Tomorrow in MA (shotgun-deer)

JonJ

NES Member
Who in Massachusetts is planning on hitting the woods tomorrow morning? If it doesn't rain, I'll be out with my Saiga 12. I'll take a stand and see what all the other guys drive my way.

I'm sure I'll be busy the next few evenings at home. I butcher deer out of the house to bring in a little extra money for the family. I did 28 deer over the course of archery season. No big bruisers yet, but a few good ones in the 150 lb. range. Did a 130 lb. doe the other night. Good luck everyone.

Lots of action today at the Wildlife Management Area in Norton, and trucks and cars pulled off the road all over town.

30+ deer hit by cars last year, 20+ taken from the WMA, more off 495.

Even in the rain it was busy.

I stay away from the WMA though,... too many YAHOOS. Saw one guy there one year hunting with a Tec 9. City boys come to the big woods!!!

The gang backed out this morning. They complained of rain but I think they were "tired" from last nights football. I'll be going out tomorrow morning.

The gang backed out this morning. They complained of rain but I think they were "tired" from last nights football. I'll be going out tomorrow morning.

Wimps, I went to the game, stayed until the end (how could you leave early?), got two hours of sleep and met the crew at 5:30 in Plymouth and hunted hard all day. And to top it all off was soaked and we have no deer hanging. I can't wait for tomorrrow.

How are the deer in your area. When I hunted out at Quabbin the deer were infested
with ticks which turned me off big time. I quit hunting Mass at that time and due to
illness didn't get up to Vt this year for the deer season. I thought that I might go out
in Mass toward the end of the week.

I helped an old man load up a deer into his pickup truck while I was out riding Beartown during bow season. It was a beautiful 5-pointer which was loaded with more ticks than I cold count - five of which bailed off and tried to find a home on me. We're loaded with deer ticks out here. Just a short walk into the tall grass will yield many riders.....

I hunted for several years, without success. I'm skipping this year -- I've got a few more pieces and parts on me that aren't working as designed...

Success

Yesterday was a friend of mine's 85th birthday. He hunted with my grandfather 60+ years ago, and has hunted with my uncle ever since. He still hunts, fishes, and clams regularly, and took a few pheasant over my dogs this year.

Today, we went deer hunting......
Around 11:30 I heard bang, bang, and since we hadn't seen any other hunters, I figured it had to be someone in our party. I circled back to where the shots came from and sure enough....

Lenny.jpg

His first deer in about 10 years. I dragged it out for him and snapped the crappy pic with my cell phone. I think he still has an ear to ear grin.

Congratulations to a true gentleman! Lenny!!!

I'll be out Saturday. Set up a stand last Saturday on the edge the Douglas State Forest. I am hoping the herds of hunters that come in off the main roads will push them into me instead of the other way around - which is how it has been the last few years. A lot of guys owe me a thanks.

Anyone else in an area where the beavers have taken over? Holy shit, they are amazing. Totally wrecking the pond/woodland though.

Anyone else in an area where the beavers have taken over? Holy shit, they are amazing. Totally wrecking the pond/woodland though.

A direct result of the anti-trapping initiative a few years ago. Unintended Consequences.
Enjoy the pain of the morons that voted for the elimination of the only successful population
control method (trapping) for Beavers and other out of control species.

A direct result of the anti-trapping initiative a few years ago. Unintended Consequences.
Enjoy the pain of the morons that voted for the elimination of the only successful population
control method (trapping) for Beavers and other out of control species.

On a small pond/swamp that I hunt I could have counted ~300 trees that were downed by beavers or the trunks half chewed up (not counting the 200yd dam that now divides the pond and filled in the swamp where the deer liked to hide). And three years ago they were not there at all. Most of which not used either, they are just lying there. Like they get bored with the tree and move to another one. I was kind of disgusted by it.

The 85-year old success story above it just AWESOME!

Yesterday was a friend of mine's 85th birthday. He hunted with my grandfather 60+ years ago, and has hunted with my uncle ever since. He still hunts, fishes, and clams regularly, and took a few pheasant over my dogs this year.

Around 11:30 I heard bang, bang, and since we hadn't seen any other hunters, I figured it had to be someone in our party. I circled back to where the shots came from and sure enough....

Lenny.jpg

His first deer in about 10 years. I dragged it out for him and snapped the crappy pic with my cell phone. I think he still has an ear to ear grin.

I was fortunate enough to run into him a few times. Great guy. Pass along my congrats!

Before the trapping ban, this area had a stream that you could literally step over without getting your feet wet. After the beavers moved in en masse it is now about 100 yds wide by 600 yds long:

CranePond.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...70.994586&spn=0.003765,0.007231&t=h&z=17&om=1

People upstream have had septic systems fail, basements flood, and trees die. Town has had to build costly culverts and "beaver deceivers". All due to an overpopulation of rodents! Just one more reason to love the politics in Mass!.

That is so cool!

I heard a rumor and it is strictly that, that the state has been secretly blowing up some of the dams

I think they have to.

There is one in Oxford on my way into work you can see when driving by. The beavers are about 90% of the way across the river. When they complete it it is going to flood out several houses and the road. In theory could back up half the town. It is a legit river about 30-40' wide. Some official-looking people were looking at last week. I have had my eye on it every day for weeks.

There is a process (albeit cumbersome) whereby the dams can be removed and the beavers killed. There's no secret about it.

I would be very surprised if state employees were bypassing the process, since the prime directive for any state or municipal employee is "Thou shalt not endanger thy pension!"

it could take years to get traditonal trapping back in MA..its sad how so many of these people are buying into this anti trapping horseshit. keep your god damn dogs on leash and you kids in your sight if you dont want them getting into the traps.

Last edited:
Left the house at 6 this morning and met up with 3 other guys. By 7:30 one of the guys got a 5 point buck. That shot ended up spooking a buck and doe in the area. One of the other guys got a sot off on the running doe but missed.
Not a bad morning. A little chilly and windy but it could have been worse.

Back
Top Bottom