• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stun Guns in MA? Anyone want one or know someone who does.

You know the rules: pics!

81Waz7TOoRL._SL1500_.jpg

Not exactly the responses I was looking for.

Just to be clear, we're treating all EDWs as a single class of weapon for the purpose of my question.

I would suggest it would be best to have persons interested in a "real Taser" (there is a civilian model that is smaller than the pistol shaped police one), as it would be best not to pursue a decision that simply legalizes non-Taser stun guns that are far less effective.

I need to think of how to properly articulate my response, but the gist of it is that I am a non sworn employee of a law enforcement agency. While I carry everywhere I am legal, policy makes it difficult to carry between home and work. Additionally, there have been instances of "unsatisfied customers" that I have encountered while off duty that, while concerning, have not led to the level of needing to report to the proper authorities (mainly due to not wanting to deal with the hassle and paperwork involved). My concern is that should something escalate, I would like an intermediate option between OC and my concealed firearm.

Bump. I've had some good responses thus far, but I'd really like to be able to add some folks who are not gun owners. I need the NES community to think about who among their friends, family or co-workers might be in philosophically alignment on this kind of 2A issue.

http://www.comm2a.org/contact-us/problem
Submitted from my perspective as a business traveler. Will try and recruit.

Are you looking for LTC only or is an FID holder a good fit.
Daughter is 4' 11" so disparity of force is an issue with anything bigger than squirrels.
She competes in speech and debate (LD), has spoken in front of the legislature during the last round of bills, and is quite passionate about her rights.
She turns 18 next March so age might be an issue if things moved before that.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Are you looking for LTC only or is an FID holder a good fit.

She turns 18 next March so age might be an issue if things moved before that.

Ask her to submit her name anyhow if she wants. And we are actually looking for non LTC holders.

Bump. I've had some good responses thus far, but I'd really like to be able to add some folks who are not gun owners. I need the NES community to think about who among their friends, family or co-workers might be in philosophically alignment on this kind of 2A issue.

http://www.comm2a.org/contact-us/problem

Ive been working on my wife for this, but she isn't going for it :-(

Just to pile on the thread I guess...

My girlfriend doesn't like guns. Id say it's highly doubtful she'd ever consider owning any of her own, let alone carrying for protection. She does see a need for protection though. The pepper spray in her shoulder bag is an option, but a taser/stun gun appears to be much better.

Id even carry one in the right circumstances.

Just to pile on the thread I guess...

My girlfriend doesn't like guns. Id say it's highly doubtful she'd ever consider owning any of her own, let alone carrying for protection. She does see a need for protection though. The pepper spray in her shoulder bag is an option, but a taser/stun gun appears to be much better.

Id even carry one in the right circumstances.
If she's interested in having a stun gun, even if in theory, have her contact us.

If this project is successful, plaintiffs won't be required to carry stun guns......

Just to clarify- are you looking for people who are willing to be plaintiffs, or just for some good examples of end users?

I always wanted one but I know exactly where it would go with my idiot friends once we started drinking. Definitely wouldn't mind getting the lady one she doesn't enjoy guns no matter how hard I try although she's less freaked out about them now and always carrys a blade so I'm making headway

It's a valid self defense option. They keep telling us we can't have our guns. Well, F that, but if that's their position give us something less lethal as well. There's a reason most LEOs carry them.

OK, I'm probably reading it wrong, but didn't Caetano strike down 140-131J as being an unconstitutional prohibition of a protected class of weapon under 2A?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, I'm probably reading it wrong, but didn't Caetano strike down 140-131J as being an unconstitutional prohibition of a protected class of weapon under 2A?

Great question. The US Supreme Court did not strike down 131J, they overturned Caetano's conviction and they rejected the SJC's reasoning for upholding 131J. The case is moot now as charges against Caetano have been dropped. If the Commonwealth had chosen to pursue this case further, they could have provided different legal reasoning for upholding 131J. It's possible that the constitutionality of 131J could be upheld based upon other legal reasoning, but it's doubtful.

The net effect is that 131J is in legal limbo. It's still on the books and technically valid law, but unenforceable - sort of like laws against co-habitation and sodomy. You can't buy a stun gun in Massachusetts and you won't be arrested or prosecuted for possessing one. But a police officer would likely confiscate it from you because it's still 'illegal' to possess one.

My guess is that the Commonwealth is perfectly happy with this ambiguity.

There are two ways that 131J can be overturned: a prosecutor can decide to prosecute someone for stun gun possession and take the case all the way (won't happen), or someone can mount a Second Amendment facial challenge to the law.

No it was remanded back to the SJC to find in a manner not inconsistent with SCOTUS ruling - Mass took that sliver of room and offered the deal of a lifetime to Caetano in order to moot the case.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I have nothing against civilians using tasers. I think we should be able to own them. However I wouldn't carry one because mainly the taser is used to temporarily incapacitate someone so they can be hand cuffed. I do carry an MK-3 size pepper spray with me along with my concealed carry weapon of the day.

However pepper spray shouldn't be stored in a vehicle especially in the summer the can could pop open... A stun gun/taser would be a good alternative to throw in a glove box and carry in a remora holster for when you can't carry a gun. Plus with a taser you wouldn't have to worry about it blowing up in your car like a can of pepper spray could.

Flash Stun Gun with Flashlight

This is an excerpt from the Mace brand stun gun website, it appears they have heat limitations also, which surprised me:

STORAGE: Store in cool dry areas away from heat, flame or strong sunlight. Do not store where temperature may exceed 120°F/50°C such as an enclosed vehicle.

Flash Stun Gun with Flashlight

This is an excerpt from the Mace brand stun gun website, it appears they have heat limitations also, which surprised me:

STORAGE: Store in cool dry areas away from heat, flame or strong sunlight. Do not store where temperature may exceed 120°F/50°C such as an enclosed vehicle.

May be that the increase in temp increases internal electrical resistance. It's not an issue for storage per se, but if you use it while hot it may trip a circuit breaker internally and shut down.

Back
Top Bottom