The best build out

If taliban had ARs, they would have to revert to throwing rocks because rifles would stop working after 2 weeks.
the fact that an entire race of sheep herders can reliably use AKs speaks to the flatout superiority of non-AR designs when it comes to simplicity/reliability.

sorry if i offend any taliban or sheep herders who might read this.

14.5"+ than will do the trick.

What do you want? A 24" AR15 that weighs 10 pounds? [laugh]

If you have the money, buy parts from like JP Enterprises, or LMT, etc etc. thousands of dollars, but the nicest rifles on the planet.

I built a 16" AR with a Lothar Walther barrel (accurate) and a 1-4 scope that weighs 6.2 lbs. (5.2 lbs w/o optic)
This would make a great gun for this purpose.

Quality parts from quality vendors = quality gun.

I'd go with a light weight barrel with a pinned FSB that you can shave down if you want a longer rail. Ambi safety(like the BAD ASS), good ambi charging handle like the BCM or the Raptor, Geissele trigger of choice, VCAS sling, B5 stock. I'd also pick an optic and light + mount that are just as rugged/reliable as the rifle. Get some spare parts, good mags filled with good ammo, and take a carbine course with - you guessed it - a quality instructor.

OP in my stack of free shit that BCM sends with their parts(last upper included DVD, hat, bottle of Slip2000, stickers, posters, and a mouse pad [laugh]), I have a DVD by Panteao called Building a Carbine with Dean Caputo - if you want it I'll send it to you.

If you had to build a rifle, primarily of the AR platform, for bugging out/I'm leaving and not going to be returning home for a very long time, what parts and pcs would you use from a reliability stand point?

I've bought a couple and built a couple. Done a lot of back-and-forthing with parts, furniture, slings, scopes. My opinion, if I could only have one and I had to bug out with it, is to buy a quality rifle off the shelf from one of the mid-upper tier manufacturers. BCM, DD, Spikes, etc. I would do NOTHING to the internals. I would add a quick-adjust sling, a TLR-1 (for me this means no FSB because I want the light forward on the upper rail), and a quality red dot. My eyes are old, so I would also add a flip-away magnifier, but not everybody would need that.

Then I would go buy about 10 Pmags, half 30s and half 20s, and a couple thousand rounds of factory brass ammo, zero the scope and BUIS, shoot a thousand more rounds through it using all the mags, reload the mags and set it all aside ready to go.

Unfortunately I can't abide by my own plan because I like messing with them too much. [grin]

Stay away from the over priced ambi selectors like a bad ass.

$25 gets you a perfectly serviceable one from RRA. The same goes for a charging handle.

I'm left handed and love my ambi toys. However the LH charghing handle is useless on any gun that has a forward assist. TheFA gets in the way of rapidly grabbing the right side of the handle. A standard CH is much cheaper and just as fast.

Reliability and AR do not go together I would consider an sks and a 22lr or shootgun or a mosin. ARs are fun to shot but suck for reliabilty.

Yeah I said it! ARs arent the most reliable alittle dirt or sand or some hot laquer from cheap rounds and your looking at a failure. For the record I love my AR but have other guns that I would take before it. In a bug out situation last thing I want to do is clean my rifle every night. If the shtf ill take my sks and my mossberg 500. Simple rugged and non finicky guns are the key to survival KISS (keep it simple stupid) that my outlook.

Dude. Read up on modern AR15/M4/M16 rifles. They aren't your early Vietnam era jam-o-matics anymore.

https://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

First thing you do is not ask the government permission to build said rifle. Be a free man and build the damn thing. Don't bow down to your master and ask his permission. By that, I mean a gay ass tax stamp, which is code word for "registration!".

Ya know, the one thing everyone here is against, except when it is convenient for them?

Build a short little AR15 and mount an Aimpoint PRO.

i'm gonna petition NFA branch to have saturday hours.

wait_then_lol_gif.gif

I would just get a Daniel Defense 14.5" LW. You are going to spend more time carrying the gun than shooting it. So you want something light. Also something without proprietary parts, in case you lose a part. So no piston crap. And you would want it in a caliber that can be used for hunting and self defense, so no pistol caliber or heavy rifle calibers

This, or a Colt 6920.

Reliability and AR do not go together I would consider an sks and a 22lr or shootgun or a mosin. ARs are fun to shot but suck for reliabilty.

Go play in traffic.

First thing you do is not ask the government permission to build said rifle. Be a free man and build the damn thing. Don't bow down to your master and ask his permission. By that, I mean a gay ass tax stamp, which is code word for "registration!".

Ya know, the one thing everyone here is against, except when it is convenient for them?

You have a lot things to say about people playing with NFA toys, do you have a problem with someone in particular? Your rant posts about free manning it up and asking for permission are pretty lame dude.

I lol'd at this, hard.

#letmetakeaselfie

Last edited:
Long as it fits in the wheelbarrow what difference does it make? just bring extras in case it breaks

ZOMG.jpg

Comparing DMV Saturday hours to registering firearms, and thinking I'm so cool while I willingly bow down to my master is laughable. Everyone here wants the ATF abolished except when we need permission from them just to build a rifle, right???

Comparing DMV Saturday hours to registering firearms, and thinking I'm so cool while I willingly bow down to my master is laughable. Everyone here wants the ATF abolished except when we need permission from them just to build a rifle, right???

yup, that's it. entirely.

is it your personal mission to get on the bad side of literally everyone on this board, dude? the very people who helped you out when you got into hot water with some alphabet agencies? the very people who donated their own money to help you out with a lawyer? one of those people being the one you are speaking to right now, in fact?

what is it, man?

no, it's not over. if you're gonna make accusations, dude--back them up.

PM me if you'd like, but you opened this can of worms publicly, so let's chat about it.

Sounds like popcorn time. Let me grab a Yeungling and I'll be back.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

I just got through helping a CT applicant for a Pistol Permit something similar. He had what I'll call the "Mass attitude".

namely, "gosh, I hope they give me one".

I had to remind him that that was the wrong attitude (at least in CT where they still have to issue you a PP if you aren't a Prohibited person)

I made an analogy to getting a DL. You don't think "Oh gosh, I hope they renew my drivers license"

NO.

You understand that its a bureaucratic process. You put a form and money in one end, wait some time, and a license pops out the other end.

Thats exactly how the CT PP process works. I reminded him that he didn't need to agree to any extra-legal "additional requirments", like interviews or reference letters. Just do the DPS 799C and follow the instructions on the form.

Don

16" = sniping AR? LWRC's really do perform miracles [rofl]

Am I missing something?

Stop knit picking, For what i'd be using it for when the SHTF, its my all around AR. I'm not gonna to be able carry around a different rifle for every application when the SHTF. LWRC's are known for excellent accuracy and reliability, but thats obvious.

Last edited:
In his defense my snipey sniper rifle I use for sniping is 16"

20130521_190347_zps17ee9540.jpg

Mike

I've seen at least one reasonably scientific study showing that a 14-15" bbl generally gives the best accuracy in a 5.56

I think the major advantage of longer, heavier barrels is heat management and recoil mitigation.

If the S truly HTF, I'll have all my firearms at my disposal, because I have no need of going off of my property.

Back
Top Bottom