Recommendation for first handguns ... to train, in home, to carry

I didn't say the .38Special +P round is a weakling round. Please dont' take anything I say personally. Geez. For a bunch of people who like guns, there are sure a lot of sensitive people here.

Happy Hangunners was a book written by a Special Forces Soldier from the Vietnam era and a 20year state trooper veteran. There were many things they said that I didn't like but one thing they did say that I have heard from other experts and I do not proclaim to be an expert, just friends of a lot of 'em. I have heard from other Special Forces Soldiers (me being nearby to a couple of members from the 20SFG), they have said that everything they've been told requires factors such as expansion rate and bullet speed. You gotta remember, .38 Special going at almost half the speed of a .40 cal might not provide adequate penetration if you DON'T buy the right bullet. However, I haven't heard one person say a bad thing about the .38Special +P!!! There are BULLETS WITH SLOW SPEED WITH RAPID EXPANSION RATES THAT WON'T CARRY VERY WELL IN A .38SPECIAL SNUBNOSE REVOLVER AT DISTANCES GREATER THAN 15 yards.

And the comment about making sure they're dead was me trying to make light of the situation. Again I apologize, I'll never post again.

one more thing.

Alchemist, the best shooters and instructors pretty much to a man say that practicing with a .22 will build the good habits and prevent bad ones from forming. More rounds = better shooting. .22 = cheaper = more rounds.

Just one more thing... like I said, no bad way of going about this buying a gun. And pretty hard to argue your point. However, I just have to say that it's hard to practice wielding a sword when you're practicing with a dagger.

The best gun for a person learning to shoot is a gun they're willing to shoot A LOT. Weight and accuracy and reliability and stopping power are all valid concerns, but they don't mean squat if you can't shoot the gun effectively. And the best way to learn to shoot effectively is LOTS of trigger time. So find yourself a gun you're comfortable shooting, you enjoy shooting, and you can afford to shoot a lot - that may mean a defensive caliber model and a .22, a conversion kit, or maybe just one gun. It's up to you.

That's how it begins...

What town/city you live in ? Some of us are likley to let you try something you're thinking of iffin' we've got one ourselves.

Better yet, join as a paid member, (19.00 measly bucks) come to a shoot or two, (We're a socialable bunch. [smile] ) there'll be lots of different guns to try !

I think that's the best advice on this thread so far. I can't think of a single gun that's legal to own, that at least one member of this forum doesn't own. It's not at all uncommon to have someone post, "I'm interested in XYZ gun, does anyone have on I can shoot?" and instantly receive several invitations for a weekend shoot.

There are also MANY instructors here on the forum.

And one more point - the first gun you buy PROBABLY isn't going to be THE gun for you. You'll shoot it, but eventually find something that you like better, and you'll replace it. However, what you won't replace is the skills you'll have developed shooting that first gun. So buy yourself something cheap and reliable, and spend your money on ammo and training.

Myself, I started with a S&W .357 (model 686), then went to a 1911, then went to the Springfield XD 45 & a reloading press.

Start with a .357 using .38 Special for practice. See what the members of your house can shoot. If you wife CAN'T use a .357 then it will do you no good to have it. If you ne to shooting and don't plan on shooting a lot don't get an auto for home. If you plan on shooting a lot and get good at clearing a jam in an auto, then get one for home. I like a 12ga pump with a 20 in barrel using number 4 shot. At 20 feet it opens to the size of my hand.

Well I am thoroughly confused now. [smile]

I guess I will try to look for a gun that I will likely want as my main gun and get one that also offers a 22LR conversion kit. At least this is my plan at this point for my first purchase.

Paul

Well I am thoroughly confused now. [smile]

I guess I will try to look for a gun that I will likely want as my main gun and get one that also offers a 22LR conversion kit. At least this is my plan at this point for my first purchase.

Paul

Three questions that we should have asked at the beginning of the thread, which play a big impact of what your options are:

What state do you live in?

Are you looking for a new gun, or is used okay?

What are you looking to spend?

Three questions that we should have asked at the beginning of the thread, which play a big impact of what your options are:

What state do you live in?

Are you looking for a new gun, or is used okay?

What are you looking to spend?

1) MA (God help me)

2) New has been recommended to me because although there are reputable dealers out there it would still be very hard for me (being a newb) to know what to look for in a used gun and what price might be right. So, having said that ...I am open to used or new but think new might be safer? [thinking]

3) Money isn't necessarily a huge concern. I see that most new (and approved here in MA) are below $1000, so that seems OK to me.

Paul

I've been pondering the same thing for months. I plan on buying a Sig P220 and a Sig Mosquito. The Mosquito is a slightly smaller "equivalent" of the P22x series and shoots .22LR. I figured it would be similar enough that the skills would transfer to the 220 well while not breaking the bank and also would not cause me to develop a flinch.

Something to think about.

Dope

I've been pondering the same thing for months. I plan on buying a Sig P220 and a Sig Mosquito. The Mosquito is a slightly smaller "equivalent" of the P22x series and shoots .22LR. I figured it would be similar enough that the skills would transfer to the 220 well while not breaking the bank and also would not cause me to develop a flinch.

Something to think about.

Dope

I have been reading some pretty harsh reviews of the Mosquito (picky with ammo and overall quality concerns.) Although I have also read that perhaps in the most recent version, Sig may have fixed some of these issues. So, you may want to do a bit of research on it to be sure it is the right one for you. However, I also have read some good things about Sig's previous 22LR, the Trailside, and in general that model was considered pretty decent. That's one I am considering but am also not sure I want to go with a used gun yet at this point. So far I haven't found any information that points to any one particular 22LR brand/model that leads the pack, so it makes for a tough decision. Also, since I am leaning towards Sigs but they don't have conversion kits, it makes my decision even more challenging. I may just go with a Sig 9mm, forget the .22 and eat the extra ammo cost.

Paul

I have been reading some pretty harsh reviews of the Mosquito (picky with ammo and overall quality concerns.) Although I have also read that perhaps in the most recent version, Sig may have fixed some of these issues. So, you may want to do a bit of research on it to be sure it is the right one for you. However, I also have read some good things about Sig's previous 22LR, the Trailside, and in general that model was considered pretty decent. That's one I am considering but am also not sure I want to go with a used gun yet at this point. So far I haven't found any information that points to any one particular 22LR brand/model that leads the pack, so it makes for a tough decision. Also, since I am leaning towards Sigs but they don't have conversion kits, it makes my decision even more challenging. I may just go with a Sig 9mm, forget the .22 and eat the extra ammo cost.

Paul

From what I remember , I dont think the Trailside is MA legal (if you're in MA like me).

I'm of the opinion that getting very good with one is better than being mediocre with many. So I put down the .22 for a while, and I'm glad I did. It's fun gun, but I'd rather get really good with my 9.

Just my experience thus far.

From what I remember , I dont think the Trailside is MA legal (if you're in MA like me).

Bah! Forgot to check that ...and without even looking, I am going to assume you are probably right. [sad]

Oh well, at this point I am likely going to choose as my first handgun purchase to be my main CCW and use that at the range ...ditch the .22 idea. As far as my HD choice, I am actually now leaning more towards getting a pump action shotgun. More likely to hit my target, plenty of knockdown power and less to worry about beyond the target with a missed shot.

Remington 870, Browning BPS and Moss. 500 are all good. Due to some of the DA's out there, don't use 00 buck or 3 in loads. They make like your out to kill (LOL). Have a 20in barrel (deer hunting) on it but have a 26 to 30in (small game) also.

Shoot what you carry sounds like good advice, until you're carrying something you don't shoot well.

With respect to any instructors here who disagree with me, I still think it's best to learn to shoot with a .22. Learn good habits, trigger control, breathing, grip. Shoot a ton. When you can keep all your shots in a 6" paper plate at 10 yards, you might be ready to step up to something with a little recoil or kick to handle.

Flinch and anticipating the trigger are bad habits to break once you make them. You can avoid it by shooting several thousand rounds with a good .22 before you step up to a bigger gun.

I carry a .357 revolver, but I learned to shoot, and continue to shoot my .22's to stay at the top of my ability.

I also shoot my .38/,357 a lot.

Shoot what you carry sounds like good advice, until you're carrying something you don't shoot well.

With respect to any instructors here who disagree with me, I still think it's best to learn to shoot with a .22. Learn good habits, trigger control, breathing, grip. Shoot a ton. When you can keep all your shots in a 6" paper plate at 10 yards, you might be ready to step up to something with a little recoil or kick to handle.

Flinch and anticipating the trigger are bad habits to break once you make them. You can avoid it by shooting several thousand rounds with a good .22 before you step up to a bigger gun.

I carry a .357 revolver, but I learned to shoot, and continue to shoot my .22's to stay at the top of my ability.

I also shoot my .38/,357 a lot.

OK, so what is a good, reliable .22 you would recommend (worries about personal preference, my hand size, etc. aside?) I can't seem to find information on any one (or few) that most people agree excels above the rest ...or are most decent and I should just get one?

OK, so what is a good, reliable .22 you would recommend (worries about personal preference, my hand size, etc. aside?) I can't seem to find information on any one (or few) that most people agree excels above the rest ...or are most decent and I should just get one?

If you want a revolver, look for a used S&W Model 17. This is a K frame - same as their .38/.357 revolvers. If you're looking for an autoloader, you can do a lot worse than the Ruger MKIII.

I have one of each. If you want to come to Shirley, you can try them out (along with any other pistol you'd like to try - I have a bunch).

Disregard any advice from Rambo types recommending exotic
handguns.

It always comes back to fundamentals.

Start with a .22 rimfire OR SHOOT YOUR WAY INTO THE POOR HOUSE!

My recommendation - S&W K22 Masterpiece 6 shot.

All kinds of potential here.

Recommend you start single action only at fifteen yards. When you
can go six for six into six inches, ten out out of ten tries, you're ready for double action.

Six for six, in six seconds, into nine inches, DA, at twelve yards, ten out of ten tries, makes you a very dangerous person. (Not by IPSC standards, but in the the real world you're light years ahead of your
average hood rat!)

As for carrying, ONCE YOU MASTER THE FUNDAMENTALS, I recommend any S&W .38 spl. with a hammer shroud. Out of sight is out of mind. Pack a SIG or a GLOCK or a 1911 and you stick out
in a crowd because you'e wearing a coat or a sweat shirt when everyone else is wearing a tee shirt. This problem is somewhat diminished in late fall and winter, but comes around again every spring.

COMMIT THIS TO MEMORY! "If You think you might be going in harm's
way, stay home, or change your plans for the evening!"

My three most carried guns:

S&W BODYGUARD AIR WEIGHT

S&W CHIEF'S SPECIAL

COLT POCKET LITE

Honorable mention: Walther PP 22lr - when in Europe.

Never had to use one for social work because I practice situational
awareness.

MAJOR D

I agree with the shrouded hammer J Frame. I have a 638 and when I'm in the free world that's what I carry.

I would recommend something along the lines of a Model 317 (J-frame 22) and a 637/38/42 based on your hammer preference.

COMMIT THIS TO MEMORY! "If You think you might be going in harm's
way, stay home, or change your plans for the evening!"
MAJOR D

Great advice and something I have already in my life always tried to practice.

Thanks for all your other suggestions as well. Now I am back to planning on a .22 purchase. Ahh how the pendulum swings back and forth for the newb! [laugh]

The Masterpiece 22, and its more modern update the Model 17 are great revolvers to learn to shoot with.

I also like the Ruger Single Six, but it's single action only...you have to cock the hammer before each shot. But it's reliable as can be, and you'll have it forever.

Ruger makes a great pistol too. I prefer the MKII instead of the MKIII, but that's just me. There are several versions of the Ruger MKIII that are great guns. If I was starting pistol shooting now, I might pick a bull barrel Ruger target .22. Again, this is another reliable and sturdy gun you can't go wrong with.

If you only want new guns, you're pretty much limited to S&W and Ruger for dependable sturdy guns. The ten shot 617 stainless .22 revolver is popular now, and a good shooter.

If you took a poll of this forum, I think more people would recommend training on a .22 for awhile before moving up to a center fire pistol.

Both S&W and Ruger make great 22's. I shoot a Ruger MK II as my Bullseye Gun and I love it. I had a S&W 422 that was a real sweet shooter also.

Look around at the dealers (or gun shows) and you should be able to find one for a good price. If you have the cash buy a new one. The Ruger MK III is a sweet gun as well as the S&W 22's.

If you are thinking of a 45 I would get the S&W than you can get the 22 unit for it, alot of money to go that route though.

As others have said the more you shoot the better it is and 22's are real cheap to shoot. Than practice with your carry / home defence gun to "get the feel of it" and get used to the ammo you chose to carry in it.

The Browning and Beretta .22 are good auto's and in the same price range as the Ruger MKIII and 22/45. The Beretta strips down better for cleaning and you can change barrels on them. Get something you can mount a scope on. You may never put a scope on it, but the option is nice to have.

Just one more thing... like I said, no bad way of going about this buying a gun. And pretty hard to argue your point. However, I just have to say that it's hard to practice wielding a sword when you're practicing with a dagger.

Alchemist, some posters here can be a little rough, but they are primarily a good group of guys and gals. Hang in there, we're a good group.

As for wielding a sword when practicing with a dagger, one of my favorite forms of combat is rapier & dagger. [smile]

I have several Sigs (P225,P226,P239,P245) as well as Glocks and other brands. I have taken to the P239 with Hogue grips, Trijicon night sights, and a shortened trigger as my carry gun. It is not a high cap so it takes some of the bulk out for the double stack magazine. It is a little smaller than my P245 and less recoil but has better stopping power than the 9mm. I have never had a problem with any of my Sigs or my Glocks for that matter, not a single jam (GOOD MAINTINANCE). Sigs are rounded on most corners and the P239 is comfortable to carry in my forward angled holster.

The 22. Is good for working on accuracy without the kick and cost. It would be beneficial to get one similar to your carry piece to keep control placement and grip feel familiar. The Mosquito would be good with a Sig or a P22 with a Walther P99 Combo, but I am no fan of the trigger on my Walther ( Takes some getting used to). Remember that it is great to shoot the .22 for practice but you have to take your carry piece and shoot it regularly also. Your carry piece needs to be second nature to you if you ever do need to use it. The last thing you want is to be fumbling with it when you need it. Also make sure you are familiar with your holster and drawing from it by removing your weapon from it at night and not just pulling the whole thing off your belt.

Whatever you chose I am sure you will eventually have plenty to pick from like the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom