Ticks, ticks, and more ticks!!!!

This is what I used last year, works great!! After being covered with ticks scouting, I sprayed my hunting cloths and a set of cloths I would go in the woods with and I had one tick on my hand the entire time spent in the woods.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001ANQVYU

I absolutely agree that the Sawyer stuff works great but I have found that a .2% solution is just as effective and a lot cheaper.

A gallon of the Hotshot Bedbug & Flea killer is .2% Permethrin which you can pick up at Home Depot for about $9.00 PER GALLON. I treat my clothing once a month and it is just as effective; just a heck of a lot cheaper. You could also buy something that has a stronger concentration and dilute it to the same percentage.

Bob

Please don't become a cat thread, please don't become a cat thread, please don't become a cat thread.

catfinger.gif

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.

You know, the strange thing is that I've never really took notice to how bad the ticks really are until last year.
Now I've had my share of ticks on my kids, dogs and myself, but nothing has been like last year...

I think this season is going to be ridiculous with ticks and skeeters and such. We never even had a Winter!

ETA: been said already. :)

I'm about to go frisbee golfing so I think I'll stop at Dick's on the way and grab some of that Sawyer shit.

Last edited:
Permethrin kills the ticks, but is also highly toxic to cats; Fipronil is slightly safer for cats, snakes, and birds of prey (see below).

One more reason to hate rodents.

I try to only poison mice inside the house, since I want to keep the local cat, snake and owl population healthy. When not putting out poison, some people will scatter fipronil-treated cotton balls around the edge of the yard for mice to use as bedding; rather than killing all the mice in the great outdoors, kill the ticks that feed on them!

why would you want to keep the local cat population healthy?

F*** cats.

Walked about 100 yards into the woods today, looked down and brushed off the ticks. Turned around and went back to my truck, took this pic real quick, and then proceeded to strip down and get them all off before I high tailed it home and into the shower. This was about an hour ago, both legs all around like this.

photobucket-2592-1333483995232.jpg

Walked about 100 yards into the woods today, looked down and brushed off the ticks. Turned around and went back to my truck, took this pic real quick, and then proceeded to strip down and get them all off before I high tailed it home and into the shower. This was about an hour ago, both legs all around like this.

That...is crazy.

disgusting. I'd be scrubbing my skin raw with lava soap in the shower if that was my leg.
It was all I could do to get that one pic off without loosing it. I'm done in the woods this year, it's fishing season now anyway. The boat and beach will be the places for me this year.

I spent 4 hours in the woods this afternoon checking a cam. Not a single tick thanks to pemethrin.

Bob

a Big ol bag of Spectracide on the lawn will keep them nasty critters gone for 3+ months. Fleas, grubs, ants, and about anything in the insect world except black widow and brown recluse will die.
Did that about 2 weeks ago. I go around the foundation with Ortho home defense as well.
Doesn't do much good in the woods however. Need some controlled burns or something? Would that get them, or would they just retreat to the ground?

I did buy some of that, I just need to dedicate an outfit to spray. It seems like pretty harsh stuff.

I have been using a .2% solution that I buy by the gallon at the depot instead of the .5% Sawyer brand. I re-treat my clothing once a month and it has been just as effective for me. 1 gallon costs as much as once spray can of the Sawyer.

I also spray the garage floor if I am going to hang a deer in there. My wife usually parks in the garage and if she got a tick on her I would be hanging next to the deer.

Bob

That's the Sawyer, I'm curious about the lawn treatment HH uses on his clothes.

I honestly haven't really paid attention. I wear my treated clothing fishing, in the woods, and working around the yard. I would say around 6 times a month give or take. I treat then the first week of the month religiously and I really don't worry too much about it.

Bob

I bought a can of the Sawyer stuff but haven't used it yet. I spent about 4.5 hours, 10+ miles hiking through the woods in several different trails in 3 different towns yesterday and didn't find one tick on me. Better safe than sorry though so I'll be spraying down my Turkey hunting clothing within the next few weeks before I go sit under a tree for hours on end.

Back
Top Bottom