• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Skeet/Trap

If it throws shot, you can use it for Trap; if it shoots two shots quickly, you can use it for Skeet.

Is it ideal? No. So, either shoot what you got; borrow one; or improve the economy with a new purchase!

[laugh]

Seriously, the only gun I ever saw that was truly inappropriate for Trap was, IIRC a Saiga, because the thing only fed from the mag, and we were holding to the "One shell" rule as it was a class. Now, one of our shooters will do a Solo Speed Round: Load the 870, call for the first bird, next four birds as fast as the trap will cycle.

Bring it! [wink]

I've done it for laughs. I have even seen a friend shoot trap with a Taurus Judge .410 handgun. Surprisingly he even broke a few clays.

I tried aiming at a clay on the bank at my club tonight at about 25 yards. Couldn't hit the fecking thing. Needs a rear sight bad lol

What exactly did you try shooting it with? A slug? Because I don't understand how you could miss a stationary clay at 25yds with birdshot

If you were missing with a slug and a plain bead sight at 25 yards, you probably aren't using the correct sight picture. A 25yd shot with a slug and bead sight should be straightforward.

Last edited:
What exactly did you try shooting it with? A slug? Because I don't understand how you could miss a stationary clay at 25yds with birdshot

If you were missing with a slug and a plain bead sight at 25 yards, you probably aren't using the correct sight picture. A 25yd shot with a slug and bead sight should be straightforward.

I was wondering the same. Cross-eye dominant maybe?

i take mine out (trap shooting ) every month or so. It's a good way to practice with it.

The range near me, MRA has rules that I think won't allow it. Shotgun ranges limited to capacity of 1 or 2 rounds. Your range is ok with an 8 round tube?

The range near me, MRA has rules that I think won't allow it. Shotgun ranges limited to capacity of 1 or 2 rounds. Your range is ok with an 8 round tube?

Who the hell would join a range that only anly allows 2 round capacity on the trap range? MOST guys I shoot trap with run pump guns that hold 5 in the tube. What is MRA I have to look into this.........

And yes where I shoot they don't have a limit on capacity.......they may limit you to only loading 1 for trap range and 2 for skeet (doubles) but the actual capacity of the gun is not a problem.

Last edited:

They dont trust you to only load 1 or 2 rounds? Seems kinda silly. I can't imagine everyone there uses single shots or OU/SxS...?

They dont trust you to only load 1 or 2 rounds? Seems kinda silly. I can't imagine everyone there uses single shots or OU/SxS...?

^THIS.......is they guy talking about actual capacity or what the range officer will let you load in the gun.....there is a BIG difference in that terminology

Has anybody else found that the steel #7 shot patterns MUCH tighter than the #7 lead target loads out of the same shotty?

Absolutely! I run a fixed full choke......bought #7 steel one time by mistake......generally I hit 23-25 I went down to an 18 that day! Steel shot does not deform like lead and therefore stays tighter!

Who the hell would join a range that only anly allows 2 round capacity on the trap range? MOST guys I shoot trap with run pump guns that hold 5 in the tube. What is MRA I have to look into this.........
First, I'm not a member of MRA, I'm thinking here magazine capacity is not the issue but how many rounds are in the gun at a given time on the trap line. Most clubs follow ATA rules on the trap field, or say they do anyway, and they say only 1 round loaded for 16 yards and HCP at a time and 2 rounds for doubles. Action remains open and unloaded until it's your turn. They were put into place for safety.

Now, at your local clubs, these rules are sometimes "misplaced" cause, lets face it, we all like to...well, you know.

When I shot trap seriously in ATA, I would head to my local club for Sunday morning antics, and when they closed at noon, I headed to Minuteman SC for the real practice to begin for the rest of the afternoon.

First, I'm not a member of MRA, I'm thinking here magazine capacity is not the issue but how many rounds are in the gun at a given time on the trap line. Most clubs follow ATA rules on the trap field, or say they do anyway, and they say only 1 round loaded for 16 yards and HCP at a time and 2 rounds for doubles. Action remains open and unloaded until it's your turn. They were put into place for safety.

Now, at your local clubs, these rules are sometimes "misplaced" cause, lets face it, we all like to...well, you know.

When I shot trap seriously in ATA, I would head to my local club for Sunday morning antics, and when they closed at noon, I headed to Minuteman SC for the real practice to begin for the rest of the afternoon.

Gotcha......but rekonn said MRA limits shotguns to a CAPACITY of 1 or 2 rounds.........I kind of doubt that is true.

My load depends on who I'm shooting with. Some guys really push the two shell issue but if I'm shooting with people who don't care, I load 5 for trap and 4for doubles for skeet.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? Mass Rifle Association range rules, page 16. I'm not a member, just going by what I see online.

http://www.massrifle.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=90

It does state this........but......I think they are talking about what you are allowed to load in the gun.....I'd be pretty pissed if I showed up with my pum action shot gun that holds 5 rounds to shoot some sporting clays getting ready for upland game season and they told me I couldn't use it. Not to mention I'd say about half the guys shooting sporting clays are using their remmy 1100 or pumps at every sporting clays place I've ever been to.........

Maximum capacity:

Maximum capacity:

1 Round or 2 depending on course of fire

- - - Updated - - -

My load depends on who I'm shooting with. Some guys really push the two shell issue but if I'm shooting with people who don't care, I load 5 for trap and 4for doubles for skeet.
I just stick to loading one at a time on the trap range......I got into a good rhythm doing that and it works for me. The two clubs I shoot trap at only allow one shell in the gun at a time per ATA rules anyway.

Has anybody else found that the steel #7 shot patterns MUCH tighter than the #7 lead target loads out of the same shotty?

Most steel will pattern tighter than lead, usually one choke tighter. I don't use anything tighter than modified for duck hunting and early season over dekes gets the skeet tube.

No round limit on you gun, only what you can put in the gun on the range in question during the game in question.

Wrong.

^This^

There are plenty reasons to bash the MRA but please get the facts straight.

Re the shotgun field it is a relaxed atmosphere. Safety is # one. Directed to getting shooters into shooting shotgun. There are beginners to experts (Double A and master class) shooters there on Wed and Sun when the ranges are open.

At Trap one round is allowed in the gun when shooting singles. After your shot another round can be placed in the chamber and remain open until it is your shot again unless it is your last shot. If shooting trap doubles then 2 shots can be placed in the gun chamber open (for Double guns) and one in an open chamber one in you hand fed into the tube on your shot.

Sporting clays and 5 stand

O/U - SxS one or 2 rounds in the gun depending on the shot, action open.
Pumps / Semi: one in an open chamber and one in the hand until your shot. Chamber can be then closed and the second round fed into the tube.

No one cares what you bring or the barrel length etc. provided you can handle it and not cause a problem (this goes for any length shotgun). Pistol grip only (no stock) shotguns would not be allowed. Pistol grip stock shotgun & thumb hole would be allowed.

It may be suggested that you find a barrel with more length if you show up with a 18" shotgun but that is only intended as help. Longer barrels swing better and have a longer sight picture, if that is what you have and you want to shoot it, then that is fine as well.

Want to try my Vepr 12 with 22'' barrel (22.44'' to be exact) thinking on adding Poly Choke II (any other suggestions on a choke?). That will add another 3" of total 25.5" We'll see if I can do any good with that. BTW are new members allowed to skeet field? Or is there 6 month trial period like to the rest outside ranges? I'm talking about MRA

No membership required for clay games at the MRA.

If shooting a vepr bring extra mags if you have them makes it easier.

Use any shotgun you like.
Barrel length has nothing to do with the shot guns ability to break clays.
If your shotgun shoots where you look and you are following through the clay will break. I used a 870 express for several years before buying my Browning trap OU. The Browning is a much better set up for trap. I also have a crazy adjustable stock on it.
3 things I learned quickly.1. Keep your eyes on the target 2. Follow through on your move to and through the target 3. Don't give to much thought to it.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/downloads/brochure-downloads.aspx

Some things that will help you shoot better. Shoulder the shotgun on your dominate eye side and shoot with 2 eyes open. Yes some shoot with 1 eye but its a disadvantage...the few people I know that close one eye are shooting are allxshooting with the non dominate eye or a vission problem that is tough with their current RX

Back
Top Bottom