• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Summers coming. Who's getting ready to change over their CCW and method of carry?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Me for one! In the summer months I move to a .380 and pocket carry. Not a huge fan of wearing an IWB holster that will eventually rub directly against the skin and I'm not a fan of wearing a wife beater under my t-shirt. So for me it's an easy transition to pocket carrying? Much easier to get access to the CCW if needed and MUCH more comfortable.

Who else changes their gun in the summer and how they carry?

I tend to spend more time in the water in the summer months so I'll typically switch over to a G3.

26239176_1829494800425131_3878148099893157400_n.jpg

Folks who carry bigger guns in the winter - how do you plan on drawing from under your jacket?
There are some company that design coats and heavy duty shirts with slits in them specifically for people who concealed carry.

Stuff always seems to be twice as expensive though.

Not a huge fan of wearing an IWB holster that will eventually rub directly against the skin and I'm not a fan of wearing a wife beater under my t-shirt.

Ever try a Clinger Cushion? I use one year round for IWB, pretty much alleviates the direct against the skin issues - it's breathable & washable and overall more comfortable.

Me for one! In the summer months I move to a .380 and pocket carry. Not a huge fan of wearing an IWB holster that will eventually rub directly against the skin and I'm not a fan of wearing a wife beater under my t-shirt. So for me it's an easy transition to pocket carrying? Much easier to get access to the CCW if needed and MUCH more comfortable.

Who else changes their gun in the summer and how they carry?
Not directed at you.

Changing method of carry and weapon for the season is one of the most retarded things anyone can do.

There are some company that design coats and heavy duty shirts with slits in them specifically for people who concealed carry.

Stuff always seems to be twice as expensive though.
Usually ugly AF with poor fitting.

Like everything 5.11, fits like sh*t, and 5.11 tends to be on the less ugly side.

Don't change my P220 and still carry it tucked inside a t-shirt in an IWB tuckable, still carry a spare mag. I do change from a loose sweater as the winter overgarment to an untucked button down short sleeved fishing shirt as the summer overgarment. The sweater lets me carry with my jacket open almost all the way through the winter ... still haven't changed the buttons out for magnetic closures, though. Maybe that's a summer project.

I was considering the @minininjer chest holster for summer hiking but 1. it's all sold out, and 2. I would still be unable to access under my shirt because I wrap my backpack's waist buckle around everything. Without the waist buckle, this would absolutely be the way to go.

40141471585_f8704f0558_c.jpg

I've done deep conceal (i.e. crotch holsters) before while hiking but it's not comfortable or sustainable. Maybe an open pouch that secures to your backpack strap with a kydex holster inside? Nah. Open carry is the way to go but I'm not yet ready for that. I'll just use good situational awareness with pepper spray + knife combo.

3 years ago i moved here frome somewhere owb and locked in the glovebox was fine. I got several crap universal iwb holsters but since my guns not on the stupid roster, nothing worked well.

Thats when i got over the stigma of the fanny pack. I like to wear trunks and sandals all summer since i live near the beach.

Just yesterday, the tactical fannypack from fieldcraft survival came in. Im not in love with it yet, but just in time for bathing suit season

Edit. Thats not the g from before. Thats my new EZ

Attachments

• 20230422_010610.jpg
    20230422_010610.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230422_010705.jpg
    20230422_010705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Usually ugly AF with poor fitting.

Like everything 5.11, fits like sh*t, and 5.11 tends to be on the less ugly side.
KUHL and Vertx make some good stuff.

Vertx pants might be the best pants I’ve ever owned and they are designed for concealed carry.

Both are $$$ though.

I carry a G43 year round. I don’t switch with the seasons.

nah, same carry gear/location all year. i recently changed guns after 10 years with a gen 1 shield cause i'm too old and weak to work the slide. a little nervous about that and the new feel as i reach for it. i'm a believer that one should not often make too many drastic changes in their carry set up...muscle memory and all. if you ever need to draw your pistol and you reach for a dead spot on your belt line where the gun use to sit cause it's now in a pocket, well, those couple of seconds for that fumble could be very, very long seconds. any changes and i believe a bunch of practice is in order. by the time your proficient enough, it's time to switch back. like in op's case...you got to be able to reach in a pocket, get a decent grip and pull it on outta there smoothly and seamlessly.. you don't want to have to reposition the gun in your hand once it clears the pocket. just my opinion and thoughts on this, you asked.

I was considering the @minininjer chest holster for summer hiking but 1. it's all sold out, and 2. I would still be unable to access under my shirt because I wrap my backpack's waist buckle around everything. Without the waist buckle, this would absolutely be the way to go.

40141471585_f8704f0558_c.jpg

I've done deep conceal (i.e. crotch holsters) before while hiking but it's not comfortable or sustainable. Maybe an open pouch that secures to your backpack strap with a kydex holster inside? Nah. Open carry is the way to go but I'm not yet ready for that. I'll just use good situational awareness with pepper spray + knife combo.
Prepare to be influenced:
This is why so many of us now use Hill People Gear Kit Bags. Keep your pistol and some other gear that you always want on you and it fits between the straps of your backpack.
IMG_8339_1000.JPG

Since I moved to NC I'm not to concerned about concealment. I am more concerned about comfort. Example carrying a Sig P226 isn't that hard but becomes in issue when I am in a modern car with bucket seats. I have no idea how cops do it for a whole shift. Modern car seats tend to hug the body somewhat probably for Safety issues. So fullsize Semi auto carry is a pain.. However.. full size revolver carry with Panel wooden grips or typical pachmayer grips isn't

My Set-up
Daily Carry During the week: Sig P365 Stock with the flat baseplate 10 round mag in a 508 IWB holster with metal monoclips (in scrubs AFTER work locked in my car off work property).

Weekends/off days

S&W 3913 or S&W 6946, Model 64 4 inch .38 Revolver or Model 10 Snub nose .38 Revolver, in IWB Alien Gear or whatever leather or Safari land holster , or old cop holster I have it depends if I'm open carrying or not or if I'm going to the store etc.

Around the house is the S&W 642 J frame. I live in a very rural area.... IF something were to happen the Remington 870 is cruiser ready

Back
Top Bottom