tanning deer hides

While I have never done it myself, I remember watching my grandfather stretch the skin on a rack, and the I would help start scraping. You've got to remove all the fat from the skin, and then scrape off all the fur. He would then take out the deer's brain, and mix it into this disgusting looking (and smelling) paste, spread it all over the inside of the hide, and roll it up tight. I'm not sure how long you would have to leave it on there, or any of the details, but I remember helping to lace the deer hide onto the rack, and helping scrape the hide, and spreading on that muck.

I would send it to these guys. They do a great job. I send them all my deer backs and they come back as soft a leather. Cheap too.

East Coast Tannery 1-877-TAN-FURS or 215-257-9479

well i want it with the fur on, how much do you think it would cost?

I think it is about $56. It takes a little while but it really is beautiful when it is done. I have all the fur on mine as well, but the inside of the skin is still softer then leather. Call them they will help you out, and they do require any preperation. I send mine with the back of the fur covered with fat. All you do is freeze it and UPS ground ship it. I have all of mine draped over quilt stands.

A nice trophey of sorts that is not limited to huge bucks

How do you ship a raw deer hide to Philidelphia? Overnight? Packed in plastic or dry ice?

Freeze it and ground ship it. I know I questioned it as well. However I guess it is not a problem. they do ask you to roll it up, tie it, and put it in a plastic bag.

I found out about them by calling a taxidermist and they said basicilly I would have ou drop off your deer back, and I would package it and send it to these guys to do it. I guess a lot of people in the business use them.

I think it is about $56. It takes a little while but it really is beautiful when it is done. I have all the fur on mine as well, but the inside of the skin is still softer then leather. Call them they will help you out, and they do require any preperation. I send mine with the back of the fur covered with fat. All you do is freeze it and UPS ground ship it. I have all of mine draped over quilt stands.

A nice trophey of sorts that is not limited to huge bucks

sounds good

Back
Top Bottom