Shield 10 round kit

bigpick

NES Member
Sorry if this has been posted I didn't see it. Has anyone installed the kit to make the shield hold 10 rounds instead of the 8? If so does it cause any issues and does it cause any differences in the feel when firing or concealing?

Sorry if this has been posted I didn't see it. Has anyone installed the kit to make the shield hold 10 rounds instead of the 8? If so does it cause any issues and does it cause any differences in the feel when firing or concealing?
Just go on eBay and buy a ProMag 10-round magazine for $20. It's a little longer but it's more comfortable to shoot. The only problem I had with it was when I first bought it it was a little hard to get the 10th round in. Once it's broken and it works great.
4b0b9511f325452d7bbaaeea5338b31e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Just go on eBay and buy a ProMag 10-round magazine for $20. It's a little longer but it's more comfortable to shoot. The only problem I had with it was when I first bought it it was a little hard to get the 10th round in. Once it's broken and it works great.

Most of the reviews I have read about ProMag's have been less than stellar and marred by unreliable performance. It's good to hear that your experience was different.

I believe what you have pictured here would be called a 'chode.' It's a technical term.

Whatever you want to call it. Probably fired 600 to 800 rounds with it and never had a problem. Fits tight helps with my draw probably because of my big hands. Definitely recommend it.

Friends don't let friend buy Pro Mag.

^this
how promag is still in business is beyond me

OP-
the best shield mag mods I have found are from mag guts. they have a +1 follower-spring and an extended baseplate. their stuff is heavily tested. they work well even w heavy use.

if you are referring to the MAgGuts+2 kit, I have them in 2 of my 8 round mags and in one of my 7 round mags.
I've had no problems with any of them and I've probably put 6-700 rounds through them collectively,
I also have one of the Promag 10 rounders. I haven't had any problems with that one either but it
is considerably longer than the magguts kit or the Hyve kits that are out there.
I use that one at the range,but don't carry it.

^this
how promag is still in business is beyond me

Cuz skinflints. 80% of their mags are probably bought by skinflint tinfoilers who throw them in a pile in their closet next to the boxes of other guns and stuff they bought that collect dust. The whole industry has been ravaged by these people since 2012.

-Mike

Serious question--I'm not trying to be a smartass.

Why did you buy a Shield? And why would you practice shooting a compact carry pistol with a 10 round mag?

I run the mag guts +1 in the 8 round mag to give 9+1 in the gun, and then the hyve extensions for two backup 10 rd mags. both options function 100% for me. no issues. i probably have a little less than a thousand rounds through them combined.

Serious question--I'm not trying to be a smartass.

Why did you buy a Shield? And why would you practice shooting a compact carry pistol with a 10 round mag?
Because it's less than an inch thick so i can wear it with T-shirt. I practice shooting it because god for bid someday I might have to use it. Obviously would not shoot in competition. Started carrying 10rd ProMag as a back up mag. After shooting it a few times realized the longer length grip made it easier to shoot and more accurate on top of increasing capacity to 10 + 1(which is all I'm allowed to have in his communist state). Never had a miss feed or miss fire with either. In my opinion they're made just as well if not better than Smith & Wesson's. I really hate the gun snobs on here. We're on the side here and there's more than one way to do things.

Because it's less than an inch thick so i can wear it with T-shirt. I practice shooting it because god for bid someday I might have to use it. Obviously would not shoot in competition. Started carrying 10rd ProMag as a back up mag. After shooting it a few times realized the longer length grip made it easier to shoot and more accurate on top of increasing capacity to 10 + 1(which is all I'm allowed to have in his communist state). Never had a miss feed or miss fire with either. In my opinion they're made just as well if not better than Smith & Wesson's. I really hate the gun snobs on here. We're on the side here and there's more than one way to do things.

The ProiMag hate isn't about elitism, it is about a well-earned (historically speaking) reputation for unreliability.

It has always been a mystery to me why cheap mag companies couldn't engineer and build a consistently reliable mag, and rather than spending shorter money hoping to get lucky with a mag that worked, I'd just pay a little more for an used/excellent, MecGar, or pony up for (admittedly fewer) OEM.

If ProMag has unf****ed their operation and are in fact at long last turning out reliable mags, then that is a win for the gun community.

Here's hoping.

Inre why you would purchase a compact pistol with a 3 inch barrel and then mod it into a five inch grip--oh well, I'll just let it go.

All the best.

Last edited:
Like i said it's thin which makes it easily concealable. Extra length of the doesn't matter under my shirt.

I run the mag guts +1 in the 8 round mag to give 9+1 in the gun, and then the hyve extensions for two backup 10 rd mags. both options function 100% for me. no issues. i probably have a little less than a thousand rounds through them combined.

How is it to install? Easy by yourself or did you have someone do it for you? Very new here so just trying to get some friendly advice. Thanks

Running 2 Hyve units here.
Buddy just picked 1 up for a Shield he bought last week.

Easy install if you can take the base plate off. You can install one.

Now if someone would make something for the 7 rounders. Mine is only good to me as a 5th backup/range mag.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it to install? Easy by yourself or did you have someone do it for you? Very new here so just trying to get some friendly advice. Thanks

Like Lowbird said/showed, the hyve kits and the magguts are very easy to do, and each company has youtube instructions that are easy to follow. 5 to ten minutes tops a mag.

I'm go to try these Hyve Technologies magazines. They look great and add the capacity that I am looking for also. Pro-Mag's are not going to be your solution. Just my opinion. YMMV

Jay

https://hyvetechnologiesbuilder.com/

Guarantee you've never owned a ProMag. Probably just repeat everything the guy at the gun store tells you and act like it's your own opinion.

Not sure if serious. Ive thrown one or two down range and shot them. Junk. Every once in awhile someone probably gets one that works but its like playing the shit lottery. No thanks.

I have a weapon that specifically states that if you use ProMags, it voids the lifetime warranty. How they can tell if I used ProMags to cause a problem that is not fixable, I don't know and don't care to find out. There are other options for the Shield that will work for you.

Jay
So you never use Pro mags and let me guess you don't own a shield? Do you even shoot bro?

I'm confused, a shield is easy to conceal because it's slim, yet you have a 1911 length grip with the pro mag that doesn't print when you wear a t shirt. So then if I,m following this thought process all those compacts and sub compacts with short grips aren,t manufactured because they help with cc they are really made so that people with tiny hands feel included. That's why full size 1911 are so popular in the summer. Got it

Back
Top Bottom