• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shirley, MA PD to offer pistol safety course.

Shirley Police Department
June 28 at 2:36pm ·

The Shirley Police Department will be hosting a Firearms Safety course. This course is a requirement to be able to apply and receive a Massachussetts License to Carry.
The class will be at the Shirley Police Department on Saturday August 6th starting at 9am and runs approximately 4 to 5 hours.
The cost is $100.00 cash, due at the day of the class being held.

To register for the class. Please contact Sgt. Peter Violette at the Shirley Police Department at 978-425-2642 or by e-mail at [email protected]

There are a number of limited seats for the class, which are filled on a first come basis.
Thank You,
Sgt. Peter Violette

Of course, not sure I want to take a class from a place that misspells Massachusetts. [grin]

Anyone ever take their safety course at their local PD?

If the police officer teaching the class is collecting a fee, other than department paid time (with the department keeping the class fee), and accepting students applying for an LTC in the same town, he is almost certainly in violation of MA ethics regulations.

My local department has been doing it for years now. From what I'm told by friends (2 from NH no less) who have attended report its a very good course that is taught by another area LEO.

- - - Updated - - -

If the police officer teaching the class is collecting a fee, other than department paid time (with the department keeping the class fee), and accepting students applying for an LTC in the same town, he is almost certainly in violation of MA ethics regulations.

Huh?

My local department has been doing it for years now. From what I'm told by friends (2 from NH no less) who have attended report its a very good course that is taught by another area LEO.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh?

It's basically a bribe to get your LTC: LEO is on duty being paid by the state/town to teach a class yet collects $100 from each student for the class to get their LTC. The only way that is not a bribe is if the money goes to the state/town and even still it's sketchy because you can argue preferential treatment is given to those students over other applicants in exchange for the money paid.

It's basically a bribe to get your LTC: LEO is on duty being paid by the state/town to teach a class yet collects $100 from each student for the class to get their LTC. The only way that is not a bribe is if the money goes to the state/town and even still it's sketchy because you can argue preferential treatment is given to those students over other applicants in exchange for the money paid.

Exactly. It is about the appearance of impropriety.

It's sort of like a prosecutor having a private meeting with a suspect's husband to discuss ships, sealing wax, cabbages and kings - but nothing about the case.

But, I would guess it's an "or" situation - the cop is on duty and the dept gets the $$, or off duty as a private business.

I have many questions about this course, some of them have already been alluded to.

Is this course being "Listed" as one of the acceptable courses or is it being given preference?
Is the PD using its standing to advertise for one of its officers?
Is the Instructor/Officer, if off the clock reimbursing the town for the use of the facilities?
Are other instructors that teach that course allowed to use the same resources, With the same financial arrangement?

This is one of those things that is a ethical dilemma for me: One the one hand it very obviously increases the gun owning ranks in this state. OTOH, there are a litany of very questionable ethical decision and preferential treatment benign afforded a member of the "more equal" class.

I have many questions about this course, some of them have already been alluded to.

Is this course being "Listed" as one of the acceptable courses or is it being given preference?
Is the PD using its standing to advertise for one of its officers?
Is the Instructor/Officer, if off the clock reimbursing the town for the use of the facilities?
Are other instructors that teach that course allowed to use the same resources, With the same financial arrangement?

Sorry but I'll let my post stand as I live in a pro 2nd town
To my knowledge no preference is given because anyone can attend.
The teacher does not work for the department.
Class is on Saturday.
Don't know about finance but I find it highly doubtful.

I think its great that the course is held and sponsored at the PD. It's not a town requirement, It's a state one as we all know. The fact that the local PD is helping one obtain a LTC is great! No?

Next thing to see here is people bitching and questioning a local SC doing the same thing and offering a membership to those who attended the class.

Last edited:
[video]https://youtu.be/piVnArp9ZE0[/video]

[video]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/piVnArp9ZE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

I can'y embed a damn video :(

Last edited:
Did he happen to mention:

[laugh2]

ETA: also this:

Great advice, because we are all the same, and all out to get you. Dont let anyone think for themselves, just barf out your own paranoid crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice, because we are all the same, and all out to get you. Dont let anyone think for themselves, just barf out your own paranoid crap.

I didn't say cops are all the same and out to get you. On the other hand, I don't think it's prudent to go running your mouth to some random cop at the station, especially if you don't know him well. What with the eff'd up laws in Mass, it wouldn't take much to get jammed up on a technicality of pre-ban, storage laws, "high capacity", transport, etc. That's not even to mention the possibility of running into one of those minority of cops who just makes up the firearm laws as they go along.

Don't take it personally, I know you are most likely a good guy. But unless someone has exceptional emotional intelligence abilities, they won't be able to tell that just by a casual conversation, or just looking at you.

Back
Top Bottom