• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ultimate SHTF rifle???

They 'don't'. But the washout in daytime is pretty extreme. This from using some pretty high end .gov stuff.
When you say washout, do you mean as the ambient gets closer to the temp of.... "targets" its harder to pick out? Which is to say, you need a certain temperature gradient to show well?

Oh shucks, don't worry.

I'm sure Marsha wont "interoperate" your full auto trigger as a MG.

She goes by the book and does not interoperate the law as she sees fit.

While you are in PMITA Prison you can always interoperate mayo packets as KY liquid lube. (silicone free)
why is it that you consistently have the worst hot takes on the page?

When you say washout, do you mean as the ambient gets closer to the temp of.... "targets" its harder to pick out? Which is to say, you need a certain temperature gradient to show well?
Yeah, it's all 'white' or 'black'. You can still see stuff moving, but it's not as dramatic as at night when the temps change.

Still think a Sub2000 gen2 would work the best. A "semi-automatic assault weapon" that can be deployed as a sheepDAWG weapon and then converted to hidey mode for storage when you wanna blend in as SHEEPLE, just toss it in a Fjallraven or Patagonia backpack. Midwest flip optic mount you get yourself a red dot and a quick detach lug suppressor mount with ninja deadly and stealth silencers on it in seconds.

View: https://youtu.be/J_aCdGOXVeY?t=652

Impressive idea

Bullpups definitely have benefits. But there are reasons why countries using bullpups as standard issue rifles have SOF who choose to use the M4 instead.

16” does give you more velocity of course, but it’s not an extreme difference in range for the expansion/fragmentation of the bullets. 11.5” still gives you effective terminal ballistics at distances that cover 95%+ of gunfight ranges. Okay, I made up that percentage, but it might be higher.

11.5”16”
55gr M193100 yards150 yards
62/70gr TSX250 yards300 yards
77gr TMK275 yards350 yards

Don’t use mid-century FMJ and you’ll have great effective range even out of an 11.5”. Even with M193, an 11.5” will still get you reliable fragmentation past any reasonable defensive situation.

And past that, the bullet doesn’t suddenly drop from the sky. Poke a hole in the vitals or CNS somewhere and the guy is done, 11.5” or 16”. Poke a hole elsewhere and he likely won’t continue to close that 100+ yard gap to get you.
Good points. Another thing to keep in mind is armored enemies . An M193 coming out of a 16-18 inch barrel is going to pierce level 3 plates in home-invasion range .

Still think a Sub2000 gen2 would work the best. A "semi-automatic assault weapon" that can be deployed as a sheepDAWG weapon and then converted to hidey mode for storage when you wanna blend in as SHEEPLE, just toss it in a Fjallraven or Patagonia backpack. Midwest flip optic mount you get yourself a red dot and a quick detach lug suppressor mount with ninja deadly and stealth silencers on it in seconds.

View: https://youtu.be/J_aCdGOXVeY?t=652

If it were pcc only, I'd rather have one or both of my cx4 storms.
And figure out how to have a fun switch.

View: https://youtu.be/j9yLPTfIqJE

Last edited:
Fair enough…. If I expect to actually engage in combat with mobs of people, I’ll take the AR. If I think I will have to survive off the land and hunt anything, it’s the 12ga. Still might just be the 12ga either way

I forgot in SHTF, doesn't have to be MA legal anymore. I prefer the MP5K. In the meantime, Keltec designed a brilliant beater carbine.

View attachment 733086
See, if had a thought about this the other day.
Damn near every pcc gets shit on because its not a rifle caliber.

But the one gun that always gets a pass is the mp5. I'm sure the mp7 would get the same treatment if it were available. I understand why.
But at the same time I'm starting to have a hate for it. Because when the mp5 is king, everything else in its category is shit.
Even though its the same round or better.

See, if had a thought about this the other day.
Damn near every pcc gets shit on because its not a rifle caliber.

But the one gun that always gets a pass is the mp5. I'm sure the mp7 would get the same treatment if it were available. I understand why.
But at the same time I'm starting to have a hate for it. Because when the mp5 is king, everything else in its category is shit.
Even though its the same round or better.
MP7 is terrible. Okay, that’s hyperbole and second hand info. But it only has a following because it’s forbidden fruit. It can have AP rounds and is more compact than an MP5, but that’s where the advantages end.

The MP5 has been so successful, in part, because it is so controllable on full auto and is very quiet as an SD.

As a semi-auto, the MP5-clone is not much better than any other 9mm carbine.

But I think PCCs are underestimated. They allow easy shot placement and have much lower sound and overpressure than a rifle. Take advantage of the shot placement and it won’t matter that you don’t have a permanent stretch cavity. T-box shots are lights out. Or, just look at the messed up “defensive” shooting a couple years ago where a guy trying to see his kids at his ex’s house (who were his that weekend) got shot with one round to the chest from a Ruger PC Carbine. He was sadly gone in a moment. There’s a video, but I don’t care to dig it up.

There are good reasons why rifle caliber carbines have mostly replaced PCCs, but that doesn’t make PCCs bad.
I’d love to see some ballistics gel testing with the LeHigh 68gr +P defender ammo from a PCC. The Xtreme defenders do better the more velocity they have, and I bet the 68gr from a 16” barrel would be screaming.

MP7 is terrible. Okay, that’s hyperbole and second hand info. But it only has a following because it’s forbidden fruit. It can have AP rounds and is more compact than an MP5, but that’s where the advantages end.

The MP5 has been so successful, in part, because it is so controllable on full auto and is very quiet as an SD.

But I think PCCs are underestimated. They allow easy shot placement and have much lower sound and overpressure than a rifle. Take advantage of the shot placement and it won’t matter that you don’t have a permanent stretch cavity. T-box shots are lights out. Or, just look at the messed up “defensive” shooting a couple years ago where a guy trying to see his kids at his ex’s house (who were his that weekend) got shot with one round to the chest from a Ruger PC Carbine. He was sadly gone in a moment. There’s a video, but I don’t care to dig it up.

There are good reasons why rifle caliber carbines have mostly replaced PCCs, but that doesn’t make PCCs bad.
I’d love to see some ballistics gel testing with the LeHigh 68gr +P defender ammo from a PCC. The Xtreme defenders do better the more velocity they have, and I bet the 68gr from a 16” barrel would be screaming.

Yeah doesn't 9mm 124 gr +P out of a 16 inch barrel reach almost .357 power?

View: https://youtu.be/f-k8upN-VtU

Thanks. All the ones I’d seen before were the 90gr or 68gr from a pistol.

Caveat: Gel doesn’t tear the same as living tissues. Gel tests are good for measuring penetration consistently. And clear gel generally is penetrated deeper than natural gel. That said, it does look like 68gr from a 16” will overpenetrate through a target. It doesn’t have enough fluting to stop in time, as it’s likely designed for pistol barrel lengths. Good to know.

Thanks. All the ones I’d seen before were the 90gr or 68gr from a pistol.

Caveat: Gel doesn’t tear the same as living tissues. Gel tests are good for measuring penetration consistently. And clear gel generally is penetrated deeper than natural gel. That said, it does look like 68gr from a 16” will overpenetrate through a target. It doesn’t have enough fluting to stop in time, as it’s likely designed for pistol barrel lengths. Good to know.
My understanding is that 9mm out of a rifle length barrel can over-expand, basically the petals can rip themselves off. You'd have to do your google's and figure out what loads actually work well.

____

Ultimate shtf gun/rifle for me is a backpackable carbine, preferably in rifle caliber.

My understanding is that 9mm out of a rifle length barrel can over-expand, basically the petals can rip themselves off. You'd have to do your google's and figure out what loads actually work well.

____

Ultimate shtf gun/rifle for me is a backpackable carbine, preferably in rifle caliber.
Yeah. The LeHigh Xtreme Defender bullets are solid copper with flutes though. So they don’t deform.

However, the flutes are designed with particular curves to get specific penetration distances. They’re not too velocity dependent, but I guess 16” is just a little too much.

They are extremely barrier blind and will get precise penetration in gel/tissue nearly without regard to the initial barrier material they penetrated. Fabric doesn’t gum them up. Wood and sheet metal also not an issue. I don’t recall how glass works against them. I believe glass does deform the copper a little.

They corkscrew and tumble like a mofo though.
That video doesnt do it 100% justice.
I've seen other vids where they tear massively
Gel is deceptive. The tearing you see in gel isn’t indicative of what would happen in living tissue.

But, there is a possibility that the fluting does redirect fluid to a point where it causes tissue damage. It’s been shown to do so in dead tissue, but there hasn’t been enough formal testing in living tissue. I do know hunters who use the bullets in lever guns for hunting that are quite impressed with the results.

Back
Top Bottom