ShotShow 2024

Not sure if this has been said, but the Hellion isn't a copy of anything "Keltec", certainly not the RDB. The Springfield Hellion is based on the Croation VHS-2 Bullpup currently in service with the Croation Army.

"Based on the internationally proven VHS-2 bullpup, which has been employed by the Croatian armed forces in demanding environments ranging from Iraq to Africa and beyond, the Springfield Armory Hellion offers American shooters a semi-automatic 5.56mm version of this highly capable firearm."

View attachment 841906
This will probably be my next rifle. Been hearing mostly good things about them. Only universal negative is the safety. Trigger is typical bullpop but since I've never actually shot a nice rifle trigger what the hell do I know

This will probably be my next rifle. Been hearing mostly good things about them. Only universal negative is the safety. Trigger is typical bullpop but since I've never actually shot a nice rifle trigger what the hell do I know
You have an AR? Swap out the stock trigger for a Geissele.

I run SD-Enhanced flat bow trigger on my AR10 and SD-Combat on my BCM and the Lightning Bow with Super Sabra Trigger pack on my Tavor. Amazing triggers. Easy to install too.

Don’t have experience with one, but based on the objective facts about: Bullpup is the only reason. It is pretty much a military rifle, like the Tavor. So it should be reliable. Basically just another bullpup option for those who like bullpups. But the length of pull is adjustable from long to really long.

Maybe someone with experience can add some subjective reasons why.
The AR platform technology is over 67 years old. Technology and design have moved on, but people are clinging to "America's rifle," just like with the 1911.
We like to make fun of Colt and consider Daniel Defense a top-notch manufacturer. Yet Colt took a chance on a new technology(AR-15) while DD is tuning an ancient platform and selling it for thousands of dollars more than it's worth.

Styer took a chance with Aug., and IWI took a chance with Tavor. I guess America is no longer the nation of risk-takers, gun designers, and innovators... Heck, even Turkey is taking our lunch with all these new designs.

I don't know I kind of like it. It has the side gate, tube feed, picatinny. I would like to hold one in my hands to see what it feels like and the action. I know my Henry is buttery smooth on the action and has never given me an ounce of trouble other than some premature rust.
My Henry's are all great shooters. And I have some premature rust as well but only on the levers.......I clean and oil the levers after every time I use them but doesn't seem to help. I think a new lever is only like 40 bucks so maybe I'll just replace them someday

The AR platform technology is over 67 years old. Technology and design have moved on, but people are clinging to "America's rifle," just like with the 1911.
We like to make fun of Colt and consider Daniel Defense a top-notch manufacturer. Yet Colt took a chance on a new technology(AR-15) while DD is tuning an ancient platform and selling it for thousands of dollars more than it's worth.

Styer took a chance with Aug., and IWI took a chance with Tavor. I guess America is no longer the nation of risk-takers, gun designers, and innovators...

Organizations at the top of their game in using firearms, who get to choose their weapons, choose AR pattern rifles. In countries that use bullpups for their conventional troops, their SOF usually choose…. AR variants. Maybe one will come out that is good enough to take the reins. It hasn’t happened yet. Sometimes I wonder if nothing better will come out before we get portable and effective rail guns or energy weapons.

The AUG was a risk. The Tavor? No. There’s nothing risky about designing and building a bullpup anymore, except business risk. The U.S. has had decades of risky R&D for small arms development, to include new types of ammunition. Advanced Combat Rifle and Objective Individual Combat Weapon sound familiar? Or the Next Gen Squad Weapon?

Just because something is new and risky, doesn’t mean it’s better.

Heck, even Turkey is taking our lunch with all these new designs.

🤣 No, Turkey isn’t taking anything from us.

Organizations at the top of their game in using firearms, who get to choose their weapons, choose AR pattern rifles. In countries that use bullpups for their conventional troops, their SOF usually choose…. AR variants. Maybe one will come out that is good enough to take the reins. It hasn’t happened yet. Sometimes I wonder if nothing better will come out before we get portable and effective rail guns or energy weapons.
Israeli Special Forces, including their highest tier Sayeret Matkal, are using Tavors. Their conventional forces use a mix of M4s, M16s, and X95s, with X95s slowly replacing the others. In the 80s-90s, the US provided up to 20% of the IDF's annual military equipment needs. Small arms were a large portion of that. Since then, the amount of military aid has dropped to less than 5% primarily for several reasons:
1) IDF has focused more on high-tech solutions; infantry rifles are not.
2) Israel has become a serious designer and producer of military equipment. For example, the latest F-16C Block 50 uses a new Israeli wiring architecture, saving weight and improving performance. They've also designed conforming fuel tanks that most F-16 NATO operators have purchased. All US-made AGM-65 air-to-ground missiles have been using Israeli-made sensors since 2007.
3) Israel has become a net exporter in US-Israel trading. No offense, but decades of US policy focusing on destroying our manufacturing sector has made a significant impact on what the US can help other countries with.

As a result, US "aid" to Israel comes in the form of commitments to purchase Israeli products for use in US military equipment. Not because the US wants to help Israel. No! It is because feckless politicians have destroyed our ability to produce and innovate in the military sector, and we now have to rely on our allies for help.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work with magwell adapters for normal AR lowers. It’s a neat upper though.
It works with regular magazines with 9mm inserts. Those inserts are cheap and turn any Magpul magazine into a proper 9mm one. No more special magazines or magwell adapters.

Israeli Special Forces, including their highest tier Sayeret Matkal, are using Tavors. Their conventional forces use a mix of M4s, M16s, and X95s, with X95s slowly replacing the others. In the 80s-90s, the US provided up to 20% of the IDF's annual military equipment needs. Small arms were a large portion of that. Since then, the amount of military aid has dropped to less than 5% primarily for several reasons:
1) IDF has focused more on high-tech solutions; infantry rifles are not.
2) Israel has become a serious designer and producer of military equipment. For example, the latest F-16C Block 50 uses a new Israeli wiring architecture, saving weight and improving performance. They've also designed conforming fuel tanks that most F-16 NATO operators have purchased. All US-made AGM-65 air-to-ground missiles have been using Israeli-made sensors since 2007.
3) Israel has become a net exporter in US-Israel trading. No offense, but decades of US policy focusing on destroying our manufacturing sector has made a significant impact on what the US can help other countries with.

As a result, US "aid" to Israel comes in the form of commitments to purchase Israeli products for use in US military equipment. Not because the US wants to help Israel. No! It is because feckless politicians have destroyed our ability to produce and innovate in the military sector, and we now have to rely on our allies for help.

Israel means bullpup good. Gotcha.

Frankly you don’t know what you’re talking about for innovation in the military sector. The things you’ve mentioned are such a tiny fraction of the new technology, equipment, and algorithms we develop.

Israel has become a net exporter because they like to do things in-house when possible. Can’t blame them. Doesn’t mean everything they make is great.

It works with regular magazines with 9mm inserts. Those inserts are cheap and turn any Magpul magazine into a proper 9mm one. No more special magazines or magwell adapters.

Unless you live in a state that requires preban mags. Or if you want commonality with your pistol.

Looks like they finally made one that doesn’t have an ejector built into it though. So good for them there.

This might be my next rifle as well.

Israel means bullpup good. Gotcha.

Frankly you don’t know what you’re talking about for innovation in the military sector. The things you’ve mentioned are such a tiny fraction of the new technology, equipment, and algorithms we develop.

Israel has become a net exporter because they like to do things in-house when possible. Can’t blame them. Doesn’t mean everything they make is great.
Israel is helping the US and its allies, and all you get is "F 'em. Our shit is better and bigger".

Unless you live in a state that requires preban mags. Or if you want commonality with your pistol.

Looks like they finally made one that doesn’t have an ejector built into it though. So good for them there.
They sell a restricted-state compatible version of a Magpul. It's physically blocked off and sealed(the baseplate is permanently riveted to the body).

Israel is helping the US and its allies, and all you get is "F 'em. Our shit is better and bigger".

😆 Israel still hasn’t apologized for intentionally shooting at one of our ships. Yeah, I don’t really care much about Israel other than the people and the position they’re in.

No, the Israel doesn’t care about helping the U.S. They never have. Israel looks out for Israel. That is their policy. I get it, they’re surrounded by countries that want them wiped off the earth. But I’m not going to pretend that they ever want to help the U.S.

No, my take away was not “F’ em. Our shit is bigger and better.” The point is that you bringing them up as some bastion of innovation that is way more innovative than the U.S. MIC is silly.

SW and "doesn't suck" in the same sentence. [rofl]

Maybe their old stuff and the MP15-22
I have to agree. I never owned a S&W gun that didn't suck. Every single one of them had function problems of some flavor. One of them having been bought new went back to the factory 3 times and still wasn't right.

I have to agree. I never owned a S&W gun that didn't suck. Every single one of them had function problems of some flavor. One of them having been bought new went back to the factory 3 times and still wasn't right.

I guess I lucked out with my old M&P45 or my old Gen 1 9mm shield. They ran/run great. I trust S&W over recently new model “beta test” Sigs. But S&W definitely wouldn’t be my go-to for a lever gun.

😆 Israel still hasn’t apologized for intentionally shooting at one of our ships. Yeah, I don’t really care much about Israel other than the people and the position they’re in.

No, the Israel doesn’t care about helping the U.S. They never have. Israel looks out for Israel. That is their policy. I get it, they’re surrounded by countries that want them wiped off the earth. But I’m not going to pretend that they ever want to help the U.S.

No, my take away was not “F’ em. Our shit is bigger and better.” The point is that you bringing them up as some bastion of innovation that is way more innovative than the U.S. MIC is silly.

Too many special interests, politicians that need to be paid off, red tape, and bureaucracy here. We don't innovate with speed anymore.

You took a couple of screenshots from Agilite: a company that stages all their videos to market to the US consumer(who like AR's). Is that your proof?

Are they not Sayeret Matkal? Yes, they are. And those aren’t marketing pictures, they’re just pictures of the unit in an article posted by agilite. Oh, plus the other pictures I posted, but you didn’t mention those.

More. Feel free to share some of them using Tavors.
IMG_9075.jpeg IMG_9076.jpeg

Last edited:
…We don't innovate with speed anymore.

Or the complexity of the things we make is much greater than the things we used to make. I’ll give you that yes, there is bloat, lethargy, and other issues causing delays. But there are legitimate increases in development timeframes because we’re making some really complex stuff now.

I've had a S&W M&P40 and a S&W M&P15T and both functioned flawlessly before I sold them. I currently have a S&W TRR8 .357 and a S&W PC Shield EZ .380. Both have had no issues so far, though they haven't seen extensive use yet. Just my experience.

I hear people have had issues with SIG as well. My Sig P220 and Sig 229 work well enough. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Or the complexity of the things we make is much greater than the things we used to make. I’ll give you that yes, there is bloat, lethargy, and other issues causing delays. But there are legitimate increases in development timeframes because we’re making some really complex stuff now.

Like the F-35 I suppose.... what has become a - oh what is it up to now, a 1.7 trillion dollar fighter program... Complexity isn't always better.

Styer took a chance with Aug., and IWI took a chance with Tavor. I guess America is no longer the nation of risk-takers, gun designers, and innovators... Heck, even Turkey is taking our lunch with all these new designs.
Yes, and by most judgments all of these substitues are failures in the marketplace both civilian or military. 🤣

Things like the Aug or Tavor failed to even reach 2nd tier benchmarks established by things like the FAL and G3.

Back
Top Bottom