• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope Help

I'm pretty new to scopes in general. I have always used iron sights in the past an done pretty well but I want to put a scope on my plinking 22 to see what kind of distances I can hit. I have an old Mossberg 380 thats in great shape and it is very accurate. So what would be a reasonable magnification for this and what falls in the $50-100 price range. I know big bucks can be spent on scopes but I just can't put a $300+ scope on a $75 gun. There are a bunch of scopes in this price range on cabellas and www.sportsmanguide.com but I don't know what is complete junk and whats decent. Help!! =)

Wal-Mart sells a Tasco 3-9x40mm scope for around $45.00......

I have one on my Marlin .22 bolt and one on my Marlin .22 auto. They're high power rated so more than sufficient for those two applications.

+1

I know big bucks can be spent on scopes but I just can't put a $300+ scope on a $75 gun.

When you buy "glass", always buy the best you can afford. The benefits will become evident later on. It's not like you can't take that scope and put it on a better rifle later on and every time you use the scope, you'll enjoy it.
While spending $700-800 might seem a bit overboard, it makes a $300 scope look a bit more economical.
Just a thought brought on from past experiences.
CJC

A fixed 4X scope will more than suffice for a "plinking" .22 and it won't break the bank. Save your money and put good scopes on good rifles.

I know big bucks can be spent on scopes but I just can't put a $300+ scope on a $75 gun.

When you buy "glass", always buy the best you can afford.

Both very true...

While I completely agree that when buying glass for a rifle, it is not always the best idea to buy the cheapest...Good glass is always something I take into consideration.

I also completely agree that it's not worth a ton of money for a little plinker. I've got a scope that I paid $1000 for, and it's worth every penny...That's not always necessary though. You can find a few really nice scopes for under $200, including a few Leupolds if you so desire. It'd be silly to spend any more than that on a plinker, but a quality scope is always something you will never regret.

Weaver makes a great .22 scope, one of the clearest I've ever seen and its small too. Looks great on most .22 rifles and its not too expensive. Maybe around $100. Simmons makes a decent .22 scope also but its not half as clear and sharp as the Weaver.
Look at a site like Natchez and check the models designated for .22 rifles.

You guys know the deal..........
If you go out and pay $1,000 for a wicked nice scope.......well then, you just HAVE to go out and buy a nicer rifle to mount it on.
Get my drift?

+1 on the Tasco scope. You have a $75 rifle, and you want it for plinking. I have This one on my Marlin 60. At 50 yards I can shoot the numbers out of a target, and take little critters with ease!

Sure, you can put an expensive scope if you want, but you said you don't. This scope is bright, clear, and gets the job done!

Adam

Thanks for all the input everyone! It's really appreciated, in such a short amount of time too, this place is great! I ended up going to wal-mart and getting the tasco 3-9x, 40mm for $29. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5684954

It is pretty damn clear even on a dreary day like today on the 9x setting. I bought some scope mounts that give me just enough room to use the old iron sights too if I want to. I'm going to sight it in on friday or saturday. We'll see how it performs.

Back
Top Bottom