SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

How many people with SHTF vehicles - who are planning to bug out - have a place they either own or are welcome at - to bug out to?

Because my guess is, with finite resources, you may not be as welcome as you think.

You're actually just a refugee with a camper/truck, or a trespasser. It may sound inhospitable, but neither are going to be welcome on my property for any period of time.

Cessna 170 with bush wheels.
CESSNA170-3jpg.jpeg

How many people with SHTF vehicles - who are planning to bug out - have a place they either own or are welcome at - to bug out to?

Because my guess is, with finite resources, you may not be as welcome as you think.

You're actually just a refugee with a camper/truck, or a trespasser. It may sound inhospitable, but neither are going to be welcome on my property for any period of time.

While you make an excellent point, the bottom line is, by the time I reach your place, you'll have either fought and won numerous battles to keep your place, or I'll encounter the people that beat you.

Either way, I'm bringing canned corn.

How well do older, carburated cars, cope with todays ethanol?

My great uncle died a few years back, and my uncle is looking to get rid of his prestine 80's Ramcharger. I can get it for a song and it has a plow.

The best BOV is being in excellent physical condition and the ability to cover 50+ miles per day on foot with gear in tow...

You don't even need a "doomsday" scenario for gas to run out from every local station within hours...and even if you're hoarding fuel, you may only have enough to get to one new location in your 6X6 Lifted whatever.

How well do older, carburated cars, cope with todays ethanol?

My great uncle died a few years back, and my uncle is looking to get rid of his prestine 80's Ramcharger. I can get it for a song and it has a plow.

If it runs well, grab it. I believe you can get some fuel treatment that will help the older engines (and probably all but the very latest ones) deal with the ethanol crap they're corrupting our fuel with.

IMO, the older engines are easier to maintain, with less things to go wrong.

2002 twin turbo Audi Allroad. AWD, air ride adjustable suspension, it's a wagon and it has heated seats for those cold days during S hitting the F. And it's 250hp and can be chipped to 300hp and almost 400 ft pounds of torque so you can tow anything. If you need to bug out, bug out in style.

Its basically a luxury ORV.

6BE1BD56-D8FF-422F-B4EF-DB412296DBD7-2402-000008AAB9BB1B66_zps6a38bd13.jpg

Last edited:
Solar panels / small generator

Drive up silently and take something else ?

Planning on buggin in anyway [laugh]

I don't know. The base model indicates ~ 60 mile range at highways speeds, so, call it an hour of run-time until recharging.

Recharging takes 6 hours (or at least an hour with some fast charger).

A GREAT choice for nimbly scouting around your fixed base, but a terrible choice for travelling any real distance. For your purposes though, probably is a decent pick. Uh... do they have a model that can be ridden by giants?

I'll read the thread over the weekend, and I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I'll throw this out there anyway.

Back in 2009 I used to hang on The Car Lounge, one of the biggest car discussion boards on the net, at least it was anyway. There was a similar discussion under the guise of "Zombie Apocalypse". The consensus was definitely a good, strong 4x4, but the wild card which became a favorite was to put a set of Hy-Rail wheels on the SHTF truck. For those that aren't familiar, Hy-Rail wheels are the small railroad wheels you see on railroad-owned trucks assigned to track maintenance and inspection. If they can be mounted to allow for ground clearance, which they usually can, then this would allow someone to ride smooth on railroad tracks if need be, even abandoned lines.

And although the equipment itself is pretty expensive, sometimes the railroads get rid of their old pickups and other trucks so - equipped, and don't take off the Hy-Rail equipment. Would be something to keep an eye on auctions and Craigslist if you want to try and get the equipment.

Back
Top Bottom