• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The dreaded 40 conundrum

Buy a .40, they're cheap and when the next panic inevitably hits it's the only autoloading round that stays on the shelves..

The last panic all that was left on shelves was 357 sig. One reason why I bought the G32. Plus a simple barrel change gives you 40. Another conversion barrel and few more small changes get you a 9mm.

That was then...Now.... I dont care much I reload them all and have plenty of components.

Last edited:
357Sig was supposed to be the super-round. A 357 in a semi-auto.

Then Glock came out with 45GAP to change the grip geometry.

I found the Sig round to be interesting and the GAP one to be really silly. I'm actually surprised people didn't embrace the Sig more than the Fo-Tee.

I agree that their is nothing wrong with 40. I prefer 9 but all the hate is just dumb. Make your choice and drive on with your life.

It's fun to piss on a caliber that is intentionally mediocre though. [rofl]

I used to have a whole bunch of the things (2 x P229, 1 x P2000, daily carry, a USPc .40 and a USP full .40, and the last one I owned was a G22 Gen4) they all worked fine, but about the only way I'd ever get another one is if I was going to shoot USPSA Limited-major or something like that, its the only cheap way to do that. Otherwise it's sorta useless.

Some day those old Smith and Sig steel guns in 40 are going to be worth $$ when the internet decides they are trendy again as collectibles.

Nope. Not now, not ever. .40s are so excessively overabundant (because of all the PDs dumping the old guns onto the secondary market) and dumped so much that will never happen. This actually isn't a bad thing because if you want you can pick one up for $100 less than a 9mm counterpart usually. Or more. Produces opportunities for flints.

-Mike

I'd say trade/sell/give the .40 away. The FBI has pretty much concluded that the current generation of 9mm is a better all around projectile.

No round is a manstopper all the time. Fast, repeatable, accurate rounds on target is what wins.

No round is a manstopper all the time.

iu

I can show you videos of someone getting hit with 12 gauge rounds, center mass, that if the person had a weapon, the shooter would be dead. Most of them are from Asian countries, the person shot probably weighs 130 lbs. For the cop haters here, it'd show what truly power hungry cops do to other humans.

No hate here.
Some of my best cops are friends... [smile]

It's fun to piss on a caliber that is intentionally mediocre though. [rofl]
-Mike

I didn't want to get into a caliber debate, but if you're referring to the .40, how is it "intentionally mediocre" in comparison to a 9mm when the overall conclusion is that it's shot placement that counts?

I didn't want to get into a caliber debate, but if you're referring to the .40, how is it "intentionally mediocre" in comparison to a 9mm when the overall conclusion is that it's shot placement that counts?

It isn't- Ballistics wise its "sufficient" - I was more poking fun at the design progeny of the cartridge.... it's one of the few intentionally designed to be weaker. There's a reason there's no +P .40....

-Mike

My Sig 226 in 40 suits me just fine... I see advantages to the cartridge in MA. Since we're limited to 10 in the mag, then the .40 has advantages over the 9mm in that you can use a bigger round while still fitting 10 in the mag.

The advantage the 9mm has over the .40 is mag capacity. But in MA that's mitigated. So I go up to the biggest round I can while still carrying 10 in the mag. Depending on the firearm, that's the .40. Some pistols in .45 can take 10+ in the mag, but I have smaller hands and pistols like that (Block 21) just don't fit me well..

Like all things in the firearm world, it's subjective. What works for one won't be the best for someone else. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the caliber generally speaking.

It isn't- Ballistics wise its "sufficient" - I was more poking fun at the design progeny of the cartridge.... it's one of the few intentionally designed to be weaker. There's a reason there's no +P .40....

-Mike

I'm glad that you prefaced it as being ballistically sufficient, which also holds true for the 9mm. However, there is a lot more to the .40 story than just saying that it was intentionally designed to be weaker.

I'm glad that you prefaced it as being ballistically sufficient, which also holds true for the 9mm. However, there is a lot more to the .40 story than just saying that it was intentionally designed to be weaker.

Not really. FBI had a knee jerk reaction to poor performing 9mm ammo, based on half assed wound ballistics science at the time. So they flailed about and went to 10mm Auto. Then when the form factor sucked (grip frames too big for many, particularly in doublestack guns) and people got too wuss like over it, and they wanted more capacity the .40 was birthed. And of course, half the non-fed LE agencies in america at the time would lap up the FBI's ball-sweat if it was offered on a plate, so tons of them followed like lemmings to adopt .40. Some of which perhaps at the time were still just getting off revolvers and the .357 magnum types perceived 9mm as being too weak, etc. Then 15 something years later everyone suddenly figured out the entire thing was a waste of time (particularly with better ballistics testing, and better ammunition) and most of these agencies gradually migrated back to 9mm or .45 ACP. The end. Ironically enough though the .40 did give birth to the .357 Sig, which at least was a purpose driven cartridge. (better intermediate barrier penetration with no deflection, something that .40 is absolutely terrible with, on average).

-Mike

My understanding is that it was designed So that more rounds could be carried than a .45.

It may be intentionally weaker than a 10mm, from some FBI standpoint or some crap. But most here agree its to powerful for small pistols. So they are talking out both sides of their mouth when they say it’s intentionally weak

Realistically if im going to shoot .40,though, id rather have a 357 Sig.

I know there is a lot of internet hate for 40cal, but if you want to do an 80% build this is a pretty good deal to get you started. I really like the one I built, been having a lot of fun with it. Yea, I know "but it's a 40".....

Home > Parts & Accessories > Factory Glock G22 Gen 4 .40 S&W Replacement Parts Kit - Used Condition
KIT-G22-G4.jpg

KIT-G22-G4_1_.jpg

KIT-G22-G4_2_.jpg

KIT-G22-G4_3_.jpg

KIT-G22-G4_4_.jpg

View Larger Image
Factory Glock G22 Gen 4 .40 S&W Replacement Parts Kit - Used Condition
Part Number: KIT-G22-G4 Manufacturer: Glock Manufacturer Part Number: PG2250201 UPC: 764503052019
Rating:
reviewstarsmallempty.png
reviewstarsmallempty.png
reviewstarsmallempty.png
reviewstarsmallempty.png
reviewstarsmallempty.png
0 Reviews
Price: $324.99
cfs_freeship_icon.png

Quantity:
Add to CartIn-Stock4

But in MA that's mitigated.

Not sure if serious. ESPECIALLY not for a P226. [laugh] Although your argument has more merit if you're joe newb and you bought it yesterday... prebans still aren't unicorns for those things, though. being "mitigated in MA" is a choice, not hard fact.

Like all things in the firearm world, it's subjective. What works for one won't be the best for someone else. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the caliber generally speaking.

The casehead support on the brass sucks, and the cartridge has almost no headroom for extra pressure, but this is a non issue if someone isn't retarded. Using 155 or 165gr loads buys you some breathing room. I used to carry 165s exclusively.

-Mike

I know there is a lot of internet hate for 40cal, but if you want to do an 80% build this is a pretty good deal to get you started. I really like the one I built, been having a lot of fun with it. Yea, I know "but it's a 40".....

Home > Parts & Accessories > Factory Glock G22 Gen 4 .40 S&W Replacement Parts Kit - Used Condition
KIT-G22-G4.jpg

KIT-G22-G4_1_.jpg

KIT-G22-G4_2_.jpg

KIT-G22-G4_3_.jpg

KIT-G22-G4_4_.jpg

View Larger Image
Factory Glock G22 Gen 4 .40 S&W Replacement Parts Kit - Used Condition
Part Number: KIT-G22-G4 Manufacturer: Glock Manufacturer Part Number: PG2250201 UPC: 764503052019
Rating:
reviewstarsmallempty.png
reviewstarsmallempty.png
reviewstarsmallempty.png
reviewstarsmallempty.png
reviewstarsmallempty.png
0 Reviews
Price: $324.99
cfs_freeship_icon.png

Quantity:
Add to CartIn-Stock4

Gen 4 guts and slide are a no go on a polymer80 frame. Hence why everyone is sold out of gen 3 20/21 slides, and 19/17 gen 3 slides sell out in days

Back
Top Bottom