SBR in mass? (short barrel rifle)

I know you can do the MG thing in mass but how about SBR? I am getting a thompson with a 16" barrel soon that is begging to have a 10" but on it.
I know there is a federal way to do it (tax stamp ) but does this fall under the mass machine gun lic or is just a no-no like the silincers are here?

I appear to have found the ansewer myself, that is no. oh well if anyone knows different please post.

The answer is actually yes, I do believe. You'll need a CLEO signoff
which may be difficult to get. (If you live in a town/city that gave you a
restricted license, don't even bother with going the CLEO route). Most
people probably just form a trust that they transfer the gun into instead, thus
avoiding the signoff requirement. I don't think MGL even really addresses
SBRs, other than perhaps classifying them as "firearms" because of the
shorter barrel length.

-Mike

cool I don't think the signoff will be much of a problem. (thank god for living in the sticks) DO you know for sure if the tax stamp is $200 or $10 I need to do some research on the ATF site to find out the classification. and then decide if it is worth the hassel.

The stamp is $200(use a personal check), ATF form 1 with two current pictures attatched and original ink CLEO signatures on both copies,
two current fingerprint cards,
citizenship confirmation, send it to the address on the form 1 and sit back and wait for approval. When the stamped form arrives, put or have the barrel put on.

A Mass MG license is not required for an SBR.

Congrats on the Thompson. I'll be doing an AR soon with a 10.5 inch barrel.

Thanks for the help guys. Now I just have to pickup the thompson and then go about the paperwork. Finally renewing my C&R FFL too. (let it lapse over the last few years.)

I know that SBRs (in MA) were addressed a while ago here. Might be more info that an Advanced Search will dig up.

I don't recall the answer wrt legality.

Len Best I could find in search (did it before I posted ) was a link about silencers
to another site and they list SBR as legal. as a at least one of the guys who ansewered above is into MG's I suspect he also knows the law for the SBR. I will confirm with a dealer (MG) before I procede. This is mostly for future use as I have some more firearm purchases before I get to this.

Speaking of SBRs, I need a good place to get my lower engraved. Anyone have any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom