• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Noob seeks "Best Bang For Short $$$" in AR Optics

Gun = Bushmaster M4A3 (flattop)

Go/No-Go Budget = $200 +/- (excluding mounting hardware)

What is most popular and/or makes the most sense on my very limited budget?

What brands and types of sighting devices should I be considering?

I am old, farsighted and use glasses to read if that matters.

Thanks!!!

CLMN

for your budget, you can probably acquire

Millett DMS-1 or a Bushnell Trophy 1x32

Midway USA or SWFA carries both.

*note, the DMS 1 is 1 to 4 magnification while the Bushnell is not magnified at all.

if you are doing longer range shooting, maybe a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 or save a couple few more dollars for a Super Sniper 10x42...

i happen to use a WOTAC 10x42 from sightwonders.com for up to 300 yards it does fine. -not with an AR though.

lots of optics out there, but your budget limits, the Bushnell is probably a safest bet...

what distance are you shooting?

*note, the DMS 1 is 1 to 4 magnification while the Bushnell is not magnified at all.

if you are doing longer range shooting, maybe a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 or save a couple few more dollars for a Super Sniper 10x42...

i happen to use a WOTAC 10x42 from sightwonders.com for up to 300 yards it does fine. -not with an AR though.

lots of optics out there, but your budget limits, the Bushnell is probably a safest bet...

what distance are you shooting?
Understood. I simply want something 'appropriate' for an AR-style carbine.

I am under no illusions that this will be my only optics purchase... just my first. [grin]

I'm anticipating that most target shooting will be at 75 ft (indoors), 100 yards and 200 yards.

CLMN

Vortex Red Dot at B&H Photo with a $25 gift card (which I used to buy extra batteries). Just bought one for the M4gery. 2000 hr. battery life, antifog, antishock, waterproof, red/green 4 MOA dot, comes with mount & covers, NV compatible and all for $140+shipping. Vortex service is reported to be excellent - they stand behind their products.

It's the poor man's Aimpoint as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563215-REG/Vortex_SFRD_AR15_1x30_StrikeFire_Red_Dot.html

Last edited:
Thanks again!

At the last couple of shows (Marlboro and West Springfield) there were two sets of tables selling scopes and sighting devices exclusively. I noticed that their scopes were divided into three categories: General Purpose Rifle (or no designation), Hunting and Tactical. They also had numerous scopes/devices in my price range.

Two questions:

1) What is the difference between the three kinds (categories) of scopes? and,

2) Were these guys (if you know who I am talking about) selling junk or good stuff?

As you can tell, outside of a couple of the super-premium brand names, I know nothing of the different scope/sighting device brands.

CLMN

Vortex Red Dot at B&H Photo with a $25 gift card (which I used to buy extra batteries). Just bought one for the M4gery. 2000 hr. battery life, antifog, antishock, waterproof, red/green 4 MOA dot, comes with mount & covers, NV compatible and all for $140+shipping. Vortex service is reported to be excellent - they stand behind their products.

It's the poor man's Aimpoint as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563215-REG/Vortex_SFRD_AR15_1x30_StrikeFire_Red_Dot.html
Very interesting and well within my budget. I'll check it out!

Thank you,

CLMN

Very interesting and well within my budget. I'll check it out!

Thank you,

CLMN

I own a Millett DMS-1, too and love it. Millett is an excellent scope and I have it on my full-sized AR. I just wanted a simple red dot for the M4gery that I'm building from the latest Group Buy.

Eventually... both.

For this initial purchase, I am wide open to suggestions. [grin]

CLMN

I'd get a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40.

Kittery Trading Post had a used, like new one for $150. Midway and SWFA should have them for 200-220 new. I use this scope and am very impressed with it.

If you can make the trip to Kittery (and if you've never been there, it's worth a trip), pick up that scope, then order the LT-104 scope mount from LaRue Tactical directly. The mount costs slightly more than that particular used scope ($180ish) but is worth every single penny of that and more.

I'd get a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40.

Kittery Trading Post had a used, like new one for $150. Midway and SWFA should have them for 200-220 new. I use this scope and am very impressed with it.

If you can make the trip to Kittery (and if you've never been there, it's worth a trip), pick up that scope, then order the LT-104 scope mount from LaRue Tactical directly. The mount costs slightly more than that particular used scope ($180ish) but is worth every single penny of that and more.
Supposedly, I've already *blown* a few great bargains in used... but not knowing one brand & model from another, or what represents a good value vs. something inappropriate or overpriced, there wasn't much I could do about it. [thinking]

I've made a list of every suggestion made in this thread and I am checking them all out one by one. With luck, I'll be knowledgeable and confident enough to buy one by late next week. [grin]

CLMN

Just in case you're worried about the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40mm's durability... Barrett ships them with their .50 BMG Model 99 police packages.

Just in case you're worried about the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40mm's durability... Barrett ships them with their .50 BMG Model 99 police packages.
Not worried at all. [grin] As best as I can tell, it looks like a fine scope for the type and price... albeit slightly above my go/no-go point without going used (and a trip up to Maine is not in the cards anytime soon). With no job, my budget situation for now is a "zero sum game"... so whatever I need to spend on this initial scope comes out of something else. Put another way, the less I can get by spending for now, the better off I am in other ways.

I must say that as I am doing my research I am very impressed with the set of recommendations made here... and again, I thank everyone who contributed.

CLMN

The question you should first answer is what your going to do with the AR.

I would try and scrounge up a little more and possibly pick up a used Aimpoint M2 or M3 w/ mount or even an Eotech if it was for just general range fun/classes/SHTF. Another RDS type sight to look at would to try and get a Bushnell. Friend has one and loves it.

If your looking at it as more of target shooting then like a few recommended the Super Sniper that many here have and shot.

The question you should first answer is what your going to do with the AR.
Understood. I would have loved to have found out that there was one "universal all-purpose AR scope" available within my limited budget... [grin] ... but it's clear that is not the case. For this initial scope, I am currently leaning toward a 1X to 4X red dot-type scope... something with very high/unlimited eye relief.
I would try and scrounge up a little more and possibly pick up a used Aimpoint M2 or M3 w/ mount or even an Eotech if it was for just general range fun/classes/SHTF. Another RDS type sight to look at would to try and get a Bushnell. Friend has one and loves it.

If your looking at it as more of target shooting then like a few recommended the Super Sniper that many here have and shot.
Money is extremely tight right now... so an Aimpoint or Eotech is totally out of the question. Sadly, that $200 max I talked about is, for all intents and purposes, a hard number.

Which Bushnell does your friend have?

CLMN

I would just wait, Ratdog will be starting another EO Tech group buy!
Not an NES member yet... so no group buy options for me. Besides, with no other alternatives to fall back on, I'm not in a good position to wait. [thinking]

CLMN

Here's a hint: the Aimpoint CompC series is the same thing as the CompM series except that they are waterproof to something like 5 meters instead of 20 (who's going scuba diving with their rifle?) and the battery case and elevation and windage adjustment caps do not have little wire lanyards.

And used CompCs command a lot less cash than the military tacticool version.

I use a CompC with 4 MOA dot and it does all I need to do. I paid $200 for it.

Yep, and I doubt you're concerned with night vision compatibility either.

Long range glass, the Bushnell Elite 10x40 is my suggestion.

Short range glass - either the Bushnell Trophy red dot or a older used Aimpoint.

Here's a hint: the Aimpoint CompC series is the same thing as the CompM series except that they are waterproof to something like 5 meters instead of 20 (who's going scuba diving with their rifle?) and the battery case and elevation and windage adjustment caps do not have little wire lanyards.

And used CompCs command a lot less cash than the military tacticool version.

I use a CompC with 4 MOA dot and it does all I need to do. I paid $200 for it.
I did some serious Internet searching last night and again this morning. I can't find any for sale that cheap at this time. Everything out there is $300 and up... even in used. New is all $350-$400 and up.

I did see where some discontinued ones had been blown out for less a while back... but nothing like that deal is currently out there. Sounds like you did really, really well! Want to sell it? [wink]

CLMN

Short range glass - either the Bushnell Trophy red dot or a older used Aimpoint.
As a practical matter, I am down to these three under $200 choices (listed in order of increasing cost):

1) Barska Model AC10984 for $86.72

41Q2iudNYiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

2) Bushnell Model 73-0132P for $135.00

41qev3WwlcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

3) Vortex StrikeFire for $149.98

51WnFt6kn6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A30DGGRQPDAP9Y&v=glance

Keeping this initial 1X scope purchase as low cost as possible will help me get into a distance scope that much sooner. At this point, every single dollar counts... so of these three final candidates, which represents the "Best Bang for the Buck"?

CLMN

Back
Top Bottom