• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

North Attleboro - American Firearms School

S

steveyc272

How busy is this place? Being a public range, I would have to assume there are large amounts of shooters on the weekends as well as a fair amount during the week. I am looking to join a range in the area however do not want to be part of a club that is constantly busy and full of inexperienced shooters (I am NOT implying that this range is, just that it is open to the public and rents firearms makes it more likely). Thanks for the input.

AFS is a good place to shoot. However, they are often closed to the public (they rent out to leo departments) and they do have unsafe shooters from time to time.

Its hit or miss. I was there this morning and it wasn't bad, but some weekends it is packed.

As for inexperienced shooters, they have them from time to time. Most of the regulars are very safe, but you do occasionally see someone who probably shouldn't be handling a gun. Like any range or club you need to be aware of your surroundings and alert a staff member if you see someone being unsafe, they are usually very good about keeping an eye on new shooters, at least if you bring it to their attention.

Im a member there myself. Is a great place to go when you want to shoot and the weather makes it difficult. Sometimes hard to get in because they rent the place to LE. The ventilation system, ... ehhh... Always wind up tasting lead in my throat when I leave which has me wondering if i should start wearin a mask there LOL. Electronic target presenters, very nice. Policing up brass with a broom.. also nice. Pricey for sure to be a member, unless you live close enough to go once a week. But walkin and shoot isnt too bad either. I think its 20 dollars an hour.

I shoot there regularly. Yeah, there are the occasional idiots but no more than other ranges that I have been on. It is worth the cost for me because I live relatively close, it is indoor and the RSO's are heads up about newbies and routinely check out what's happening on the range.

I have no reason not to recommend it.

-Rick

Since its an indoor range do that have any caliber limits? For instance can I bring my WASR-10 there and shoot my own ammo?

Since its an indoor range do that have any caliber limits? For instance can I bring my WASR-10 there and shoot my own ammo?

They rent AK's and I've seen plenty of people with them, so 7.62x39 should be fine. They do have restrictions on certain types of shotgun shells, I think bird shot is not allowed, but maybe someone else will know for sure. I wouldn't bring anything in .50BMG, but they do allow quite a lot.

I haven't been there in a while but for shotguns it used to be 00 Buck or less pellets, like slugs. Shot with more pellets than 00 is more likely to end up in your neighbor's lane.

AK is A OK

Any LEO's here?

Just curious why LE gets to black out an entire range?

are their shooting drills any more intense or top secret that civilians? Or is logistical, just amt of officers qualifying/shooting etc?

Any LEO's here?

Just curious why LE gets to black out an entire range?

are their shooting drills any more intense or top secret that civilians? Or is logistical, just amt of officers qualifying/shooting etc?

I am not affiliated with AFS nor am I a member, but I think that I can answer your question.

If some random LEO shows up to use the range, it's still open to the public.

However, AFS "leases" range time for practice and qualification shoots to various LEAs. When they block out that time, it is akin to a restaurant closing for a private party only.

Those LE groups probably keep AFS "in the black" financially, as that is contracted income they can count on, whereas the walk-in crowd can't be counted on all the time to generate a steady stream of revenue.

I've only belonged to private clubs, but each of them has allowed PDs to use the ranges for qualification shoots and usually the BOD has forbidden any member from even being present while these events are taking place.

Likewise, if you can drum up a private party large enough I'm 90% sure you could book the entire range there as well.

They rent AK's and I've seen plenty of people with them, so 7.62x39 should be fine. They do have restrictions on certain types of shotgun shells, I think bird shot is not allowed, but maybe someone else will know for sure. I wouldn't bring anything in .50BMG, but they do allow quite a lot.

I called them today asking if they permitted .30-06 and they said their backstop was rated to handle anything up to and including .50 BMG.

I've gone there twice in the last month and a half and shot 9mm, .40S&W, 00 BUCK and 5.56 no problem. I set a goal this year to go to the range more often (even though it's ~ 50 min. 1-way from my house) so I bought a membership (includes 3 guest passes).

Used to be a member there and would probably go a couple of times a month. Nice facilities and the guys who work there are a pretty good group. My memory is that they permit anything up to 50 BMG - but I REALLY wouldn't want to be one lane over from a guy shooting one.

As others said, they do regularly lease out the entire range to various LEO's for training and qualification. Usage can be heavy on weekends, but if you go during the week you shouldn't have any problem getting a lane.

Also, they used to have a very neat simulator. Not sure what about the details of the technology, but it basically projected various scenarios on to a movie screen which you could fire live ammo at. It then recorded hits. Didn't seem to get much use, but the couple of times I tried it I really liked it.

Didn't renew my membership because toward the end I just wasn't using it that much. It was a little pricey and kind of hike for me to get to. Now I just tough it out at my local range, although sometimes when the temps are in the teens and my hands start going numb I do miss being indoors.

American Firearms School N. Attleboro MA

Has anyone noticed the decline at AFS? I joined there @ 7 yrs ago and at the time it was great. Being a member meant something back than. They had personal training, 13 stations, and 2 live fire simulators. They weren't cheap, but it was worth it for the simulators alone.
Since than, it now cost members $30. for a 1/2 hr for the remaining one working simulator. One of the more recent issues is that on Weekends when most of us shoot, they have been hosting "bachelor parties". These parties take up a number of stations and last for a couple of hours. You walk in there on one of those days, and you'll see a dozen members standing around waiting to shoot? They rent firearms to folks off the street and the policy used to be that members get the first option for an open station, now it's first come first serve. My membership just ran out and I am NOT going to re-up. It's very unfortunate. Members are dropping out left and right moving to outdoor ranges. Looks like thats where I need to be..

Come check out Hopkinton Sportsman's. We've got an indoor pistol range.

And there are review threads on local ranges in the section including an entry on AFS. Good review and observation but it belongs there. Welcome to the board and good on you for going green early!

Has anyone noticed the decline at AFS? I joined there @ 7 yrs ago and at the time it was great. Being a member meant something back than. They had personal training, 13 stations, and 2 live fire simulators. They weren't cheap, but it was worth it for the simulators alone.
Since than, it now cost members $30. for a 1/2 hr for the remaining one working simulator. One of the more recent issues is that on Weekends when most of us shoot, they have been hosting "bachelor parties". These parties take up a number of stations and last for a couple of hours. You walk in there on one of those days, and you'll see a dozen members standing around waiting to shoot? They rent firearms to folks off the street and the policy used to be that members get the first option for an open station, now it's first come first serve. My membership just ran out and I am NOT going to re-up. It's very unfortunate. Members are dropping out left and right moving to outdoor ranges. Looks like thats where I need to be..

What do you expect with a public range? I don't go there any more because it's friggen expensive and always packed unless you go weeknights or EARLY on the weekends (when there's no large parties). I definitely haven't seen any privilege to being a member as i've always seen first come first serve. My only gripe is that target machines have been acting up a TON lately and one of their benches collapsed with my AR on it.

BTW, my bachelor party last summer and one of my friends this summer were one of these parties.

By doing this, I've been able to help get LTC's into the hands of about 10 more people

I guess there are good reasons for these bachelor parties, you make a good point. However it doesn't help my attitude when I'm standing there for an hour with limited time. I feel better now, but just a little bit..

Thanks

One of the more recent issues is that on Weekends when most of us shoot, they have been hosting "bachelor parties". These parties take up a number of stations and last for a couple of hours. You walk in there on one of those days, and you'll see a dozen members standing around waiting to shoot?

The private parties on the weekends thing has been fixed at least. Or at least that is what I heard last weekend. Lanes should go to members first... its too bad they don't. I likely won't be renewing my membership either, but that is more because I hope to be in NH by then. [party]

I used to be a member, and used to go on the off-months when my outdoor range was inconvenient. Alright deal, shoot inside comfortably, quietly, alone for a bit. Soon, I saw some of the people off the street that frequented the place, and after getting 'swept' several times with loaded/unloaded weapons by the 'thugs', for lack of a better term, I thought seriously about continuing to go there.
I know the people that work there mean the very best, but when I'm minding my own business, in my own lane, shooting a brand new-to-me, Kel-tec .32 (not the smoothest gun ever) @ 25 yds and doing a mediocre job at getting all in the black an employee grabs my shoulder mid-live fire session and yells into my ear "whats your problem, your shooting like shit", I thought I'd had enough there. I know he meant the best, but with everything else, it sealed the deal for me.
No professionalism, no solution/help offered, no conversation, just belittling comments.

I’ve been a member there on and off for about as long as you (maybe longer), now I only shoot there during the winter. The place has gone through a couple of cycles. Right now it’s not as good as it was when new nor is it as good as it was when rebuilt, but it is better than it was when Jim “fixed” the range. I get in early during the weekend and later in the afternoon during the week.

When it comes to nonmembers and members, I don’t have a problem with first come first served. The benefit I get by being a member is, not having to pay for the range time (what is that $20?). I would guess that with a membership, and given the number of times I shoot, that I pay only a few dollars a visit. When it’s cold, raining or just miserable outside, being able to shoot indoors is well worth it.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I became a member last December and with this Friday's visit I'll pay for my membership (and next year it'll be $50 less). All my visits so far have been during the weekdays when it's not too crowded. The only complaint I have is that it takes me ~ 50 - 60 min. (1-way) to get there but so far it's been worth it. In the warmer months I'll be enjoying the outdoor big bore range at the Lowell Sportsmen's Club and will go back to the AFS in the fall.

Every club has something different to offer. AFS was the first range I joined after I got my LTC due to the range of firearms allowed there. I'll generally stop in after work during the week when it is not crowded and the unlicensed crowd is at a minimum.

I also belong to a private club, primarily for the 100 yard outdoor range. There is a different ebb-and-flow to each organization. At AFS I can check my targets after a couple of magazines to see how I'm doing, while at the private club I'll wait for the cease-fire. Both clubs fill different needs. [wink]

Yeah, I went in there a few weeks back with a buddy. I'm not a member and my friend is new to firearms. I figured we'd do a little shooting, maybe I could get another person to get an LTC.

The place was horrible. I can live with the excessive wait times... hey if they're busy, their busy; but the service/organization/everything else is unacceptable. They weren't organized enough to have a formal waiting list that would allow us to sign up and leave for lunch or whatever -- and it was supposed to be a two hour wait! The shop was pretty silly, they had some overpriced ammo and beaten up guns that would probably fall apart if you tried to shoot them, but it was all pretty pathetic - just sitting around collecting dust. Nothing was particularly useful - no decent holsters or anything like that. The final straw was the two thuggish guys running? trying to run? the place. They clearly had no interest in running the business. We had to ask repeatedly just to get the most basic information on the wait times etc... and all their comments were just so nonchalant. As if you were silly for being surprised that you had to stand around twirling your thumbs for 2+ hours and weren't even able to put your name on the waiting list and hang out elsewhere.

I don't see myself going back there. Maybe if they lose enough members due to how they run things that they get to the point of actually needing to offer a decent service... then I'll bite. But I don't like to deal with businesses that don't need my business and don't want it.

The few times I've gone to AFS, sometimes alone and sometimes with a friend, I've never had any problems - been there weekend and week day, both around noon, no wait, open lanes... Once there was an instructor on the range giving 'free advice', nothing too major, but he was nice and he seemed helpful to those on the range who looked like they needed the help. The one thing that AFS does that I dont like is charge 2 people $20/ea to share a lane... the same as if you just got 2 lanes.

Unintended Consequences Of The Ammunition Shortage

When I stopped in after work earlier this week, a sign was posted that they were virtually out of most ammo except .22LR. So, no rentals other than .22's. The rental cabinet was empty except for some .22LR pistols.

The net result is that I was shooting by myself for nearly an hour before a few LEO's came in. Recently I've found at least four or five lanes occupied when I go after work. I am somewhat surprised at the number of renters vs. owners, and also that I missed the usual variety of shooters at the range. [wink]

We will have more 9mm and 40 S&W on Monday. Should be getting a shipment in the afternoon. But its gonna be more expensive that recently compared to recent ammo prices due to availability.

Back
Top Bottom