a 3 week wait from the time I mailed it. People are saying it is getting a bit longer at this time. If they cashed your check, you should be all set. I recall that if they weren't going to issue because of a restriction, they sent the whole package back, including the check.

Back
Top Bottom