• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Service / carry pistols?

Ok, so back on topic. Wow things get heated here…

I’ve tried various duty pistols (Glock, S+W, Beretta, Sig, and I currently carry a walther PDP) and would love to know what other guys are using on duty.

I understand the lure of Glock because of widespread use and availability. But I’ve had them malfunction more than any other. What do you use and why?

I love the PDP, but I’m open to others’ thoughts.

Oh! And you’re a LEO, too? Awesome!

There‘s a LEO sub forum. You might get less abuse there and more serious replies. You're right that things can get heated here, but it takes two to tango…

Posting a cop question in General Discussion is one way to start such a tango, maybe. We’ll see.

Oh! And you’re a LEO, too? Awesome!

There‘s a LEO sub forum. You might get less abuse there and more serious replies. You're right that things can get heated here, but it takes two to tango…

Posting a cop question in General Discussion is one way to start such a tango, maybe. We’ll see.
Nope. Not a cop specific question. Mine is a preference question: what gun you like as a carry / duty pistol with all the new stuff out there.

How did your Glock "malfunction"?

Short of "limp wristing" one, or inducing a Glock Kaboom in a .40 by way of setback from re-chambering the same round more than a couple of times they are pretty damn reliable

Start playing with slide weight without getting the right spring and it may not cycle right, but that is not Glocks fault

OWB carry? G17
IWB G19 with the exception of summer weight clothing then the 43X is the balls unless you want the slightly longer sight radius of the 48

Are there nicer guns.... sure

How did your Glock "malfunction"?

Short of "limp wristing" one, or inducing a Glock Kaboom in a .40 by way of setback from re-chambering the same round more than a couple of times they are pretty damn reliable

Start playing with slide weight without getting the right spring and it may not cycle right, but that is not Glocks fault

OWB carry? G17
IWB G19 with the exception of summer weight clothing then the 43X is the balls unless you want the slightly longer sight radius of the 48

Are there nicer guns.... sure
“Limp wristing” ha! I’ve seen some women at the range that looked like they’d almost shoot the roof after each shot..
no it’s the the problem here.

I found stovepipes a consistent issue. Enough for me to wonder about stock Glock as best scenario. I switched back to M9 and then Walther PDP.

When I first shot my G43 I got stovepipes after every 3 rounds, mag after mag.

Yup, I was a limp wristing daisy smelling twinkle toed homo, thought it was the gun.

Not an experienced handgun shooter with doody pistols.
I don’t shoot small framed guns well. My hands are too big. I can do a large backstrap PDP or M9 well enough but carried a G17 and trained on it for a time. Stovepipes weren’t nearly as frequent as your experience but the happened enough that I questioned the reliability. I also had failure to feed issues with Glock. The classic slam and banging of the mag and slide usually fixed it but that didn’t settle well.

M9 was never an issue. I loved it for decades but the size and weight was not optimal.

I found stovepipes a consistent issue. Enough for me to wonder about stock Glock as best scenario. I switched back to M9 and then Walther PDP.

In 20 years of owning 9 & 10mm Glocks, I've only had one malfunction and it was an ammo related malfunction.
Zero malfunctions in S&W autos, but I sold them all.
Shitloads of malfunctions in an out of spec P228. Sold that.
My M9 failed to lock open on an empty mag about 1/3 of the time. Still have it.
Don't like Walther's mag releases.

I carry a Sig in the summer and a Glock when it gets to winter time wear a jacket weather.

Glocks have had their growing pains, but if you're seeing consistent issues across multiple pistols by that brand it is likely a software problem.

For what it’s worth, I am on my third Glock, and shot thousands of rounds through them and I do not recall ever having a stovepipe. On “duty” I’ve carried a M9, a S&W model 19 (both 4” and 2.5”), and I also carried a Sig 228, a full sized 1911, a 4013 TSW, and a G27. My current carry (as of yesterday) is a G17 MOS. I like a full size, or nearly full size gun/grip.

For what it’s worth, I am on my third Glock, and shot thousands of rounds through them and I do not recall ever having a stovepipe. On “duty” I’ve carried a M9, a S&W model 19 (both 4” and 2.5”), and I also carried a Sig 228, a full sized 1911, a 4013 TSW, and a G27. My current carry (as of yesterday) is a G17 MOS. I like a full size, or nearly full size gun/grip.
I admittedly haven’t shot Gen 5 glocks. I’m still open to the idea. But man I do love what walther has done with the PDP

In 20 years of owning 9 & 10mm Glocks, I've only had one malfunction and it was an ammo related malfunction.
Zero malfunctions in S&W autos, but I sold them all.
Shitloads of malfunctions in an out of spec P228. Sold that.
My M9 failed to lock open on an empty mag about 1/3 of the time. Still have it.
Don't like Walther's mag releases.

I carry a Sig in the summer and a Glock when it gets to winter time wear a jacket weather.

Glocks have had their growing pains, but if you're seeing consistent issues across multiple pistols by that brand it is likely a software problem.
Easy now… I can say with assurances that it’s not a software problem. I train with guys that would kick my ass if that was ever to be an issue. We’d see it across platforms as well. I don’t. I’m also an instructor so I try to stay current and open to all things and techniques.

I just see Glock needs to be smacked around a bunch. I don’t like that. I want to draw and know it’ll go bang.

More information needed:

1. What “job” are you on? PD, CIA, Mall Cop?
2. You are “on the job” and want to pick a different duty/service pistol to use on the job, or off the job as personal carry?
3. Can you pick your own duty/service pistol? Some PDs will inspect/approve a personal selection but most will not.

Back
Top Bottom