Ticks, ticks, and more ticks!!!!

Thanks guys.
I took a ride to DSG tonight and picked up some of the Sawyer stuff. At least a dozen of them on me again today, a light day.
They are so bad this year it is not funny, it has been keeping me out of the woods more than I would like. The guy at the end of my street gave me permition to park at his house and hunt the high tension lines. After an hour of scouting around and seeing some decent sign, I wont go back. Over a hundred of the little suckers on me! I wanted to puke as I was sweeping them off my legs in clumps.
A friend of mine sat down behind a tree last week to catch a breather as he was doing a lot of walking/scouting. He then broke out his lighter and started to fry the little bastards, he got 18 crispy critters in a pile on his leg before he took a pic of them.

Use the Sawyer and forget about the ticks. Really, it works that well. I guarantee you that if you use the Sawyer and go back there you will not have a tick on you when you come out. It actually kills them so not only will you be tick free you will feel good about killing those bastards.

Bob

Use the Sawyer and forget about the ticks. Really, it works that well. I guarantee you that if you use the Sawyer and go back there you will not have a tick on you when you come out. It actually kills them so not only will you be tick free you will feel good about killing those bastards.

Bob
Thanks, I will try and go back to see what happens after I apply it to my stuff. *crosses fingers*

Just want to bump this, I was out at the Haystack observatory the other night and after a 15 minute walk I pulld almost 2 dozen of the little blood sucking bastids off of me. if we have a wet spring this is going to be a bad year.

Ya, I don't know about where you are but they didn't even seam to go away t all this winter. Just about every time I went in the woods I had some on me. With the lack of cold weather like you said they are probably going to be real bad this year.

Everyone should buckle up - it's going to be a long spring and summer. The winter haters got their wish - a mild winter. The end result is an abundance of ticks. We were selling DEET right through the end of deer season. It's now in amazing demand. Last night a customer was getting on my last nerve - continually floating around me while I was trying to assist a customer buying a kayak. He kept floating around and finally interrupted - asking "where's the tick repellant for clothing?"... Annoyed, I pointed out where it was and went on helping the customer. A few minutes later, he was back - literally circling around me. I was about to get very customer unfriendly on him, as he was wearing on my last nerve, but the sale was pretty much wrapped up and he apologetically asked me again where it was. I learned in talking to him, that he's trying to recover from Lyme disease he contracted in September, (laid up with it all winter) and when he came in from walking 50-feet to his compost bin yesterday, he had 7 deer ticks crawling on him and found an 8th and 9th embedded in his hairline that night...I now understand his anxiety... Stock up, wear appropriate clothing, repellant and for gods sake - buy tick hooks instead of tweezers, matches, fingernails or all the other old school, (but ineffective) methods out there... Cheap insurance to having the tick's last act of life to vomit into your body when you inadvertently pull his body away from his head...When you do that, you may as well say hello to Lyme disease...

Last edited:
this might be a stupid question but does DEET and other tick repellents scare off deer when your trying so hard to mask your scent ? WHat are some good tactics ?

that makes sense but it doesnt answer the question , does deet spook deer , to my own amazement i havent contracted lyme yet and dont want to, plus im still learning about playing the wind, also on the note of wind .. how much is wind a factor when your 25 -30 ft in the air in a climbing tree stand ?

the real answer is it depends, I have been upwind of deer stinking to high heaven of bug juice and the deer didn't seem to mind, I have also been upwind taking every means possible to cover my scent and have had deer spook. as for being that high up it will lessen your chances of getting caught due to currents rising and falling. I would rather not get Lyme than get a deer

My yellow lab was diagnosed with lyme disease this week. UGH...

Mine too. [angry] Freak'in things

When I was a kid I played in the woods all the time. I could count on one hand how many I (actually my mother) pulled off me. Now you take 3 steps into the wood-line and you have 3 on you............

Permethrin based sprays are the only way to go. Permethrin kills ticks DEET does not.

I have had great success with Sawyers sprays that contain .5% permethrin for years. I have been using a .2% flea, bedbug, and tick spray and found it equally effective. The difference is that you can buy a gallon at the depot for the same price you pay for a spray bomb of Sawyers.

Regardless of which I use my clothing gets washed in scent free soap before I wear it and I still kill my share of deer.

Bob

Everyone should buckle up - it's going to be a long spring and summer. The winter haters got their wish - a mild winter. The end result is an abundance of ticks. We were selling DEET right through the end of deer season. It's now in amazing demand. Last night a customer was getting on my last nerve - continually floating around me while I was trying to assist a customer buying a kayak. He kept floating around and finally interrupted - asking "where's the tick repellant for clothing?"... Annoyed, I pointed out where it was and went on helping the customer. A few minutes later, he was back - literally circling around me. I was about to get very customer unfriendly on him, as he was wearing on my last nerve, but the sale was pretty much wrapped up and he apologetically asked me again where it was. I learned in talking to him, that he's trying to recover from Lyme disease he contracted in September, (laid up with it all winter) and when he came in from walking 50-feet to his compost bin yesterday, he had 7 deer ticks crawling on him and found an 8th and 9th embedded in his hairline that night...I now understand his anxiety... Stock up, wear appropriate clothing, repellant and for gods sake - buy tick hooks instead of tweezers, matches, fingernails or all the other old school, (but ineffective) methods out there... Cheap insurance to having the tick's last act of life to vomit into your body when you inadvertently pull his body away from his head...When you do that, you may as well say hello to Lyme disease...

I thought the problem with the head is that it can get infected. Doesn't lime disease come from their stomach? (or something like that)

My brother in law just pulled 2 off my nephew. He had 2 crawling on himself and our friend found one on him after they all went mountain biking. Holy crap

Is there a name of the .2% stuff?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It has in big letters on it Fea, bedbug, and tick on it. I think that it is made by ortho. Just look at the ingredients list and make sure that it has .2% permethrin in it and nothing else. I had heard that you can find higher than .5% and dilute it but I have not found any yet and the .2% is doing the job.

Bob

I found some yard spray that is 2.5% forgot the name and some Terro stuff that is 9% but that was $30 a quart, I suppose if I could makke a 5 gallon bucket full of the stuff it would be the least expensive way to go

ETA avoid peanut butter and bananas if you plan on going out in the woods

I hear the people that shower don't get ticks. You guy just need to shower more ofter [smile]

disclaimer: That is not true.

I thought the problem with the head is that it can get infected. Doesn't lime disease come from their stomach? (or something like that)

It does..When the tick is being traumatized, its final act is to empty their stomach contents into the wound...The reason tick hooks work so well, is that it slides in behind the tick, supports the head and when you give it a 1/4 turn and pull the tick pops out intact.

Permethrin is also HIGHLY toxic to cats

Permethrin kills the ticks, but is also highly toxic to cats; Fipronil is slightly safer for cats, snakes, and birds of prey (see below).

jefftk said:
...blame fluctuations in acorns and mouse populations, not the mild winter

One more reason to hate rodents.

I try to only poison mice inside the house, since I want to keep the local cat, snake and owl population healthy. When not putting out poison, some people will scatter fipronil-treated cotton balls around the edge of the yard for mice to use as bedding; rather than killing all the mice in the great outdoors, kill the ticks that feed on them!

Back
Top Bottom