Surviving job loss

Penny, I agree with you 100%.

I had an interview Friday 7/3, and thought it went well. I was a perfect match for the description and had al the right experience and certifications.

The following Thursday I got an email that the hiring manager was going to move forward with another candidate. Damn.
But it wasn't so bad because I go into every potential job opportunity not expecting it to work out.

Don

Man, I had 2 phone interviews then was flown out to Ohio on 6/26 and was told last week that HR would be contacting me soon with "news".
I'm still waiting, at least I haven't been told I'm out of the running.

Been watching this thread for a while. I have been there a few times myself. Very glad that things are looking up. I'll save the congrats with the official announcement to be forthcoming. Much luck to both of you.

Thanks all of you for allowing me to use this thread as a way to deal with some of the ups and downs of YET ANOTHER job loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was out 6 1/2 months. He will be Senior Project Manager of an IT department. It's a big step up.

Great news !! Congratulations. Been in the same position. Talk about stress financially, emotionally and relationship wise. Hang in there, life is tough but the alternatives suck worse.

Great news !! Congratulations. Been in the same position. Talk about stress financially, emotionally and relationship wise. Hang in there, life is tough but the alternatives suck worse.

I would have to count but I'm pretty sure this is his 7th job loss in 21 years of marriage. I think he has been out of work more than 4 years total in the last 16 years, we are finally pros at this and we don't let it interfere with our relationship.

If one of us blows off some steam at the other during a period of unemployment we both know it's not personal and it's not going to harm our relationship and we always make up.

So he is "back to work."

I am happy to say that he has received, not just a job, but a step up, from project manager (detour back to engineering) to Sr. Project Manager. With it came a serious pay bump. The first "real" raise in many years as it actually outpaces the rise in costs of things.

We are renting a house in Plano, TX - get the keys this Friday. It's very nice. But more importantly, we will be saving more money every month than what our rent is. We have kept our rent to less than 25% of NET. Many places will tell you to keep it under 25%-30% of gross. We went a bit more conservative. This will allow us to put away a good chunk of money every month in preparation for whatever comes next - good times or bad.

I thought I would let this thread close out but I think I have more I may want to share. So, from time to time, you may see me post here.

In the business/management world that he occupies (software) there is a serious trend toward employing "Agile" management techniques (vs traditional "waterfall") and he was remiss in not getting "certified" until less than a month ago (he was an accredited scrum master). So he became a Certified SCRUM Master and then the phone wouldn't stop ringing. It's amazing what having the correct acronym next to your name can do. What does this mean? What lesson should we learn? I guess the answer is that, despite experience or anything else, sometimes getting past the first hurdle is all about 3 little letters. In his case, CSM. So if you are in an industry where there are new "certifications" being touted, it may behoove you to get it, even if you have a secure job and 20+ years experience. We won't allow that mistake to happen again.

We have kept our rent to less than 25% of NET. Many places will tell you to keep it under 25%-30% of gross. We went a bit more conservative. This will allow us to put away a good chunk of money every month in preparation for whatever comes next - good times or bad.
You are doing something fairly rare these days: living within your means.[thumbsup][thumbsup]

Many people live the lifestyle they choose, even if they have to go in debt to do it.

Great news and wishing you the very best of luck. It is very true that one needs to stay ahead of the curve in certs and knowledge to stay competitive with the restive the crowd.

Good luck again...

Jim

Well, after 18+ years, I got "surplused" on Friday. 60 days to find another job within the company. It makes no sense, but I'm not a "yes" man, so it may have been targeted.
Radio Frequency Engineer with 22+ years in the industry + combat Vet skills and leadership.

I might do an about-face career-wise if I can find something working with disabled Vets and still be able to pay the bills. Giving back to my Brothers/Sisters-in-Arms may be more rewarding than a fat paycheck.

-JR

Last edited:
Well, after 18+ years, I got "surplused" on Friday. 60 days to find another job within the company. It makes no sense, but I'm not a "yes" man, so it may have been targeted.
Radio Frequency Engineer with 22+ years in the industry + combat Vet skills and leadership.

I might do an about-face career-wise if I can find something working with disabled Vets and still be able to pay the bills. Giving back to my Brothers/Sisters-in-Arms may be more rewarding than a fat paycheck.

-JR

just curious as i have never heard that term. What does being "surplused" mean exactly

just curious as i have never heard that term. What does being "surplused" mean exactly

Google is our friend:

A surplus employee is someone that a business or government agency no longer needs. A company may reassign surplus employees from one business unit to current or vacant positions elsewhere in an organization. The company may also implement temporary or permanent layoffs. Although staff reductions are an unpleasant experience for everybody, including the remaining employees, they are often necessary for competitive businesses.

Or it's internal politics and you lose. At least you can collect unemployment until you find something better. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom