SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

Not sure I see the point in these off road vehicles with terrible fuel economy, unless you already live where there are a bunch of dirt logging roads.

A Prius or VW TDI would make more sense as fuel will run out fast.

If I were a more dedicated prepper, I'd get a flex fuel diesel compact and keep a couple hundred gallons of diesel and cooking oil in my garage. This is also, not a bad choice as a way to hedge against short term fuel price spikes if the S never truly hits the fan. Unfortunately, for reasons that don't make sense to me, the US hates diesel cars which makes the fuel over priced and the selection of cars pretty limited.

Not sure I see the point in these off road vehicles with terrible fuel economy, unless you already live where there are a bunch of dirt logging roads.

If I were a more dedicated prepper, I'd get a flex fuel diesel compact and keep a couple hundred gallons of diesel and cooking oil in my garage. This is also, not a bad choice as a way to hedge against short term fuel price spikes if the S never truly hits the fan. Unfortunately, for reasons that don't make sense to me, the US hates diesel cars which makes the fuel over priced and the selection of cars pretty limited.

Diesel is a great choice it is too bad the US has made them so costly to own

A prius?? [rofl2][rofl2] GFL when the roads go sour, or when you need to go over rougher terrain. Or when you have to go over things in the road/trail. Then you'll really appreciate the ground clearance of a 4x4 vehicle.

For my next truck, I'll be looking at both gas, and diesel fueled. If diesel, I'll want turbo-diesel. I want good acceleration when I ask for it, in line with how a gas engine performs.

Don't look at a 4x4 truck as an 'off road vehicle' but more of a more terrain vehicle. Plus, the cargo capacity of a truck is far greater than your metrosexual prius.

There's a lot of talk about diesels here, which I know nothing about... but I've read something about newer diesel vehicles requiring "urea" or they'll turn off? Some kind of emissions control nonsense. If you ended up with a vehicle with such a system, 1) can you just pee in the urea tank 2) can the system (or the computer check for it I guess) be disabled?

A prius?? [rofl2][rofl2] GFL when the roads go sour, or when you need to go over rougher terrain. Or when you have to go over things in the road/trail. Then you'll really appreciate the ground clearance of a 4x4 vehicle.

For my next truck, I'll be looking at both gas, and diesel fueled. If diesel, I'll want turbo-diesel. I want good acceleration when I ask for it, in line with how a gas engine performs.

Don't look at a 4x4 truck as an 'off road vehicle' but more of a more terrain vehicle. Plus, the cargo capacity of a truck is far greater than your metrosexual prius.

I will never forget the summer of 1978 dad was driving the datsun B210 up an old mining road when we happened upon a CJ-5 stuck in a side-hill situation, dad pulled the CJ-5 out and then went around him and proceeded to bring us the rest of the way to the mine. I have found through the years it is the driver and not the vehicle that will get you through tough stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a lot of talk about diesels here, which I know nothing about... but I've read something about newer diesel vehicles requiring "urea" or they'll turn off? Some kind of emissions control nonsense. If you ended up with a vehicle with such a system, 1) can you just pee in the urea tank 2) can the system (or the computer check for it I guess) be disabled?

Different type of Urea

Process section, item 4.

BlueTec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am sure you can disable that. You can also carry enough urea to last for thousands of miles pretty easily.

I don't think all cars require it. I would certainly favor a car that didn't need it, but a tank should last several thousand miles so it's not a huge deal. I'm guessing the newer cars that require it, won't get along well with a vegetable oil tank.

A prius?? [rofl2][rofl2] GFL when the roads go sour, or when you need to go over rougher terrain. Or when you have to go over things in the road/trail. Then you'll really appreciate the ground clearance of a 4x4 vehicle......

Basing you prepping on Red Dawn and Mad Max? In real world SHTF situations, gas shortage and high prices are almost always a major problem.

Sure if I lived in Northern Maine already, a 4x4 would make sense. I live 7 miles from Boston. Short of a nuclear war, I'll be sticking it out at home.

If you have a plan that includes bugging out to a backwoods cabin, then a 4x4 may work best for you.

I don't think all cars require it. I would certainly favor a car that didn't need it, but a tank should last several thousand miles so it's not a huge deal. I'm guessing the newer cars that require it, won't get along well with a vegetable oil tank.

The urea is just for emmisions and the VWs seem to go 10-20k miles on one 5 gal tank. You can buy and refill yourself. The onboard computer will not allow car to start once tank is empty.

Adding Urea To Clean Diesel Cars: Can I Just Pee In The Tank?

A prius?? [rofl2][rofl2] GFL when the roads go sour, or when you need to go over rougher terrain. Or when you have to go over things in the road/trail....

when you're driving your 4x4 diesel making all that noise: GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! them zombies are going go wild and start chasing you down!

Meanwhile, I'll be gliding away in a Prius ever so silently [whirl.......] 1

I don't actually own a Prius, but if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying around 2

CITATIONS:

1. Weeds drive by scene: Weeds Toyota Prius Commercial - YouTube
2. Sergeant Major Basil: Plumley We Were Soldiers (2002) - Quotes - IMDb

when you're driving your 4x4 diesel making all that noise: GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! GLUG! them zombies are going go wild and start chasing you down!

[laugh]

Still, the roads are likely to be impassable due to masses of people/zombies trying to move.

You're going around or over, not through. Or you're staying where you are.

SHTF vehicle?
I'm going to shelter in place, on the couch, with a beer, and watch it unfold on MSN.
[thinking]

stryker
stryker.jpg

Back
Top Bottom