ShotShow 2024

Took a selfie at the Shotshow:

Whait, I've seen this before!

920.383-prodotti_immagini_immagine2_939.jpg
The Chiappa is a copy of the Marlin. The Winchester is just re release of their old model 94-22. They didn’t pull a S&W and copy anyone.

Anyone see this yet? It showed up in my mail this morning. It's apparently the new in thing at Smith. It's definitely high on the cool factor for me and I love lever guns. I haven't even seen it in real life and I need it already lol:

1706015602618.png

SW is 100% run by monkeys with spreadsheets. They will f*ck up a gun in order to save $10 on a cutting tool. That how hard they skinflint.

But, SW has size, money and name recognition on their side. They can flood every gun store with their junk. For every person like me, that won't buy their crap, there are hundreds that don't care and will buy it.

The SW of the early 2000s would be manufacturing the lever action in 500, and the Ruger of the early 2000s would not allow them to be the only company offering a somewhat affordable large caliber lever action.

But that won't happen anymore.

Soon they will release the "performance center" lever action. They will put lipstick on it and charge $500 more, and people will buy it thinking "OMG, Performance Center, must be super tactical".

I hope eventually otjer companies start offering something different. Henry at least is doing something with guns like the Longranger. The market for 357 and 44 is so saturated.

Looks like Winchester picked up the 45/90 production.
Would love to see them produce more 45/120 and 50/120. But that is a very unique market of non-pussies and studs. For everyone else, I guess they have the 357, 45, 44 ...
I s***w myself by sticking to my principal of only buying US Made guns, because the Miroku Winchesters are beautiful...but I just cannot buy an iconic American gun marked "Made in Japan". But for a 50-110 I'd break my principal....

(I can say the same for Cimarron revolvers...at $599 they're 300 less than vaqueros with better finish, but they're made in Italy).

I don't know I kind of like it. It has the side gate, tube feed, picatinny. I would like to hold one in my hands to see what it feels like and the action. I know my Henry is buttery smooth on the action and has never given me an ounce of trouble other than some premature rust.

I s***w myself by sticking to my principal of only buying US Made guns, because the Miroku Winchesters are beautiful...but I just cannot buy an iconic American gun marked "Made in Japan". But for a 50-110 I'd break my principal....

(I can say the same for Cimarron revolvers...at $599 they're 300 less than vaqueros with better finish, but they're made in Italy).

I buy quality.

The only downside to many companies that manufacture in other countries is after market support. It is almost non existent.

Take Pedersoli for example, their average rifle is like $1300. There is literally ZERO factory support in the U.S. if it wasn't for VTI Gun Parts, I wouldn't be able to find anything. Glad they exist.

I don't understand, how hard can that be?

Not sure if this has been said, but the Hellion isn't a copy of anything "Keltec", certainly not the RDB. The Springfield Hellion is based on the Croation VHS-2 Bullpup currently in service with the Croation Army.

"Based on the internationally proven VHS-2 bullpup, which has been employed by the Croatian armed forces in demanding environments ranging from Iraq to Africa and beyond, the Springfield Armory Hellion offers American shooters a semi-automatic 5.56mm version of this highly capable firear

Not sure if this has been said, but the Hellion isn't a copy of anything "Keltec", certainly not the RDB. The Springfield Hellion is based on the Croation VHS-2 Bullpup currently in service with the Croation Army.

"Based on the internationally proven VHS-2 bullpup, which has been employed by the Croatian armed forces in demanding environments ranging from Iraq to Africa and beyond, the Springfield Armory Hellion offers American shooters a semi-automatic 5.56mm version of this highly capable firearm."

View attachment 841906
My point was that the fpc has as much in common with the sub 2k as the hellion has to do with the rdb. They occupy the same part of the market, that's it.

Curious, what makes this one lever action cool?

Well when I look through the Henry catalog one rifle always stood out and appealed to me, the Big Boy All Weather. The Smith seems kind of like the same but with the picatinny already built in at the factory. Again I've never held one in my hands but it's a kind of rifle I would love to get my hands on. Both the Henry and Smith versions are in the same price range.

"Based on the internationally proven VHS-2 bullpup, which has been employed by the Croatian armed forces in demanding environments ranging from Iraq to Africa and beyond, the Springfield Armory Hellion offers American shooters a semi-automatic 5.56mm version of this highly capable firearm."

View attachment 841906
Does anyone have any experience with the Hellion?

Why a Hellion and not an AR15? (Beaides the bullpup).

Well when I look through the Henry catalog one rifle always stood out and appealed to me, the Big Boy All Weather. The Smith seems kind of like the same but with the picatinny already built in at the factory. Again I've never held one in my hands but it's a kind of rifle I would love to get my hands on. Both the Henry and Smith versions are in the same price range.

I just looked at the MSRP, you are right.
Not sure why someone said in the shotshow 2024 thread it was a lot higher.

Don’t have experience with one, but based on the objective facts about: Bullpup is the only reason. It is pretty much a military rifle, like the Tavor. So it should be reliable. Basically just another bullpup option for those who like bullpups. But the length of pull is adjustable from long to really long.

Maybe someone with experience can add some subjective reasons why.

I have a Tavor X95 which fills my bullpup fix, so no desire for another. I have zero real world experience with the Hellion, but the issue I see right from the start is it's new and there is no/limited aftermarket. The Tavor has been around for a while now and has a goodly number of accessories to include the Geissele trigger pack/lightning bow which fixes one of the major problems with most bullpups: a shit trigger.

The reviews of the Hellion are pretty good:

It is truly ambi. Stock trigger is better than most other bullpups and pretty light (<5lb). Stock sights are decent (unlike the Tavor). It uses PMAGS. It's a 2MOA gun, so not great accuracy.

I think the question isn't why a Hellion vs. an AR15. The better question is "Is it better than a Tavor/Styr/FS2000/RDB/etc.?". The reasons behind a bullpup vs. an AR don't change: SBR LoP without SBR paperwork/tax stamp. Reliable and cleaner piston system. Something different than the usual modern sporting rifle AR/AK.

Anyone see this yet? It showed up in my mail this morning. It's apparently the new in thing at Smith. It's definitely high on the cool factor for me and I love lever guns. I haven't even seen it in real life and I need it already lol:

View attachment 842122

I just can't. Lever guns should have wood stocks and fore ends, and a picatinny is a big nope for me...

It's like at the end of Grand Torino when the lawyer is reading the will and says, "As long as you can refrain from painting flames on it or putting a big gay spoiler it, they just look like hell... it's yours.

Back
Top Bottom