• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Secure COMMS

The problem being everyone is so invested in their own protocol. If they switch gears, does that abandon everyone who bought Fusion gear or D-Star? In the long run that would likely be better, but I'm sure Yaesu and Icom have a lot of money in their gear to just drop it and move to something else.
In 2023 it's basically inexcusable why nobody has a radio that does them all.

They need to find the common ground, and come out with firmware that brings older equipment to some basic level of support of the new standard for both brands. Then, they can together build on that for new equipment going forward. Where there's a will, there's a way.
That's not happening if theres a way for them to sell more gear. I just want them to stop flinting and provide all the options at high quality. There's no technical reason an HT can't do DMR, P25, DStar, Fusion, wide and narrow FM other than manufacturers hubris or flinting.

That's not happening if theres a way for them to sell more gear
That is what I meant when I said "Then, they can together build on that for new equipment going forward." Find some basic common ground in "DigitalRadio v1" on current equipment, then go to "DigitalRadio v2" for all new equipment from both manufacturers that offers more improvements.

In 2023 it's basically inexcusable why nobody has a radio that does them all.
Each of the digital modes is owned by a different company. So licensing becomes an issue, cost and willingness of the license owner to license a competitor to use their product.

Each of the digital modes is owned by a different company. So licensing becomes an issue, cost and willingness of the license owner to license a competitor to use their product.

Kinda, but that's not really an insurmountable problem. That's a "the manufacturer is too cheap to pay a few bucks a radio or someone has too much hubris problem. "

Kinda, but that's not really an insurmountable problem. That's a "the manufacturer is too cheap to pay a few bucks a radio or someone has too much hubris problem. "
True, but have you met hams? The new breed, at least the impression I get from YouTube, is less flinty. But the old guard is known for being flinty.

Not really. If you look at the so-called "commercial" side of Icom and Kenwood, they both make radios with DMR, NXDN and/or P25. In Kenwood's case, we have had a radio series that simultaneously supports any two digital voice modes. You can pop the third mode into the very same radio, but you have to blow a separate code plug into it, which is a pain in the butt. I think it is just a matter of time before they start making radios that support all three commercial modes. It's simply a matter of enough processor power, firmware support and enough memory. DMR, NXDN and P25 all use the same vocoder, DVSI's AMBE+2.

P25 is favored by law enforcement because of it's more robust security features. NXDN is favored by the railroads and others for it's very narrow bandwidth and it's attendant advantages. DMR is favored by businesses for the two talk paths over one frequency. Beneath the hood, though, they are basically all the same, which is 4-frequency FSK modulation.

True, but have you met hams? The new breed, at least the impression I get from YouTube, is less flinty. But the old guard is known for being flinty.
American hams are still hardcore cheap motherf****... 🤣 it's painful enough it burns like acid. 🤣

Last edited:
Boom, ordered the Alinco. Probably a waste of money for me but I'll play with it. Do I need an ID number for DMR?

If you want to join in the overall, worldwide network, you will want to apply for an assigned ID. Otherwise, you can make up any ID you want.

Doing practice tests and flash cards for license. I am a little confused. How does this "crypto radio" square with this? Or are they two different things?

1684688051270.png

Doing practice tests and flash cards for license. I am a little confused. How does this "crypto radio" square with this? Or are they two different things?

View attachment 754864

Well, your flash cards are providing you with the correct answer for the ham test and ham frequencies. I happen to have a friend with a business radio license for actually testing my encryption. See, it is perfectly legal to encrypt comms on a licensed business frequency.

If the SHTF though, I'm really not going to be concerned about the FCC. YMMV.

See, it is perfectly legal to encrypt comms on a licensed business frequency.
Believe it or not, they have not mentioned "licensed business frequency" at all in the class. Granted, the class is not about that, but you'd think they would mention it. They always mention "amateur" radio this and that; and I was wondering, "amateur" as opposed to what? What bands are these business licenses on?

Believe it or not, they have not mentioned "licensed business frequency" at all in the class. Granted, the class is not about that, but you'd think they would mention it. They always mention "amateur" radio this and that; and I was wondering, "amateur" as opposed to what? What bands are these business licenses on?

Most hamster classes will stay tightly on-topic because they would needlessly confuse the average noob just breaking into amateur radio. I am simply fortunate to run around with a crew that includes professional radio dealers, installers, programmers, etc and who work with public safety radios, dispatch equipment, railroad radios and business band equipment. I've learned a lot over the years just by watching and listening.

For now, concentrate more on learning the basics. Get past that before worrying about SHTF secure comms. You have to learn to walk before you can run.

There are a number of "Part XX" that aren't covered by the tests because they aren't applicable: FRS, MURS, GMRS, business, maritime, I'm sure more. It's like when you get your driver's license, you don't also have to know the rules for securing loads to tractor trailers because that's not the type of license you're getting.

But you are correct, amateurs are not allowed to encrypt on the amateur frequencies.

To answer the other question: you can (must) run these Alinco radios without encryption.

Last edited:
My buddy sent me a code plug for his DJMD5XLT, and I've been playing around with the settings in the Remtronix software. This thing is gonna have a steep learning curve. Not only does it have a lot of terminology I don't know, it's different whether you're using Remtronix or RT Systems. I'm sure once I start using it I'll figure things out, but it's going to be a while before I'm proficient.

My buddy sent me a code plug for his DJMD5XLT, and I've been playing around with the settings in the Remtronix software. This thing is gonna have a steep learning curve. Not only does it have a lot of terminology I don't know, it's different whether you're using Remtronix or RT Systems. I'm sure once I start using it I'll figure things out, but it's going to be a while before I'm proficient.

All digital voice modes require an adjustment when compared to simply programming analog FM radios. We've all been there.

I did reach out to the guy who builds the 1w meshtastic units to see when/if he plans to make and sell more. I will update when he gets back to me.

There are guys who have built 1w units using this github page, but to be honest, I dont even know where to start looking at it. I'm pretty sure they are using the EBYTE 1w radios.

What are you guys planning to use them for? Or just to play around with?

I'd fall in the latter category. I was thinking it would be fun to try and setup communication between my friend's house and mine. He's about 8 miles away as the crow flies. If I stashed them strategically I wonder how hard that would be to do. If they didn't have to be solar, they could be pretty small, just hanging in a tree or bush along the road.

That's what appealed to me about those birdhouse ones those guys were making. I don't think they ever got to production levels, but they shared all of the design data.

What are you guys planning to use them for? Or just to play around with?

I'd fall in the latter category. I was thinking it would be fun to try and setup communication between my friend's house and mine. He's about 8 miles away as the crow flies. If I stashed them strategically I wonder how hard that would be to do. If they didn't have to be solar, they could be pretty small, just hanging in a tree or bush along the road.

That's what appealed to me about those birdhouse ones those guys were making. I don't think they ever got to production levels, but they shared all of the design data.
Neighborhood comms among the folks I care for, maybe across town to other similar minded friends if the theory proves useful.

I am also looking at it for a mobile off road chat platform to use in conjunction with radios. I am doing a 6 day overland trip way up north Maine with a bunch of friends living out of our SXS's, and think this would be neat for a passenger chat room.

Back
Top Bottom