• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question About Holster Wear

MAGG

NES Member
I was wondering do the hard plastic holsters put wear marks on your guns? I havent stepped up into a nice holster yet and I still use one of the cheap neoprine ones(I know I know haha) Im asking because im a bit of a neat freak and like to try to keep my guns looking good. Didnt know and figured one of the veteran CCW guys could help me out with an answer. thanks in advance

Rule #1- carry guns will get wear. Accept it, deal with it, and move on with life. The sooner you accept this the easier things will get.

-Mike

I have an inhereted Luger that has nice piece of holster wear. It's a pre WWI commercial piece, that was a WWII GI bring-back. The left grip panel has a hole in the checkering from a knot in the stitching of the holster.

Damage?
History?
Character?

You decide.

What the Doctor said, is true. A carry piece is a tool, treat it as such: with care, but not kid gloves....

Rule #1- carry guns will get wear. Accept it, deal with it, and move on with life. The sooner you accept this the easier things will get.

-Mike

I used to be fussy. I still am about the "collection", but my carry guns are tools, so I forced myself to look at them that way. I think wear adds character, and is what makes mine, different from yours.

I was wondering do the hard plastic holsters put wear marks on your guns? I havent stepped up into a nice holster yet and I still use one of the cheap neoprine ones(I know I know haha) Im asking because im a bit of a neat freak and like to try to keep my guns looking good. Didnt know and figured one of the veteran CCW guys could help me out with an answer. thanks in advance

they are tools. Tools get worn. If you need to have safe queens, buy duplicates of the same gun.

If you are practicing regularly with your carry gun, which you should, it's going to get worn. Wear adds character. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
good advice and I do shoot my guns, they are not safe queens :) But your all right. I wont worry about it from now on

I get this question all the time.... holsters, no matter what the material, will wear the finish on guns. If you carry alot, get to know your local gun refinishing expert. I prefer Duracoat but also dig Cerakote and some of the fancy platings that folks offer.

Andy (holster maker)

I get this question all the time.... holsters, no matter what the material, will wear the finish on guns.

This. All holsters cause finish wear. Leather holsters may cause less wear than kydex holsters, but they still cause wear on the holsters.

I choose holsters based on functionality. How comfortable is the holster? How well does it conceal? How easy is it to draw from and holster? How much wear it does or does not put on the gun simply is rarely a consideration.

I get this question all the time.... holsters, no matter what the material, will wear the finish on guns. If you carry alot, get to know your local gun refinishing expert. I prefer Duracoat but also dig Cerakote and some of the fancy platings that folks offer.

Andy (holster maker)

This

Back
Top Bottom