Plans for the 4th?

Yesterday, we went up to Chelmsford to a friends house to see the parade and celebrate our friend Nettie's birthday a week late (several of her friends were out of town last week... in Alaska. :D )

So we got there early since Chelmsford was closing Rt 4 for a road race and parade. Wonderful parade... it was over 2 hours long, and had over 130 units. Also lotsa old cars.

And Chelmsford parades seem to have a unique tradition - the kids on the floats will have super soakers and shoot at some of the spectators... and the spectators fire back! One family group near me had wonderful fire discipline; even though the mobile units had the high ground, this family used mass fire to such a great effect that the kids on the floats just cringed back and surrendered! But one fireman had the last laugh - he fired back with a BIG fire extinguisher! I was in hysterics most of the time watching this.

Two things that I noted... very few people stood for the frequent color guards. My friends did after I suggested that they do so. Needless to say, I stood every time Old Glory went by, bad foot and all. Just wished there was a vet nearby to kick the a$$es of the people who weren't standing.

And when the various veterans groups did come by, everyone just applauded... constantly. I stood for all of them; it just seemed right. I'm just glad that I was wearing dark sunglasses... so no one could see me crying when they went by. I'm not even sure I can articulate why myself... I was just overwhelmed to see these men and women who, sometime in the past, put on a uniform, shouldered a rifle and went out and put their lives on the line for people like me. Standing and applauding as they walked and rode by seemed like so little... but it was all I could do. Especially as I couldn't speak through the lump in my throat.

There were also many, many marching bands and drum corps; I heard the Marine Corps hymn several times, as well as As The Caissons Go Rolling Along and You're a Grand Old Flag. Got a few surprised looks as I sang along with that one, too. :)

Last night, after we got home, we put in 1776 and watched it. Seemed appropriate.

Today we went shopping for PFC TJ, and went to dinner at the Wayside Inn in Sudbury. Tomorrow, we'll go to Old Sturbridge Village to hear the Declaration of Independence read.

All in all, I think it'll be a great weekend. It sure is so far!

Ross

All went well today. Decent fireworks in town that our guests enjoyed. Ran into some long time friends from town, chatted some with the POs that were stationed at my old post (for 17 years I was at that spot).

Tomorrow we're off to Bellingham for a BBQ and then their fireworks at the Bellingham High School, with friends who were our guests tonight.

I'll probably head over to Ames R&P and do some handgun shooting in the PM after working out at the health club in the morning.

dwarven1 said:
Last night, after we got home, we put in 1776 and watched it. Seemed appropriate.

Today we went shopping for PFC TJ, and went to dinner at the Wayside Inn in Sudbury. Tomorrow, we'll go to Old Sturbridge Village to hear the Declaration of Independence read.

Ross

We watched it last night too!!!!! I love that movie. :D

Hubby was at the Wayside Inn today. He marched in the Sudbury parade with the Militia, then they went to the Inn to change the flag to (what I call) the Betsy Ross flag. :D

I stand up to applaude them as well Ross, as well as for the flag. I know what you mean.

Had a good day here! Health club to work off yesterday's BBQ, then Ames R&P to do some practice.

Then off to Bellingham to another BBQ and their fireworks. Very nice job on the fireworks and a great weekend was had by all!

Had Sat & Sun off (regular days off). Sat spent doing nutin'. Sunday, friends came over for a put together quick cookout. That was fun.
Mon, double shift. Actually pretty quiet where I was posted and had a good view of the works. All and all, not too bad. I'd still love to have a 4th off to have some real fun though.

Back
Top Bottom