Ticks, ticks, and more ticks!!!!

Went in today to check my cameras. Only in there for about an hour, and came out with about a dozen ticks on me.

So, how is everybody keeping ticks off? I'm thinking Deet, but not sure what it smells like...

My Lab had a dozen on her the other day, it has been a battle with the dogs all week, Frontline day was yesterday, so please remember to check your furry companions too.

I just walked in to check the cards from my game cameras in the computer and felt one climbing up my arm. I never seem to have a problem with them but lately been finding a few. Thought they would be going away with the colder nights but I guess not cold enough.

Set the target up to check my pins yesterday, and came in with a deer tick. I was out there for about 15 minutes.

Just got in from bagging a pheasant. Doused myself with DEET before heading out, and had ten ticks on me. Still pulling them off the dogs, who were treated with frontline. I've removed at least seventy-five already.

It's November 10th, and I just pulled 6 off of me this morning when I was getting changed for work. 1 was already having lunch, and 1 was inside my sock below my ankle (I've never seen that before). I feel like they're still crawling all over me. Where the hell is the cold?

Got bit on Sunday, and the area is already infected. On Bactrim, which means I can't drink for the 10 day treatment cycle.
I think ticks (and mosquitos) are all the evidence I need that there is no god!

If there is a God, ticks and mosquitoes are proof that he/she/it has a sick sense of humor.

Also, the duck-billed platypus. WTF?

I recommend picking up a tick twister from your local pet store and keeping it in the car or your bag or whatever. It's only a couple of bucks and it gets them off/out of you cleanly. Infections usually happen when you inadvertantly squeeze them while trying to get them off, assuming they haven't been latched on for more than 24 hours and "overfed."

http://www.ticktwister.com/

not just recently but all this summer we noticed them on us the kids and the dog I got some serious spray and sprayed the whole yard and forest perimeter seemed to cut it down to almost none

I recommend picking up a tick twister from your local pet store and keeping it in the car or your bag or whatever. It's only a couple of bucks and it gets them off/out of you cleanly. Infections usually happen when you inadvertantly squeeze them while trying to get them off, assuming they haven't been latched on for more than 24 hours and "overfed."

http://www.ticktwister.com/

Thanks for that. I'll go try to find one after I get out of work today. This will cure my tick problem for sure. Either I get the thing, and it's very helpful in removing ticks, or I go spend money on warm weather gear and mother nature dumps 2 feet of snow on us next week because of it. Either way I win.

My buddy came over yesterday to hunt (just got laid off). He came back with 17 ticks. They are crazy this year.

Just found number 7. He was hiding well and patient. I got out of the woods 10 hours ago, and must have checked myself 3 or 4 times today. I caught it crawling around behind my ear. I think I'm going to have a hard time falling asleep tonight.

Thanks for that. I'll go try to find one after I get out of work today. This will cure my tick problem for sure. Either I get the thing, and it's very helpful in removing ticks, or I go spend money on warm weather gear and mother nature dumps 2 feet of snow on us next week because of it. Either way I win.

I got one at Petco.

I went out yesterday just to check my game camera. pulled two off my sleeve when I came in. Found three latched onto me this morning. One on my thigh, two on my side/back. They're BRUTAL this year.

Winter ticks and Ghost Moose

As long as daytime temperatures are above freezing, deer ticks will be active. And if you really want to feel creepy-crawly, check out the NH Wildlife Journal's article about Winter ticks and Ghost Moose.

When I was in the midwest, we always treated dogs with Frontline, and would sometimes find ticks crawling around on them or near their beds on occasion. But the ticks always seemed disoriented (twitchy and uncoordinated), so we assumed the Frontline was working, just not instantly fatal?

Went to go hop in the shower this morning and found one burried so deep in my back I barely noticed it. It's been 2 days since I was in the woods. I'm ready to pemethrin my whole house and car. This is getting a little annoying.

just found one crawling on my laptop screen after our morning walks.

They like the heat and light from the laptop, it attracts them from my pant legs I think.

Just a few more weeks and they'll be dormant for the winter, and deer ticks can't survive long inside a house unless attached to a host -- they desiccate in the low humidity. When I come in from the woods, I toss all my outerwear in the dryer for about 15 minutes to cook 'em, and if I'm feeling itchy, take a shower with pine tar soap (the soap also works for poison ivy).

Back
Top Bottom