Pick Me a Semi-auto Shotgun

Another vote for the 1301. Not exactly like Legos but pretty modular. Tube length is easy to change, not sure about barrel, and you can put in the beretta a400 recoil system makes it a super easy gun to shoot fast.

$1000 is the new $500.

The 1301's have been >$1300 for a while now and Ive just started to get alerts listing them at $1200 and change. Moving in the right direction, but too much for me to drop on something that I want (but have no idea why I want it) and will likely make 1 range trip and then sit in the safe.
It’s an investment….that’s what I tell my wife! 😂

If you're anywhere near the Boat and Gun store, they had a 1301 in there for $1300 when I was last in there a couple weeks back. I want to say it was the tactical with the standard stock.

I mean… you already saw my 930 SPX post in the pump thread. I have had 0 issues with anything I fed it. The cheaper price gives you money to tacticool it up with 14 pieces of flair and stay under budget

So found this thread a couple of weeks ago when I was hell bent on a M4. But decided to look into the Beretta 1301 and truth be told, I fell in love with the look of the Marine variant. Went to the Mill today and picked one up. Light and faster shooting than I will ever be. Went straight to the range from the shop. Had a failure to feed after the very first shot using target load #8 shot 2 3/4 @ 1,290 fps…second time same thing…switched to double 00 buck and fired three rounds no issue…then fired two 3 inch 1oz slugs to loosen her up…switched back to target load and fired 5 rounds as fast (and safely) as I could pull the trigger and had no more issues…gun is light but aside from the 3 inch slugs, recoil was fine. Another vote for Beretta (and this is from a guy who LOVES his Benelli Super Nova).
745B033A-2C93-465A-86C6-3AC77E06C71A.jpeg

Remington Model 11. Get it in any condition you can find it, then modify it like this:
krisko-reminton-sportsman-wwii-10.jpg

'Merica!
1659818776805.png

Today I shot a Rock Island Armory 12 gauge semi-auto. Magazine fed.

Yes, it does have a kick. But it was fun to shoot! And I think the price is $675 or so.

A lower cost option that seems like a solid shotgun.

#1......Belgian made Browning A5 I am still finding these at gun shows that are in beautiful condition and < $1000.00
#2......Remington 1100
#3......Made in Japan Browning A5.. These are great guns but the Belgium Browning has stood the test of time. I still use my Grandfathers Browning (it was FN back then) . It was made in 1924 and I still wonder about all the Deer, Rabbits and birds this gun brought home. Four generations have used this gun.
IMHO I would not spend money on a shotgun that did not have a steel receiver!!!!!!!

#1......Belgian made Browning A5 I am still finding these at gun shows that are in beautiful condition and < $1000.00
#2......Remington 1100
#3......Made in Japan Browning A5.. These are great guns but the Belgium Browning has stood the test of time. I still use my Grandfathers Browning (it was FN back then) . It was made in 1924 and I still wonder about all the Deer, Rabbits and birds this gun brought home. Four generations have used this gun.
IMHO I would not spend money on a shotgun that did not have a steel receiver!!!!!!!
Beautifully made time pieces of which I have many of them in 12, 16, and 20 gauge. To hunt with they are great.

Would not recommend as target, or self defense guns. There is just better functioning stuff out there that is cheaper, more reliable, lighter and has less recoil than a spring recoil semi auto.

And .....these will not be made anymore because production cost would be too high. So over time, the value on all A-5's are going to go up. I'll shoot the nuts out of some 500 dollar POS turkish gas or inertia autoloader. Itll never be worth crap.

But I'm only hunting with Grampa's irreplaceable timepieces a few times a year to keep the value up, and so I can hand that piece down in good condition to my son or grandson.

That sucks.

Sometimes the timing is terrible. The last two guns I bought, I paid for them and the 2 days later had to take the pup to the vet. $500 one time, $1000 the other.
over 3k in vet bills and still lost one to cancer a month ago. I'll build the funds up again someday

It really is a shame.
Mine was the Jerry Miculek Pro Series Tactical Class 930, so I had high hopes.
There was plenty of internet "tweak this" and/or "polish that", but I just wanted a shotgun that would run.
The only issue I've had with my 1301 is using old paper rounds that split.

View attachment 555633
I wouldn’t blame the gun!

Beautifully made time pieces of which I have many of them in 12, 16, and 20 gauge. To hunt with they are great.

Would not recommend as target, or self defense guns. There is just better functioning stuff out there that is cheaper, more reliable, lighter and has less recoil than a spring recoil semi auto.

And .....these will not be made anymore because production cost would be too high. So over time, the value on all A-5's are going to go up. I'll shoot the nuts out of some 500 dollar POS turkish gas or inertia autoloader. Itll never be worth crap.

But I'm only hunting with Grampa's irreplaceable timepieces a few times a year to keep the value up, and so I can hand that piece down in good condition to my son or grandson.

Meh - to each his own.

I can't really find a new gun (made this century) that I really like. They all just feel wrong. This is especially true of shotguns and rifles.

My first reach shotgun is a Savage 520 pump. But OP asked for semi auto.

I'll take the Browning A5 or any of it's clones (Remington 11, Savage 720) and never look back. I'll pass on the new production A5s though, even those in 16ga.

Besides - if you mount a bayonet on a long action like the A5 you've got one hell of a sewing machine out at the end. lol

Back
Top Bottom