• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

tanto blades, anyone favor 'em?

greencobra

NES Member
i just basically discovered the tanto blade style. sure, been around forever, but i just bypassed them. i picked up an otf with a 3.5" tanto for unknown reasons but have just recently started to carry and use it. i love the damn thing. it was a budget blade, about 45 bucks, with 440 steel. nothing special but if you keep after the blade, it's as sharp as anything else. blade shape makes it very handy. and i think i've converted a couple of people. anyone else? hate it? love it? interested in your opinions and what do you have.

Mine is a 3.5 tanto. Kershaw
Like the utility, better than a drop point for random edc tasks.
Hate sharpening it. Which I do all the time.
It's that shitty 8cr Chinese steel.
Someone gave it to me, so I can't bitch all that much. If I lose it I'll get one with better steel.

Bought some a long time ago and quickly learned to hate them. Sharpening was a BITCH and they were always thicker than other styles. I think I have a folder with that type still. Haven't carried it in about 20 years.

At this point I wouldn't take one if it was free.

My current EDC is a Microtech Hera de with one edge serrated. Extremely useful blade design.

BTW, at this point I make an effort to only purchase my carry knives that are made in the US.

I have one of the smaller Ka Bar tanto style fixed blades. None of my knives see what you would really call heavy use, but I would think that blade style would hold up well to extreme demands.

CQC-7B-NW-TF.jpg

When I bought my first Emerson, I stopped buying other brands.

I could never quite figure out the reason for a tanto blade. I don’t know what the stub end is for other than to make sharpening a pita. 1/2 serrated drop point seems to be a good combo…if anyone has a use case for a tanto, I’m all ears..

I could never quite figure out the reason for a tanto blade. I don’t know what the stub end is for other than to make sharpening a pita. 1/2 serrated drop point seems to be a good combo…if anyone has a use case for a tanto, I’m all ears..
This. I tried them and never got the point. Pun intended.

I have one fixed and one folding with tanto blades and I do like them. As mentioned, not as easy to sharpen, but no issues using for utility.

I don’t remember why or when I tried a tanto, at least 15 years ago, but been carrying one since, a sog folder. Probably not the best quality knife around, but I don’t have time or money to bounce around trying different knives.
I also keep one in my fishing backpack and my hiking backpack, though not sure why. I always have my edc with me.

I have one fixed blade tanto. I dont really care for the blade. I’m in the half serrated drop point crowd

A few of my tantos.

Including the two 620’s

I had a cqc-7. Lost it at work years ago. Still sad!

Attachments

• IMG_8455.png
    IMG_8455.png
    8 MB · Views: 6
They do look cool to me, but I can't see a practical use for that style of blade and sharpening it would be a PITA compared to more standard blade shapes. I'll occasionally just pull the EDC out of my pocket for cleaning fish and game, and the tanto shape IMHO would be terrible for that.

The reverse tanto shape I like and it would be easier to sharpen than even your basic drop point. I don't have anything but might get one eventually.

images

I definitely prefer that a knife has a little belly on it. I don’t know what benefits a tango brings but they’re not worth giving that up for.

I’d say Tanto style blades on knives, as opposed to swords, are a decent fit for urban environment but not so much in the woods. Just like ammo, rifles, shoes, etc, each has its place depending on use.

I’d say Tanto style blades on knives, as opposed to swords, are a decent fit for urban environment but not so much in the woods. Just like ammo, rifles, shoes, etc, each has its place depending on use.
Stabby stab…

Reinforced tip.

The design (tanto) is more for stabbing than slicing.

I’d prefer a knife with a belly 1000% for hunting and day to day.

Stabby stab…

Reinforced tip.

The design (tanto) is more for stabbing than slicing.

I’d prefer a knife with a belly 1000% for hunting and day to day.
Exactly. Reinforced tip for puncturing holes in things, oil cans, ammo cans, food cans, heavy clothing, prying, breaching etc. The point on the bottom part of the tip where the flat of the blade ends can also be used to inflict deep wounds with a quick chopping, snapping motion.

Back
Top Bottom