SBR Barrel Length

Neither term has anything to do with constructing anything from parts

Just buy the barrel now if you want to. As others have shown, the idea of constrictive intent also leads to a pistol build. Its also not diabolical. Its simply exercising your rights within the letter of the law. People need to stop being afraid to exercise their rights WITHIN but up to the edges of the law. Its this endemic worrying mentality among MA people that drives me nuts.

The term "constructive intent" is entirely different from "constructive possession", and people way overthink the risk. OTOH, it's all but impossible to complete a MA-AWB-compliant pistol build from a standard lower, so this can be a problem if you need to comply with both Federal and State laws.

But for the OP who lives in NH, starting from an AR-pistol is absolutely a great choice.

While I disagree with you re intent vs possession, we both agree on the larger issue. That people make way way way too much of this.

The simple truth is that the ATF has bigger things to worry about than some guy with a 10" barrel in his safe who is waiting on a Form 1.

I also agree that it is damn near impossible to build an AR pistol in MA that is compliant with both Fed and state laws.

You would need to find a pre-ban pistol lower. Which is something I've never seen. I'm speculating, but if you go back to 1986, nobody was building AR pistols. So there is not a lot of stock to draw from. If you could find a receiver that had never been built into a rifle, that would work, but again, nobody was building ARs back in 86. You just bought an armalite, bushmaster, or colt, and were done with it.

Don

While I disagree with you re intent vs possession, we both agree on the larger issue. That people make way way way too much of this.

The simple truth is that the ATF has bigger things to worry about than some guy with a 10" barrel in his safe who is waiting on a Form 1.

I also agree that it is damn near impossible to build an AR pistol in MA that is compliant with both Fed and state laws.

You would need to find a pre-ban pistol lower. Which is something I've never seen. I'm speculating, but if you go back to 1986, nobody was building AR pistols. So there is not a lot of stock to draw from. If you could find a receiver that had never been built into a rifle, that would work, but again, nobody was building ARs back in 86. You just bought an armalite, bushmaster, or colt, and were done with it.

Don

80% - make it yourself.

MassBRS

The only reason to make an 80% lower is to have the satisfaction of making it. Thats it.
If you want to make an 80% lower and use it as a pistol in ma, then the entire firearm can't weigh more than 50 oz.
If you decide you are willing to break the law, then you might as well use a commercial lower.

Also, you can't be anonymous and in compliance with MA law. So if you are willing to break the law, you might as well go pick up a complete lower at a
gunshow in NH, VT, or RI.

It comes down to a basic choice of whether or not you intend to obey all laws. If you do, then an 80% lower gets you nothing.

And if you intend to break the law, then a commercial lower purchased in a fact to face transaction gets you all the same anonymity with less hassle.

So again, it comes down to the fact that there is one reason to make an AR from an 80% lower, and that is the personal satisfaction of knowing that you made it yourself.

With all that said, a law abiding person could buy an 80% lower and keep it in that state as a hedge against problems later on. Then they could complete it if there was ever a need. But if you buy it online with a credit card you are kindof defeating the purpose of buying an 80% lower for this reason. Better to buy it for cash, face to face.

Don

So finding stuff in stock is posing a challenge. Who do you guys like for barrel mfg? I'm still thinking 10.5 otherwise I'd go with another BCM. thoughts?

I have a 10.5" LMT upper, if I didn't, I would have a BCM 11.5"/KMR10 upper. Those things are teh sex.

I have a 10.5" LMT upper, if I didn't, I would have a BCM 11.5"/KMR10 upper. Those things are teh sex.

I have a 10.5" LMT upper also. It has been very very reliable as long as I put decent ammo through it.

I don't know first hand what the gas port size is since I've never had it apart. But I'm told that its not oversized like some in order to function with low pressure wolf ammo. Mine runs fine on Wolf if its cool and clean. But if you are hammering it hard and its hot and dirty, it needs brass cased decent ammo.

It runs like a clock on Federal Lake City, Privi, and PMC.

Don

I have a 10.5" LMT upper also. It has been very very reliable as long as I put decent ammo through it.

I don't know first hand what the gas port size is since I've never had it apart. But I'm told that its not oversized like some in order to function with low pressure wolf ammo. Mine runs fine on Wolf if its cool and clean. But if you are hammering it hard and its hot and dirty, it needs brass cased decent ammo.

It runs like a clock on Federal Lake City, Privi, and PMC.

Don

I like my LMT, but they can be hard to find. I bought it because I wanted to clone a MK18 Mod 0, but family life has me using what I have, so I am going to strip it and put a KMR9 on it. I will retain all of the other parts in a bag just in case I get the urge to make a clone in the future.

In hindsight, if the BCM KMR uppers were out when I was in the market, I would have gone with the 11.5" KMR10 upper.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the BCM barrel I put on my my 16" AR. I'd go 11.5 but I'm also trying to keep that overlapping look of the rail and the kx3. Form over function or stfu and get another BCM?

If you are into building yourself, you could probably go 11.5" barrel, KX5, and a KMR13. That would be a pretty neat setup. Although these days, I am going for more use and function then neat to have.

I really like the KMR rails.

But thats in a whole 'nother price range.

I paid $550 for my LMT.

Don

I did too, but the carbine length hand guards don't really cut it for me (gorilla arms), plus this is the gun I will be setting up for IR/NV use when I get to that point, so I need the real estate.

Years ago I had a Bushmaster 7.5" upper on either the SBR receiver or my M16 registered receiver. It was totally unreliable in full auto and occasionally malfunctioned in semi. After trying to correct this problem I dumped it.

Last year I picked up a brand new Adams Arms 7.5" upper and never had another issue with it. It's 100% reliable and a perfect PDW.

I also have an older Bushmaster 11.5" upper that is also a great combination that I use as a class back up and loaner. It's extremely accurate and recommend this size to anyone.

I really like the KMR rails.

But thats in a whole 'nother price range.

I paid $550 for my LMT. It was not any kind of deal. In fact I think that might be MSRP

Don

I did too, but the carbine length hand guards don't really cut it for me (gorilla arms), plus this is the gun I will be setting up for IR/NV use when I get to that point, so I need the real estate.

I just checked. I was wrong. The KMR upper is not in a whole "nother" price range.

BCM is selling a 10.5" or 11.5" KMR upper, I forget the length, for $630.

That's only $80 more than the MSRP of the LMT upper with plastic handguards. Although I don't know street price of the LMT these days.

Don

I just checked. I was wrong. The KMR upper is not in a whole "nother" price range.

BCM is selling a 10.5" or 11.5" KMR upper, I forget the length, for $630.

That's only $80 more than the MSRP of the LMT upper with plastic handguards. Although I don't know street price of the LMT these days.

Don

That is why I say, if I didn't already have the LMT, I would have that BCM.

If anyone wants the anti-BCM upper. I just got my

$269 PSA upper in the mail. Complete with CH and BCG.

If it runs I'll be happy. I got it as a sacrificial upper for a MG lower. I'll test it this weekend.

Don

p.s. I got two because I figured at that price someone would want the other. Let me know if anyone wants it.

nearly five hundred bucks with a receiver that can't hold any lubrication and lets all sorts of shit from the outside world enter the inner workings of your firearm.

this right here is pure, unadulterated brilliance.

It worked for the Beretta 92/M9. Oh wait.

But seriously. An AR pistol isn't a real weapon. its a toy. For a toy, all those holes are fine.

nearly five hundred bucks with a receiver that can't hold any lubrication and lets all sorts of shit from the outside world enter the inner workings of your firearm.

this right here is pure, unadulterated brilliance.

I agree. I wouldn't buy it. Probably couldn't operate too operationally. Just saw it wasting time at work.

It pretty much needs to be carbon fiber to get under the weight limit using standard AR pattern.

Ben, is that DI or piston? I like the concept.

Back
Top Bottom