Savage 10FP stuff... long list of needs

SKS Ray

NES Member
Finally picked up a Savage model 10FP today. I've been wanting one of these for years and saw one today, had the credit card, and bought it home. There were 2 to choose from, 308 and 223. I picked the 308.

Now its time to shop for accessories and I have a long list.

First off is a base, rings, and scope. I'm thinking a 1 piece base and maybe Warne rings, and using a Super Sniper I have mounted on my Ruger 204. The SS scope works great on the Ruger, but is top heavy and looks a little out of place being a black tactical scope on a fancy looking wood and stainless target rifle.

I know the scope subject has been beaten to death here and everywhere else, but I refuse to spend more money on a scope than what the rifle itself cost me.

Next up is the stock.

There is something about the factory stock that just irks me. I'm sure it'd work ok but it looks and feels cheap. There are 3 different stocks I have to choose from for this rifle. None are cheap but I think I'm leaning towards one of the Choate models.

Bi pod is a no brainer. I'll order a Harris.

Anyone have a Savage 10FP and what accessories have you upgraded it with?

Last edited:
There is something about the factory stock that just irks me. I'm sure it'd work ok but it looks and feels cheap. There are 3 different stocks I have to choose from for this rifle. None are cheap but I think I'm leaning towards one of the Choate models.

I feel the same way about those stocks. They feel hollow. I'll be intersted to hear the responses on this, especially if anyone has bought the version with the HS Precision or McMillan.

I have a 10FLP in 308 that I've done a little work to. I went with Warne Maxima tactical rings and bases, and a 10x SuperSniper. I have an EGW mount for another Savage project, which looks and fits good, but hasn't seen actual recoil yet. The Warne tacticals are steel, the EGW is aluminum.

I tried stiffening up the Savage plastic stock by adding an aluminum bar in the foreend, epoxy into the voids, and a aluminum plate under the magazine. It got better, but not good. I put a B&C Duramax stock on it, and bedded it. I did have to grind out a lefty bolt notch, and fill in the old notch with epoxy. It's a decent stock - but if I were a right handed shooter I'd have picked up one of their Medalist stocks. I need to get a look at one to see if I can convert it to lefty without screwing up their bedding blocks. The Choate sniper and varmint stocks also look interesting - and available in left hand! Some other companies to look at for stocks are Stockade and Sharp Shooter Supply. I have a used Stockade Woodchuck that I got for the same unfinished rifle as the EGW mount, and it looks nice - not recoil tested yet, of course.

Be careful ordering stocks for your Savage - there have been a few significant changes in the model 10/110 that will make a difference to which stock fits. (Pre-Accutrigger, Accutrigger, and the new centerfeed stocks, off the top of my head.)

Harris bipod for me, too. My first bipod, and I'm impressed. I didn't get the swivel version, and now I'm wondering if I should have. No complaints about what I've got, though - works great.

Check out the forum on Savageshooters.com. A lot of how-to and reviews on Savage centerfires over there, and a good signal-to-noise ratio, too.

FWIW, I bought a Savage bolt gun with the plastic 'floppy stock' a few years back.
I ordered the laminated wood stock from Savage to replace it.
It is a very nice stock and cost about $100 at the time.

Jack

Also got a Savage Model 10 recently in .308. So far the only thing I've gotten for it is the SS scope ( rear parallax adjust. ) I'm happy with the scope and optics are good for the money.

Rings and base are still up in the air. I was gonna use the Warne and probably still will but am still deciding if Seekins Precision might be what I go with.

Stock will be from Stockade. I like the looks and setup of the Woodchuck and will get it ordered here shortly. The original stock has too much flex in it for my liking.

Bipod is a Harris SBRM.

My trigger is a pre-Accutrigger so I'm gonna try to lower the weight down alittle. It breaks good but the heaviness is making accurate shooting a chore with it. The bolt handle will be replaced with one from Savage Shooters Supply - the extra 1/2" will help for manipulation.

Forgot to add - Your distance to measure to see what you have for a rifle length and age is the single screw in front to the screw in front of the trigger guard. Mine is 4 1/4" apart. One of the stock sites has a good decription of what but not how to measure.

Joe R.

Last edited:
I have a 10FLP in 308 that I've done a little work to. I went with Warne Maxima tactical rings and bases, and a 10x SuperSniper. I have an EGW mount for another Savage project, which looks and fits good, but hasn't seen actual recoil yet. The Warne tacticals are steel, the EGW is aluminum.

I tried stiffening up the Savage plastic stock by adding an aluminum bar in the foreend, epoxy into the voids, and a aluminum plate under the magazine. It got better, but not good. I put a B&C Duramax stock on it, and bedded it. I did have to grind out a lefty bolt notch, and fill in the old notch with epoxy. It's a decent stock - but if I were a right handed shooter I'd have picked up one of their Medalist stocks. I need to get a look at one to see if I can convert it to lefty without screwing up their bedding blocks. The Choate sniper and varmint stocks also look interesting - and available in left hand! Some other companies to look at for stocks are Stockade and Sharp Shooter Supply. I have a used Stockade Woodchuck that I got for the same unfinished rifle as the EGW mount, and it looks nice - not recoil tested yet, of course.

Be careful ordering stocks for your Savage - there have been a few significant changes in the model 10/110 that will make a difference to which stock fits. (Pre-Accutrigger, Accutrigger, and the new centerfeed stocks, off the top of my head.)

Harris bipod for me, too. My first bipod, and I'm impressed. I didn't get the swivel version, and now I'm wondering if I should have. No complaints about what I've got, though - works great.

Check out the forum on Savageshooters.com. A lot of how-to and reviews on Savage centerfires over there, and a good signal-to-noise ratio, too.

I'm gonna wait and see how the new accustock is and if it is better, if it will be available as a replacement stock. Otherwise I have been looking at McMillan. Pricey but they can accomodate a left hand shooter. I'm gonna make a call to them to get more info.

Milsurps, outside of the usual, I replaced the bolt with one from LS&B that KMM696 recommended and I put a single shot follower in the mag.

Last edited:
I have a savage model 10 and a 110 both in 308. the 10 has a kevlar stock from sharp shooters supply as well as one of their drop in triggers. This gun is dead nuts on. I have a springfield armory 4-14x56 and a harris bipod on her and it makes her look very mean.

My 110 has the factory wood stock and it is very acceptable. I hate the factory plastic. It has a leupold 3-9x40 with leupold rings and bases.

I always thought an AR build would break me but this thing is getting pricey already.

Thankfully I have a scope standing by to use because the rail and trigger have already set me back about $170. Then I remembered I'm using a Super Sniper with 30mm tube and realized I needed rings.
Warne rings from Midway.... $82.30 clearance price for medium height rings but I'm thinking I'll need high size and those would still be about the same price with my FFL discount.

By the time I replace the scope I'll be using from another rifle, thats around $200 - $300 depending on what I replace the Super Sniper scope with, base and trigger around $170, Rings around $80, new stock around $150.

Is there some unwritten rule of thumb that says you need $1000+ to have a kick ass scoped rifle?!?[thinking]

No there isn't. By the time you add things up, you realize that an inexpensive rifle isn't cheap. Just remember that there are levels of expensive. Compare yours ( or mine ) 10FP to an Iron Brigade Armory Remington 700 and you see where the money is going. What we'll have at the $1000 mark is a rifle that will shoot well but could still use some help. THE RIFLE WILL STILL SHOOT, if you do your part. You shoot the hell out of this one to find out if you want to take the next step later.

Joe R.

Forgot to add - Your distance to measure to see what you have for a rifle length and age is the single screw in front to the screw in front of the trigger guard. Mine is 4 1/4" apart. One of the stock sites has a good decription of what but not how to measure.

[crying]

ok, so I'm looking at these for my Savage 10 in .223. based on what I'm reading, I have a short action model 10 w / blind magazine.

i'm going to measure when I get home today. -this is fun [laugh]

does anyone have any experience with these? are they rubber like the Hogue over-molded?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1863&title=SAVAGE DURAMAXX? STOCK

*it's looking like I'll order this one when I get home*
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=195644

i think these are them because I don't have a magazine well, it's loaded from the top. i'll be sure to re-check, but i'm positive.

for optics, i'm looking at:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9838-184-bushnell-5-15x40-elite-3200-rifle-scope.aspx

i like the SS, but i want something variable.

PS: not trying to hi-jack milsurps, my project is almost similar...

I bought a Savage 12FVSS in .223 off a friend for $500. It came with a one piece stainless steel mount and stainless rings, and a Alaskan Guide scope. I love the rifle. I can hit pennies at 100 yards with the thing. The only thing I don't like is the 1/9 wist. I wish they made it in 1/8 or 1/7.

I use the original stock (which I don't think is flimsy) and a Harris bipod.

does anyone have any experience with these? are they rubber like the Hogue over-molded?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1863&title=SAVAGE DURAMAXX? STOCK

*it's looking like I'll order this one when I get home*
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=195644

I put a Duramax on my 10FLP - it is not an overmolded rubber, it's a solid synthetic. Nice stock for the money, but will probably require a little cleanup sanding. Mine needed the inletting around the receiver sanded back for clearance, the very end of the barrel channel needed a little sanding to free float, and I converted it to left hand and then bedded it since I already had the epoxy out. The inletting and barrel channel sanding was maybe a half hours work.

I have a B&C Carbelite stock for another Savage that I haven't finished yet. It's lighter, but not as well finished as the Duramax. I would like to try one of their Medalist stocks, but I haven't found anyone who can tell me if their aluminum bedding system is going to be damaged when I grind out the left side bolt notch.

I haven't used that power range 3200 scope, but the 3-9 3200 I used was very good. I ended up buying a 4200 in 4-16x40, and that thing is just incredibly nice glass.

I put a Duramax on my 10FLP - it is not an overmolded rubber, it's a solid synthetic. Nice stock for the money, but will probably require a little cleanup sanding. Mine needed the inletting around the receiver sanded back for clearance, the very end of the barrel channel needed a little sanding to free float, and I converted it to left hand and then bedded it since I already had the epoxy out. The inletting and barrel channel sanding was maybe a half hours work.

I have a B&C Carbelite stock for another Savage that I haven't finished yet. It's lighter, but not as well finished as the Duramax. I would like to try one of their Medalist stocks, but I haven't found anyone who can tell me if their aluminum bedding system is going to be damaged when I grind out the left side bolt notch.

I haven't used that power range 3200 scope, but the 3-9 3200 I used was very good. I ended up buying a 4200 in 4-16x40, and that thing is just incredibly nice glass.

thanks for the info...

so much for duramax.. [hmmm]

i really like the overmolded, but there seems to be none availalbe.

i'm looking at the medalist, but it's basically like the Choate Sniper (which I have)...

we'll see.

i think i'll go with the Scope i'm drooling over... 5-15x40. i wish they had kits like they do with the SS though.

i don't hunt, it's basically for target only, but i want something cool that my son can shoot at closer distances.

I bought a Savage 12FVSS in .223 off a friend for $500. It came with a one piece stainless steel mount and stainless rings, and a Alaskan Guide scope. I love the rifle. I can hit pennies at 100 yards with the thing. The only thing I don't like is the 1/9 wist. I wish they made it in 1/8 or 1/7.

I use the original stock (which I don't think is flimsy) and a Harris bipod.

From what I understand barrel changes on Savages are pretty easy though I have never done one. You may be able to find an aftermarket barrel for it.

Just for S&Gs....I ordered a 10x42SS exactly one month ago today, still waiting [crying]. But it's O.K. because the model 10FCLP I ordered at the same time has not come in either [crying] [crying]. This has nothing to do with this thread I know but I felt like complaining...

Well.....it is a lefty....and it does have a synthetic stock. It's one of the new models with the accustock, fluted barrel and compensator.

oh man, please!!!!! pics?

here is me...
choate dismounted -
DSCN0495.jpg

DSCN0494.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand barrel changes on Savages are pretty easy though I have never done one.

They are. [smile]

Barrel Nut Wrench

Barrel Vise

Headspace gauges, large bench vise. The factory puts them on really tight, or may use sealant, so a propane torch makes that first removal easier. After that first one, it's a 15 minute job. 20 if you have to change the bolt head to match cartridge size. There are quite a few barrel companies selling finished Savage barrels now, too. Lothar Walther sells 223s in 1-8,9 and 12, for instance.

Dear jay_chris

At this time we do not make any blind magazine stocks for Savage, check back in about a year. If there is anything else I can do for you please let me know.

Thanks,

Stan
Customer Service
800-438-4747 Ext. 205
[email protected]

[crying]

just thought I'd share. I sent an e-mail asking about Hogue Overmolded Stocks for Savage 10 w / blind mags. no soup for me.

jay_chris

I was on the Bell & Carlson site today, and found they are offering a clear rubberized finish they are calling 'Maxxguard'.

B&C Maxxguard

Stocky's Maxxguard

No idea if it's a rattle can, or an option when you order the stock, or how well it works - but it might be worth a call. It would bring the price of a Duramax up a bit, but it's still reasonable.

Let us know if you decide to try it.

jay_chris

I was on the Bell & Carlson site today, and found they are offering a clear rubberized finish they are calling 'Maxxguard'.

B&C Maxxguard

Stocky's Maxxguard

No idea if it's a rattle can, or an option when you order the stock, or how well it works - but it might be worth a call. It would bring the price of a Duramax up a bit, but it's still reasonable.

Let us know if you decide to try it.

hey, I appreciate that. so does my debit card. [rofl]

i just ordered the B&C no. 2999 - 02 (black) and the maxxguard finish

+1

EDIT:

Savage SA #K70401-C HVY Pillar Bedded - I just noticed that one AFTER i already checked out. [rolleyes]. i just replyed to the e-mail w / my confirmation. i HOPE i can CHANGE my order. [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, I appreciate that. so does my debit card. [rofl]

i just ordered the B&C no. 2999 - 02 (black) and the maxxguard finish

+1

EDIT:

Savage SA #K70401-C HVY Pillar Bedded - I just noticed that one AFTER i already checked out. [rolleyes]. i just replyed to the e-mail w / my confirmation. i HOPE i can CHANGE my order. [rofl]

Yeah, your debit card will like that stock better!!

That does look like a nice stock - hope they can change the order. I'd like to see pictures of that one when it gets in.

i haven't rec'd a reply to my inquiry yet.

i guess either stock is fine, i just like the rubber overmolded ones better.

i wrote this:

Hello, I just placed this order (obviously). But I'd like to inquire about a different stock. Savage SA #K70401-C HVY Pillar Bedded I didn't notice this one until AFTER I placed the order. Can I swap these out? What is the availability? Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

they wrote this:

Hello, The k70401 is not currently in stock. We have had problems in the pastwith Blackhawk orders and therefore I wouldn't be comfortable quoting adelivery time if you were to backorder it. I believe your stock has beenordered at the factory. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to give us a call. Thank You, Nicole

it ok, i'd rather NOT wait - so now i'm hoping i get it by the end of the month.

Wow - a straightforward answer that makes sense from a firearms parts retailer. I'm impressed, most places would have let you backorder it if they had no idea when it would show. Puts them one step closer to the 'good guy list', doesn't it?

Assuming the other stock shows up, of course!!

[smile]

Well I finally finished the rifle and sighted it in yesterday. Grouping was pretty good at 100 yards using Remington 150 grain core-lokt .308 ammo, but I think the rifle can do better with better quality ammo.

I either need to start reloading and come up with a load that works best in this rifle or at least find some off the shelf ammo for now that shoots good in it.

I wound up with a 1 piece Warne Maxima base, Maxima permanent attach rings, 10x Super Sniper scope, Timney trigger, Harris bipod and a Choate stock thanks to Jay Chris.

100_1044.jpg

Well I finally finished the rifle and sighted it in yesterday. Grouping was pretty good at 100 yards using Remington 150 grain core-lokt .308 ammo, but I think the rifle can do better with better quality ammo.

I either need to start reloading and come up with a load that works best in this rifle or at least find some off the shelf ammo for now that shoots good in it.

I wound up with a 1 piece Warne Maxima base, Maxima permanent attach rings, 10x Super Sniper scope, Timney trigger, Harris bipod and a Choate stock thanks to Jay Chris.

100_1044.jpg

How do you like that stock? I have read that they are heavy. The Federal match 168gr ammo is pretty good if you can find it....and afford it. That rifle is begging for handloads....

Back
Top Bottom