• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle options?

I did a little searching here, but couldn't find my answer. While I wasn't 100% with Trumps stance/campaign when it came to firearms, I now know that there doesn't seem to be any immediate change imminent to MA laws.

So seeing as AR-15's are banned from sale in MA: what rifle for home protection/range use would be worth looking into?

I'm sure this unrest in the country will settle at some point (stupid idiots rioting against Trump's election before he even gets to work...), but I'm thinking a rifle to supplement my handgun would be a wise purchase at this time for the home.

One rifle that caught my eye was the CX4 storm, but I wasn't sure if there were others that were worth a look?

The real question here is how much you're willing to shell out.

For home defense, I'd go for a 12 GA pump shotty. Rem 870 at $350, Mossy 500 at $300 or even a Hawk 982 at $200. Few guns IMHO are better than a shotgun loaded with 00 or #1 buck for home defense.

If you want something for the range as well, maybe a SKS. Chambered in 7.62x39 (ak47 round) and semi-auto, it'll be a neat range toy that can do double duty as HD. At $400, it's a steal compared to the CX-4's $800 price tag.

If you want an AR, you still can. Just pay the hefty price for a pre-94-ban AR.

Unless you live in a sparsely populated area I would shy away from a rifle for home defense. A 5.56(Ar15) 7.62(Ak47) will easily punch through several interior and exterior walls with ease. I'd look into a keltec KSG for home defense it holds 14 rounds of 12ga and is very easy to operate and is small enough to use in a home with less chance of over penetration.

My understanding is .223 at short range will splinter as soon as it hits something due to the high velocity. The Tavor is an option, I think I'd buy that rather than pay $2000 for a pre-ban that's really a $700 rifle. It's also shorter which is ideal for home defense vs a long shotgun.

I think a handguns perfectly fine short of a SHTF situation.

if you're interested in the CX4 storm, get it. it's a nice firearm. my wife loves shooting it. light and handy, pleasant to shoot. well built.

i dont really consider the pistol caliber carbines to be true "rifles" in the sense of chambering, but for up to 50 or 100 yards they are plenty useful and fun. and if it's your first long-gun/rifle, i think going with either a 22lr or 9mm would be wise. then later on step up to a .223 or 7.62x39.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is .223 at short range will splinter as soon as it hits something due to the high velocity. The Tavor is an option, I think I'd buy that rather than pay $2000 for a pre-ban that's really a $700 rifle. It's also shorter which is ideal for home defense vs a long shotgun.

I think a handguns perfectly fine short of a SHTF situation.

.223 doesn't penetrate as much as people think. Sawicki1991, check out the Box of Truth - 9mm penetrates more than you would expect and 223 less.

OP - if you want a 223 rifle, check out a mini-14 or a Tavor.

If for some reason I have not stopped the threat with my hand gun and the 30 rounds worth of spare mags handy .....something tells me I lost the fight to my rifle?
That said my HD other than pistol is a 20g 870 youth loaded with OO buck.
Again though if I'm sending slugs and buck shot around my home things have gotten really bad.

As for a rifle for range and could be used for SHTF M1 garand ! Attend cmp matches and learn to shoot.

There are several pistol cal carbine out there also...

Although I don't see a huge gain in HD between a Beretta 92st and 15 round mags at the ready and cx4 storm?

Last edited:
If for some reason I have not stopped the threat with my hand gun and the 30 rounds worth of spare mags handy .....something tells me I lost the fight to my rifle?
Again though if I'm sending slugs and buck shot around my home things have gotten really bad.

As for a rifle for range and could be used for SHTF M1 garand ! Attend cmp matches and learn to shoot.

Although I don't see a huge gain in HD between a Beretta 92st and 15 round mags at the ready and cx4 storm?

I love my garand, but I don't think it is a great rifle for SHTF.

1. Too heavy and too big
2. Jams when it gets muddy
3. Doesn't use external magazines (may or may not be an issue depending on your preferences)
4. Heavy ammunition

A similar but better option in my opinion is the MAS 49/56 rechambered in 308. It's lighter, shorter, more reliable when dirty, and uses external magazines.

I don't know it but i assume there's a reason the coast guard special forces used mp5's over a handgun. Not being a smartass just saying. Personally I believe if a glock with a flashlight doesn't solve what goes bump in the night. Chances are I'm not gunna make it

I don't know it but i assume there's a reason the coast guard special forces used mp5's over a handgun. Not being a smartass just saying. Personally I believe if a glock with a flashlight doesn't solve what goes bump in the night. Chances are I'm not gunna make it

A submachine gun is easier to aim than a pistol. Greater range, greater accuracy. If you have the option of selective fire, a selective fire submachine gun makes a lot more sense than a pistol. If your job involves fighting, you will want a tool that is adapted to that job. If you are just looking to defend yourself, handguns are easier to carry and store. You aren't (OK, maybe you will, but most people won't) walk around the house with an mp5, but it's easy to carry a pistol all the time.

I love my garand, but I don't think it is a great rifle for SHTF.

1. Too heavy and too big
2. Jams when it gets muddy
3. Doesn't use external magazines (may or may not be an issue depending on your preferences)
4. Heavy ammunition

A similar but better option in my opinion is the MAS 49/56 rechambered in 308. It's lighter, shorter, more reliable when dirty, and uses external magazines.

practical plays little in SHTF
i agree its heavy buts so is water....
all guns jam when they get muddy....the level of "muddy" matters.
externa mags can be debated.... ex is the M14 was not designed to change mags but to feed with stripper clips...
30-06 and 308 yes is heavy
its al good
If the SHTF i will most likey grab my mak 90 and my marlin 25!
all good all fun...

Unless you live in a sparsely populated area I would shy away from a rifle for home defense. A 5.56(Ar15) 7.62(Ak47) will easily punch through several interior and exterior walls with ease. I'd look into a keltec KSG for home defense it holds 14 rounds of 12ga and is very easy to operate and is small enough to use in a home with less chance of over penetration.

A AR loaded with the correct ammunition will penetrate less then the average 40 caliber pistol. loads like Hornady's 55 grain Tap urban were designed to minimize overpenatration and signifigantly reduce the danger of richocets

As stated above a pistol caliber carbine is worth looking into.

Sub 2000 is built in different models to accept glock, M&P, or beretta magazines

CX4 takes beretta magazines

Hi Point cheap like under $300 cheap. Haven't seen many complaints on it

Asked and answered. Uncle Joe wouldn't lead you astray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you mentioned home and range, try the cx4. They're worth every cent and if you don't like it you can sell it for about what you paid for it. Get on four seasons mailing list and call and reserve one when they have them or try to find one somewhere else. You can also pair it with a 92 so you can share preban mags.

I bought a CX4 last night. Looking forward to going to the range and putting it through the paces. One notable disappointment is how tiny the rear sight is. Good thing I planned on putting s red dot on it anyways.

Where?

I'm on the prowl. I called Fours Seasons last week about one and was put on a list. I was there last Wednesday and was told there were none.

Edit:

Saw the answer above

Last edited:
I bought a CX4 last night. Looking forward to going to the range and putting it through the paces. One notable disappointment is how tiny the rear sight is. Good thing I planned on putting s red dot on it anyways.

Yeah the iron sights on the CX4 were disappointing.

The sights on the Hi Point are pretty damn good, although kind of high off the bore.

My favorite pistol caliber rifle so far is Rossi stainless 20" .357 magnum. I've had CX4, Sub2K, Hi Point, TNW, Ruger PC9. The lever action is still my favorite, with a Skinner aperture sight.

Where?

I'm on the prowl. I called Fours Seasons last week about one and was put on a list. I was there last Wednesday and was told there were none.

Edit:

Saw the answer above

if store doesn't have in stock, CX4 storm can be easily found from online vendor. $25 transfer fee but no tax. any dealer should transfer a CX4 storm and if they don't then i wouldn't set foot in their shop.

normally CX4 availability would be nonissue but i just peeked at gunbroker and looks like the prices have jacked up quite a bit.

Yeah the iron sights on the CX4 were disappointing.

really? they're aperture sights that fold down if needed. the rear sight provides two aperture options for long or shorter range. i find them better than 95% of other stock iron sights on the market. different strokes for different folks [grin]

Last edited:
Like others have said, if you aren't looking to own a collection of firearms and you want to have some versatility then a shotgun is a good bet. It can be used for home defense, or loaded with birdshot, buckshot or slugs if you ever needed to hunt for food in an emergency. Ammo is fairly inexpensive and easy to find so you can build up a stockpile a little at a time. It was the first long gun that I purchased and I've since added a .22 rifle, 5.56 rifle and I'm currently saving for a .308. The CX4 is neat but I don't consider it to be a rifle. I think the CX4 is a great way to run 9mm through a carbine without having to build an AR with a 9mm upper. If I had a HUGE stockpile of 9mm then I would want some type of carbine in the collection instead of just handguns.

if store doesn't have in stock, CX4 storm can be easily found from online vendor. $25 transfer fee but no tax. any dealer should transfer a CX4 storm and if they don't then i wouldn't set foot in their shop.

normally CX4 availability would be nonissue but i just peeked at gunbroker and looks like the prices have jacked up quite a bit.

really? they're aperture sights that fold down if needed. the rear sight provides two aperture options for long or shorter range. i find them better than 95% of other stock iron sights on the market. different strokes for different folks [grin]

Yeah the price is cranked up. I was looking for a 9mm. Kittery has 2 but in .45. Local store in NH will order me one but they are backordered though their distributor.

Last edited:
Yeah the price is cranked up. I was looking for a 9mm. Kittery has 2 but in .45. Local store in NH will order me one but they are backordered though their distributor.

this is all a product of the election and within expected. if you can wait a month or two i'm willing to bet supply will come back up. honestly i would not pay much over $800 for a CX4 storm. they are nice guns but they're direct blowback design, nothing fancy that warrants big costs.

they are durable guns. if you find a used one in good condition it's worth considering.

Last edited:
No I got it from Northeast Arms. He might be able to order one from his distributors though.

Northeast Arms in Peabody?

I've gone in there twice asking about them and was told they weren't available in Mass. Looks like they revisited that opinion.

Was this the version with the 16.6 inch barrel and the plastic case or the long barrel version like four seasons and classic firearms has?

A submachine gun is easier to aim than a pistol. Greater range, greater accuracy. If you have the option of selective fire, a selective fire submachine gun makes a lot more sense than a pistol. If your job involves fighting, you will want a tool that is adapted to that job. If you are just looking to defend yourself, handguns are easier to carry and store. You aren't (OK, maybe you will, but most people won't) walk around the house with an mp5, but it's easy to carry a pistol all the time.
Wasn't trying to be an internet commando these would be the reasons I'd have guessed too but I figured someone would have better input than I would

Northeast Arms in Peabody?

I've gone in there twice asking about them and was told they weren't available in Mass. Looks like they revisited that opinion.

Was this the version with the 16.6 inch barrel and the plastic case or the long barrel version like four seasons and classic firearms has?
The one that I got was the 16" and had the plastic case. The one he was able to get came with a fifteen so I knew I couldn't have the mag.

Back
Top Bottom