Service / carry pistols?

More information needed:

1. What “job” are you on? PD, CIA, Mall Cop?
2. You are “on the job” and want to pick a different duty/service pistol to use on the job, or off the job as personal carry?
3. Can you pick your own duty/service pistol? Some PDs will inspect/approve a personal selection but most will not.
1. PD
2. I’m content with PDP. Curious what others like and why
3. I have choice

When I first shot my G43 I got stovepipes after every 3 rounds, mag after mag.

Yup, I was a limp wristing daisy smelling twinkle toed homo, thought it was the gun.

Not an experienced handgun shooter with doody pistols.
Limp wristing is a lot like ED. No one likes to talk about it, but a lot of people have that problem.

I've shot a modified G17/G47 quite a bit. There were some issues early on in the transition with ammo selection. Once they figured out the right ammo, ran like a dream.

I carried the USP Compact in 40, the 96D in 40, and that Glock. The HnK and Baretta got put through the ringer, between those 2, I'd carry the HnK any day and twice on Sunday before I'd carry or buy a Baretta again. I'd think the Glock would be as good as the HnK overall, but it's a girl's gun in 9mm.

1. PD
2. I’m content with PDP. Curious what others like and why
3. I have choice
Not a LEO myself, but when I OWB open carry North of Concord NH (where the Live Free part starts) I carry a G19 Long Slide with Trij RMR and TLR1 light on a grip switch w/15rd mag & 17rd spare. The added weight of the light helps recoil and it’s a useful as a light too! Red dot for old eyes.

Local carry in the SoNH cities, it’s IWB SIG365 and Holosun 507 red dot w/12rd mag & 15rd spare. No need for a micro pistol for a routine duty/service weapon.

I’m not built to IWB a bigger gun well - chubby with little space between my rib cage and pelvis to tuck a pistol. I shoot almost weekly.

Stovepipes on various ammo. Gen 3 and 4 were frequent. Couldn’t shoot wide range of ammo.
I’m curious. I’d bet you shoot quite a bit more than I do. But I own more than a few Glocks. A few with many many rounds fired. Only ever had one FTF in all my Glocks and thousands and thousands of rounds.
Anyway I carry a Glock 43x.

I don’t shoot small framed guns well. My hands are too big.
I find the G26 is a uncomfortable due to not being able to get enough fingers on it

the 48 and 43X has lots of grip for big hands, yes your fingertips go a bit further back on the slimmer grip but it is not an unnatural position, and the length of the grip is similar to a 19 or 17

I am a big fan of the Gen3 RTF2 17, but I understand some people don't like the finger grooves.

But the best gun for you is the one you are comfortable with, and that you know is going to go boom every time you make it click

We can tell you what we think, but you are going to have to find the right fit for you by trial and error.

Limp wristing is a lot like ED. No one likes to talk about it, but a lot of people have that problem.

Ya, felt kinda stupid afterwards. Didn't have the problem with my HK p30SK and I was probably limp wristing that one as well.

Does Glock tend to attract limp wristed shooters, or is it the other way around?

I find the G26 is a uncomfortable due to not being able to get enough fingers on it

the 48 and 43X has lots of grip for big hands, yes your fingertips go a bit further back on the slimmer grip but it is not an unnatural position, and the length of the grip is similar to a 19 or 17

I am a big fan of the Gen3 RTF2 17, but I understand some people don't like the finger grooves.

But the best gun for you is the one you are comfortable with, and that you know is going to go boom every time you make it click

We can tell you what we think, but you are going to have to find the right fit for you by trial and error.
Oh I’m not searching or wondering about my own choices as much as inquiring about other’ mileage. I’m very happy with the Walther PDP but noticed a lot of fellow officers carrying Glocks and will only carry Glocks.

Just out of curiosity, what agency/department at least around here lets Officers pick and choose their carry weapon?

Most want standardization for training and cost reasons.... and when you eventually get in that firefight that takes multiple mag drops, when you yell " I'm out" to the hot chick in the tight uniform if you don't have the same weapons, how is she going to toss you a magazine in order to make the kill shot?

Oh I’m not searching or wondering about my own choices as much as inquiring about other’ mileage. I’m very happy with the Walther PDP but noticed a lot of fellow officers carrying Glocks and will only carry Glocks.

Sure, that's fair, but "others' mileage" seems to be telling you the same thing: others are getting great mileage out of their Glocks.

Why aren't you?

Just out of curiosity, what agency/department at least around here lets Officers pick and choose their carry weapon?

Most want standardization for training and cost reasons.... and when you eventually get in that firefight that takes multiple mag drops, when you yell " I'm out" to the hot chick in the tight uniform if you don't have the same weapons, how is she going to toss you a magazine in order to make the kill shot?
Large departments often standardize because they issue they often issue the weapons. I’ve had chiefs give a choice of two or even three. Also, detectives frequently carry different pistols than patrol. Generally, you’re correct that for training and budgets, a standardized choice is mandated. In my case, we can currently choose. I convinced powers that be to try the Walther PDP after already issuing the PPQ with success. Some happily tried it while others stay with glock.

I had a friend that was a reserve on a local Sheriffs dept, they let the reserve guys carry what they wanted for the most part as the agency was not supplying the pistols.

He had a Walther and liked it very much.....

Then one day the powers that be said everyone had to buy and carry a Glock.... my friend could not hit the broad side of a barn with it, but eventually qualified with it.

Why Glock?

The "blue label" program makes them probably the most affordable striker fired polymer pistol.

Magazine capacity

Holster choices

rail system takes lots of different lights if you are into those things.

Weight.... the more stuff you carry on your belt, the lighter you want your gun to be.

Warranty

Every department has a Glock armorer, and even if they don't finding one is easy enough.

They are not finicky if they never get cleaned.

They field strip in about 5 seconds

a dab of grease on the rails and they will work forever

Sure, that's fair, but "others' mileage" seems to be telling you the same thing: others are getting great mileage out of their Glocks.

Why aren't you?
He’s a cop who supports ANTIFA it is a match made in hevean.
No. I supported their right to say fascists are not ok. I don’t support BLM anymore as an organization nor violence of Antifa. I understand their motives but it’s not as black and white as you’d love to paint me.

This guy smacks the shit out of his Glock to get it going

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ItfxMTanNaE

I had a friend that was a reserve on a local Sheriffs dept, they let the reserve guys carry what they wanted for the most part as the agency was not supplying the pistols.

He had a Walther and liked it very much.....

Then one day the powers that be said everyone had to buy and carry a Glock.... my friend could not hit the broad side of a barn with it, but eventually qualified with it.

Why Glock?

The "blue label" program makes them probably the most affordable striker fired polymer pistol.

Magazine capacity

Holster choices

rail system takes lots of different lights if you are into those things.

Weight.... the more stuff you carry on your belt, the lighter you want your gun to be.

Warranty

Every department has a Glock armorer, and even if they don't finding one is easy enough.

They are not finicky if they never get cleaned.

They field strip in about 5 seconds

a dab of grease on the rails and they will work forever
Truth. Holsters we’re a bitch to find for walther.

Go ahead laugh and flame- I love my 92F. Yes it is big and heavy but so am I am.

Also enjoy glock 17

Note: Not a policeman
Glock in any flavor and the Beretta 92 have been the most reliable pistols for me. Ive litterally taken about 7-8 glocks out of the box over the years, run them with a variety of ammo including my mouse fart reloads and never had a malfunction.

But shoot what ever you like ergonomically and reliabilty wise.......no one cares.

Back
Top Bottom