The Liberty Training Rifle

That's it! Make sure you get 1.25" sling swivels for it - the 1" ones that come with some rifles won't fit.

yeh, i ordered the UM sling swivels for my ruger 10/22, put them on.... two days later the GI Sling came in from the appleseed people..... and now i need to order the 1.25" swivels.... ugh....

p.s. if anyone needs 1" sling swivels, lemme know, i'm selling a pair....

So I got the tech sights and sling in the mail already. Just ordered up my sling swivels, extra mags, and should have everything in the next 10 days.
I did not order anything else at this time (extended mag release or bolt/hammer) as I figure the sights and sling would be top priority for the upgrades required. Look forward to this project to be completed.

If you go digging around the rimfirecentral website, you'll find info on how to do the bolt release and hammer modifications yourself. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, I recommend against doing the hammer yourself, but buying the Volquartsen hammer/bolt release combo instead.

My sling was the last part to come in, ordered everything the same day.... They shipped mine postal so..... Don't hold your breath
:)

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Better than me. I ordered all my parts but forgot to correct the address. Swivel is sitting up in NH while everything else is assembled and ready down in RI. Soon it shall be ready.

My sling swivels just arrived and I'm still waiting for the sling I ordered from the appleseed store.

Took mine about 10 days from order to received... I am really just waiting on the sling swivels. Midway estimated 7/5/11 so I am just sitting on the build.

I now have a mostly-done LTR (tech sights, sling mounts and sling). I wound up taking it to a gunsmith to remove the front sight for the tech sights installation. I tried removing it myself but I was hitting it as hard as I was willing to and it still wouldn't budge. Took the gunsmith 2 minutes and they didn't charge me for it. Thanks, State Line Gun Shop!

I took it to the range yesterday and did a rough zeroing in (I don't have a proper bench rest, so I just did it from a sitting position leaning on the bench). Looking forward to attending an Appleseed and learning some good marksmanship.

I took it to the range yesterday and did a rough zeroing in (I don't have a proper bench rest, so I just did it from a sitting position leaning on the bench). Looking forward to attending an Appleseed and learning some good marksmanship.

Long as it's on the paper at 25 yards, you're fine. Part of the Appleseed consists of learning to zero your rifle.

I would really like to try out these Tech Sights some time soon before buying. Anybody just South of Worcester want to get together this weekend, possibly even Friday late afternoon? I'll buy you a beer after. I just don't want to buy the sights to only find out I should have gotten a scope instead (eyeglasses now, soon to need bifocals?). Thanks.

They're basically the same sights as on an M1 Garand or an M16A1 (or most any AR-15 with iron sights). If you have either of those, you're good to go.

The tsr100 sights have the two position rear peep..... Short range and long range..... The paperwork i received with 'em doesn't define the distances.... Anyone have a clue?

The tsr100 sights have the two position rear peep..... Short range and long range..... The paperwork i received with 'em doesn't define the distances.... Anyone have a clue?

ETA: one of the reviews on the tech-sights site says he uses one aperture at 50m and the other at 100m....
so, yeh.... go with that i guess....

ETA2:
emailed tech-sights support...

"...The way the short and long apertures work is this. If you zero at 50yds, using the shorter aperture, when you flip to the taller one, you will be very close to zeroed at 100yds. I am not sure how the secondary zero will be if you do a 25yd zero with the shorter aperture. My guess would be 25yds short and 50yds with the taller one." -Larry

i figured since the LTR and appleseed shoots are geared for beginners, this would be good beginner information to have.... :)

Last edited:
Got her done.. sling and tech sites

Pictures71111018.jpg

Pictures71111020.jpg

Pictures71111019.jpg

Pictures71111021.jpg

Pictures71111023.jpg

I will be there tomorrow and Wednesday lol. I may be able to do Sunday but money is tight, I have been doing all sorts of activities there :)

I will be there tomorrow and Wednesday lol. I may be able to do Sunday but money is tight, I have been doing all sorts of activities there :)

I'll also be there Wednesday and on Sunday to put my LTR through its paces. Look forward to meeting you and anyone else there!

If you haven't pre-registered on www.appleseedinfo.org for the shoot yet, please do so - if we don't have at least 15-20 pre-registered by Friday, we won't be able to get the Slush Lady to bring her lunch truck on Sunday. If there aren't enough shooters for her to sell to, it's not worth her while to come.

If you haven't pre-registered on www.appleseedinfo.org for the shoot yet, please do so - if we don't have at least 15-20 pre-registered by Friday, we won't be able to get the Slush Lady to bring her lunch truck on Sunday. If there aren't enough shooters for her to sell to, it's not worth her while to come.

Done! I assume when you say "Slush Lady" she sells delicious, cold slushies out of her truck.

Bought my very first rifle last week and quickly upgraded it to a LTR. I'm going to be attending the October 15-16 shoot in Harvard; I can't wait! [grin]

photo869a311855c5765bad.jpg

photo1be5d09115e7cd000b.jpg

Those equipment links in the first post need some updating! ;-)

Done. Y'know, Doug... you could have just PM'd me instead of posting here.

Turns out that while the part numbers are the same, part of the URL where it inputs the part number had changed. So they're all corrected now, and the prices are updated. Boy, some of that stuff has gone up, like the Volquartsen hammer set.

Wow, this is a great thread. I bought a Ruger 10/22 carbine recently and will be setting it up shortly. Hopefully I can get to an appleseed this month or the next!

Just starting a LTR build...

Is the 10/22 carbine model with synthetic stock different than the Hogue? Does it come with studs?
As far as the sights, do I want the TSR100 or TSR200?
As far as the sling, cotton or nylon?

I skipped a few posts in the middle, sorry if this was previously answered,
Thanks.

The carbine stock is just polymer/plastic. The hogue stock has a rubber(ized) finish, the comb is straighter, and the grip is bigger. The hogue stock comes with studs, the ruger synthetic stock does not (relatively simple to install yourself).

I went with the TSR100 sights, it's probably down to personal preference but others may have better input.

The sling is probably also down to personal preference. I went with cotton.

Back
Top Bottom