Nightforce VS. Leupold

Anyone have any input on these scopes? Comparing a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20X 50mm Front Focal Plane from the custom shop against a Nightforce 5.5-22 56mm... Finding costs about the same on-line. Is NF glass still better than what Leupold was producing? Obviously NF has Zero-stop,Leupold doesn't... Love some opinions..

Also, anyone have any input on Vortex PST 6-24X50.....? I realize we get what we pay for and I'm sure there are some key features on a $1800 scope that won't be on a $800 scope,just looking for input...

I'd go with the Nightforce although the Leupold is also a great scope. Years ago I had the same dilemma and ended up going with an IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical with an illuminated MP8 reticle. It's FFP and very easy to range with. It all comes down to personal preference with any of these..

To get an idea about size, the IOR is on the bottom and the one on top is a Bushnell Elite 10X Mildot. I would definitely consider an IOR if you haven't already. The 3-18 Tactical is an awesome scope and they all use superior Zeiss glass.

tc1.jpg

It's a lot of scope period. 10X is adequate for 1,000 yards, and I can't think of a 1,000 yard range in southern New England.

Scope going on a RRA LAR-8. Shooting sub MOA right now. Will be for match mostly. Doing Optics @ Perry w/it and as much as I can around here in New England. Have access to property in western MA where I can get out to 1000+. Shot long range(in the field and range) in service w/10X.

I went through the exact same process for my LAR-8. After looking at all the options, warranty and pricing I really wanted a Nightforce but went with the Leupold. I went with the Mark4 3.5x10-40mm LR/T with the illuminated Recticle. The comparable Nightforce was significantly more expensive. If you can get the Nightforce for the same price as the Leupold you should jump all over it.

I've put about 200 rnds through her with this scope and I can put a 1-1.5 MOA at 200 yrds using surplus ammo. I've kept it under 1 MOA with match ammo and really trying. Scope has been solid using a Larue mount. This is my third Leupold and I've had good luck with all of them. One is on my Serbu 50 BMG rifle. That scope takes some punishment on that rifle. I have 400 plus rounds down that rifle and it's still holding zero without any issue.

Good luck with your search.

Magnification requirements really depend on the application and not necessarily the range. I've shot 20X scopes at 50 feet and have known others that use 36X. Many F-class shooters are running 42X benchrest scopes.

B

To get an idea about size, the IOR is on the bottom and the one on top is a Bushnell Elite 10X Mildot. I would definitely consider an IOR if you haven't already. The 3-18 Tactical is an awesome scope and they all use superior Zeiss glass.

tc1.jpg

Looks like the one on the bottom has a sunshade on it, and the one on top does not. Am I wrong here?

Looks like the one on the bottom has a sunshade on it, and the one on top does not. Am I wrong here?

You're correct! That's my 204 Ruger target barrel. It's an absolute tack driver with that scope. One hole groups all day long at 100 yards and dime sized groups at 200. With no wind *-)

Does anyone know a store that carries these scopes in stock where I can actually compare the 2?

Most places around here won't even carry tactical scopes. There's some places in Florida I know of that would have both. I would suggest checking out a tactical shooting forum like snipers paradise/hide and read some reviews. I bet most would go with the Nightforce.

That's pretty much what I'm hearing is go with the NF. I read alot of good about the Leupold Mark 4's though as well. I'm also hearing the NF tends to have better clarity at higher power and longer distance... Any input?

I have a pre zero stop Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56 on my 40x. It's the cats ass.

Have you had a chance to compare it with the other scope I mentioned? Or how would you compare it? I've heard the NF's glass is better than the Leupold's once you increase the Magnification and range. I've heard the Leupold doesn't quite have the clarity. Like it was stated before... very rare to have the oppurtunity to get beyond 600 in New England... I have access to private property where I can though and plan on taking advantage of that..

It's a lot of scope period. 10X is adequate for 1,000 yards, and I can't think of a 1,000 yard range in southern New England.

Unless you are shooting F-Class. At 24X you are going to be handicapped. 36X is probably standard and most are heading to 40X.

Back
Top Bottom