Storing firearms in a locked room

My guess is that the SJC doesn't think that a locked room suffices, but would rather leave things as ambiguous as possible. From reading over case law, it appears to me that judges usually try to make their rulings as narrow as possible. In this case, that meant that rather than getting into the ambiguities of what constitutes secure storage, they simply picked out the easiest disqualifier. The benefit (from their point of view) is that this doesn't clarify the state of the law at all for gun owners and at the same time it makes it easier for a future ruling to be even worse.

Winner Ding Ding Ding

Make it so ambiguous that we have no chance!

Same here with the keypad lock, the other thing is that it locks automatically after about 8 seconds, so if you put in the number and then don't open the door soon enough it locks again.

If youre both licensed and there's nobody else in the house I'm confused as to why it would matter if the door is locked/if you set the keys down to sleep. My keys go next to me on the nightstabd at night and aside from tying them to my person thats as sexure as they can become. Doubtful that some stranger could come inside upstairs and in to my rokm to take the keys that are inches from my face before I shot them or scared them off with my gun. In any event, it has been explained to me that in a vehicle my handgun must remain "under my direct possession and control" at all times, and that if I am the only one in the car putting it on the seat next to me or between the seats for easier access is still legal. I asked if i can rig a hokster for inside the car and since my girlfriend is also licensed if she rode with me if that would be okay. I was told that since we are both licensed it would be fine to take the gun off my hip or out of my coat holster and put it in a holster between my seat and middle console. This being said i think that sets a standard that if you and your wife are the sole occupants and both licensed then it's okay to keep a gun out or even just locked in a room rather than in a safe in that room.

What you think makes sense and what a judge rules the law to be have nothing to do with each other.
Well yeah thats always true but we're talking about the law not the judge's whim right? Your vehicle is an extension of your home so i figure that ruke for your vehicle stems from legislation about home firearm Possession and storage

I thought they just had to be secure. I mean you can leave a rifle in your closet with a trigger lock. What is suggested here far outweighs a trigger lock. As long as the door isn't left open or unlocked there shouldn't be an issue...right?

Well yeah thats always true but we're talking about the law not the judge's whim right? Your vehicle is an extension of your home so i figure that ruke for your vehicle stems from legislation about home firearm Possession and storage

Are you new to this part of the country? [wink]

Uh no ive lived in MA all my life and college in CT. Im just talkibg about the letter of the law you woukd use as a defense in court. Not sentiment ir the judge's personal opinion but the letter of the law.

Are you Peter Pan, I think you are talking about never never land bc that's not how the law works in this state. In MA, judges just make up their own law to justify their BS rulings "because gun". Read some of the decisions handed down recently in Comm2A cases where the State didn't have a leg to stand on according to "the lawr" and the judge sided with them anyways.

There is the written lawr and there is case lawr. The courts in MA live on a different planet.

Are you Peter Pan, I think you are talking about never never land bc that's not how the law works in this state. In MA, judges just make up their own law to justify their BS rulings "because gun". Read some of the decisions handed down recently in Comm2A cases where the State didn't have a leg to stand on according to "the lawr" and the judge sided with them anyways.

There is the written lawr and there is case lawr. The courts in MA live on a different planet.

Well said.

Slinger:

Start at the front of this thread, and read it.

What is right or reasonable or sensible is not always what is lawful.

A gun in a locked closet may or may not be legal. A gun with a free cable lock from the local PD on the dining room table, in clear view of the local riff-raff is lawfully stored.

Slinger:

Start at the front of this thread, and read it.

What is right or reasonable or sensible is not always what is lawful.

A gun in a locked closet may or may not be legal. A gun with a free cable lock from the local PD on the dining room table, in clear view of the local riff-raff is lawfully stored.

I find I must correct you.

A gun stored in a specially reinforced vault, strong enough to require several hours of undisturbed work with power tools to gain access, can be found to be improperly stored, while that gun locked up with a free cable lock that can be cut off with a strong pair of scissors, is lawfully stored.

Law vs Case Law

Jeez guys im not tryna start an argument im having a discussion. I was just saying how the written law could be interpreted to defend this practice. I didnt say it woukd work 100 percent of the time with all judges. And if im peter pan that must make you tinkerbell pal

Listen pal, we would be happy if the law worked like that ANY of the time not sometimes. It doesn't.

If you don't realize that it's bc you haven't been paying attention. Read some case law and articles about guys getting jammed up for inane things. Gun law in this state is convoluted at best and the judges who decide cases have made it even worse. The DA's & AG make our lives more difficult without the support of even basic written law or constitutionality. Hell, there are several SCOTUS rulings that have been blatantly ignored in this state.

I find I must correct you.

A gun stored in a specially reinforced vault, strong enough to require several hours of undisturbed work with power tools to gain access, can be found to be improperly stored, while that gun locked up with a free cable lock that can be cut off with a strong pair of scissors, is lawfully stored.

Law vs Case Law

To which case do you refer?

If it's the Lowell case, the improper storage counts were eventually dropped (after a long time).

If it's another case, please cite it for reference.
And I said, "May or may not"; there's no definite answer. But the cable lock example meets the requirements of law, if not sense

Back
Top Bottom