Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

then you are either very lucky or got a great build, or both. i knew of 2 such builds done by people i personally knew and both choked constantly.
good to know that it is possible to have one that is able to function consistently.

For my two builds I learned a lot about the AR gas system. Between the differences in the pressure of 7.62x39 vs 5.56 and the various barrel length x gas port location x gas port sizes, you definitely need to put a little thought into an AR in x39. A 10.5 carbine length build is likely to be undergassed unless the barrel has a big old gas port.

But that’s not to say they can’t be made to run well, just means you either need to pay for a quality premade rifle or learn a bit about how they work and tune it/spec it yourself.

I will say that the major issue is magazines. C products defense duramag 28rd is the solution. Although I’d like to do another test on a virgin upper, as I have done a nice bit of enlarging to my feed ramps to make them place nice with ASC mags.

So are they a beginner friendly build? Maybe not. But they are a great learning experience and they run great now. I especially love the cost per round and then having people in a training class ask what you’re shooting when your target has bigger holes than the rest.

For my two builds I learned a lot about the AR gas system. Between the differences in the pressure of 7.62x39 vs 5.56 and the various barrel length x gas port location x gas port sizes, you definitely need to put a little thought into an AR in x39. A 10.5 carbine length build is likely to be undergassed unless the barrel has a big old gas port.

But that’s not to say they can’t be made to run well, just means you either need to pay for a quality premade rifle or learn a bit about how they work and tune it/spec it yourself.

I will say that the major issue is magazines. C products defense duramag 28rd is the solution. Although I’d like to do another test on a virgin upper, as I have done a nice bit of enlarging to my feed ramps to make them place nice with ASC mags.

So are they a beginner friendly build? Maybe not. But they are a great learning experience and they run great now. I especially love the cost per round and then having people in a training class ask what you’re shooting when your target has bigger holes than the rest.

Honestly, I think both AR9mm & AR39 builds require more thought and testing than a vanilla AR build. Both can work very well but you can't throw random parts at them and expect perfection.

I use ASC and believe it or not they are just fine. I had one single failure to feed the other day, 1.

Seeing IMI 9mm showing up from time to time. Have not seen this brand before. Is it any good?
IMI makes really good 9mm and 5.56x45. Have not tried any other flavors, but those 2 are GTG...

1611262055158.png 1611262075061.png

Here's a few reviews...

~ best 9mm ammo I've ever used, been shooting for over 25 years. great stuff if you can get it.
~ Used 600 rounds in my Springfield XDm and Beretta PX4 Storm compact. No misfires, jams etc. Clean. Would love to get some more.
~ I have gone through 1200 rounds so far not mis feed or mis fire.. I think the accuracy is good I have not gone beyond 75 feet. This was in a 9mm 1911 and a CZ75 SPO1. Great stuff
~ used 400 rounds so far in Springfield XD and Ruger sr9c. Ruger is new, breaking in. Not a single problem,

Last edited:
Holy crap! Ordered some of that Red Army steel yesterday. Just went to track it to see if I would get it tomorrow. Tracking said it was delivered this morning at 10am! Looked on the floor by my front door of the office, and it's sitting there already. Someone else must have signed for it when I was on the phone. Time warp shipping!

It's considered best if we don't post links to that site, out of concern that the MA AG office will start threatening them unless they stop shipping to MA.
I understand this sentiment but if the ag actually wanted to check she could have an intern just try and buy ammo at all major retailers for an afternoon and compile a list. Fairly simple.

Looks like the RAS 7.62x39 sold out at .42cpr (before tax). Hung in there for a while...
Good intermediate-range .30 Rifle Ammo. Great price when compared to the current 5.56nato prices. Will buy more...

Who Knew? A Guide to 7.62x39 Ammo

Last edited:
I understand this sentiment but if the ag actually wanted to check she could have an intern just try and buy ammo at all major retailers for an afternoon and compile a list. Fairly simple.

true, but interns generally have more interest fooling around than doing what their told and working hard. Now trolling around a gun forum s-posting and looking for dirt, that’s fun, not work.

I have three classes of internet sites that sell ammo to MA:

1. Sites that require a copy of your LTC and charge MA sales tax, such as TSUSA. Any site that falls into this category I think knows what the laws are and are not afraid of Maura and her minions. I’ll share these with pretty much any green member with some history over a PM.
2. Sites that require a copy of your LTC but don’t charge MA sales tax. These sites probably know what the law is but maybe don’t reach the $100,000 threshold of MA business to be required to collect sales tax. Since they don’t do that much business in MA, I keep them closer to the vest since they actually might not be on the AG’s radar. Will only share with people I know.
3. Sites that obey the federal law and don’t require anything. I keep these to myself.

There actually is a fourth class, the CMP. They require a bunch of stuff, but they’ll even ship an M1 Garand right to your front door.

Back
Top Bottom