Votes: 281 49.4%
  • I would not but must in order to work - or other requirement

Votes: 44 7.7%
  • I will of my own volition

Votes: 219 38.5%
  • I will AND it is required of me for work - or other reason

Votes: 25 4.4%

• Total voters
This is why we need to balance our risk of covid with the potential risk of the vaccine when deciding whether or not to take it.

Every choice has risks.

My 80 year old parents - emphysema, COPD, risk of death from covid is great. Obviously take it as soon as possible. Since the risk of the vaccine is most likely less than the risk of the disease.

My 10 year old child - very healthy, NOT A SINGLE DEATH from Covid in MA among the age 0-19 age group. I will put off having her vaccinated as long as possible. Conversely, because her risk of death from Covid is nearly zero and the risk from the vaccine is unknown, but probably greater than zero.

I'm a 50ish year old in good shape with no comorbidities. I'll probably wait a few months, just to see if anything horrendous happens and re-evaluate then.

Fortunately. (or unfortunately depending on your view), they haven't tested the vaccines on kids under 12, so they won't offer it to your 10 year old for months, maybe a year.

My kids are safe being under 10. I'd be more worried about my kids getting it than myself.

My opinion is that while the vaccine is probably pretty safe, we don't know if it works long term, or if it will accomodate virus mutations. So the government is spending billions on something that may not work. But that's true of most things the government does, so whatever.

This is why we need to balance our risk of covid with the potential risk of the vaccine when deciding whether or not to take it.

Every choice has risks.

My 80 year old parents - emphysema, COPD, risk of death from covid is great. Obviously take it as soon as possible. Since the risk of the vaccine is most likely less than the risk of the disease.

My 10 year old child - very healthy, NOT A SINGLE DEATH from Covid in MA among the age 0-19 age group. I will put off having her vaccinated as long as possible. Conversely, because her risk of death from Covid is nearly zero and the risk from the vaccine is unknown, but probably greater than zero.

I'm a 50ish year old in good shape with no comorbidities. I'll probably wait a few months, just to see if anything horrendous happens and re-evaluate then.

thats my plan as well with my family dynamics the same as yours. We 50ish wouldn't' get the vaccine until at least April anyway unless a front line responder or health care worker.

I'll probably wait a few months, just to see if anything horrendous happens and re-evaluate then.
Unless you're in certain groups that are first in line, you'll be waiting a few months regardless.
Some sources are saying March for general population, I believe Fauci said mid-late April timeline.

You seem to have a good process down for risk assessment, though.

Every choice has risks.

Very cogent and thought out response. You've summarized some of my thoughts more succinctly than I could have.

I'm more concerned with schools mandating vaccinations on something that hasn't been tested for even a year. What are the long term affects in 10 years, or all the autoimmune concerns.

My 74 year old father, I don't think he's concerned about some autoimmune disease for the next X years of his life. Could die tomorrow of a heart attack for all we know.

Different equation for a kid that has, hopefully, 80+ years left.

Fortunately. (or unfortunately depending on your view), they haven't tested the vaccines on kids under 12, so they won't offer it to your 10 year old for months, maybe a year.

My kids are safe being under 10. I'd be more worried about my kids getting it than myself.

My opinion is that while the vaccine is probably pretty safe, we don't know if it works long term, or if it will accomodate virus mutations. So the government is spending billions on something that may not work. But that's true of most things the government does, so whatever.

Most likely we will be forced to vaccinate our kids by September. At least if we don't want to home school them.

more BS

"A spokesperson for AstraZeneca confirmed to the AP that the company does not use MRC-5 cells in the development of its vaccine. "

Whatever it takes to sell!

Under the age of 70, the recovery rate is 99.8% when you have the virus (CDC numbers). Without the virus, the survival rate is basically 100%. I think I'll take my chances with my immune system than some random makeshift substances injected in me.

Most likely we will be forced to vaccinate our kids by September. At least if we don't want to home school them.

They will not force the vaccine on any kid below 12, since they haven't tested it on them. Even kids 12-17 may not get it any time soon since testing on that age group is still ongoing.

Oh, I see you said Sept - that's possible but by then we'll have 9 months of vaccine data so it's a different story.

"A spokesperson for AstraZeneca confirmed to the AP that the company does not use MRC-5 cells in the development of its vaccine. "

Whatever it takes to sell!

Under the age of 70, the recovery rate is 99.8% when you have the virus (CDC numbers). Without the virus, the survival rate is basically 100%. I think I'll take my chances with my immune system than some random makeshift substances injected in me.
Every site I find talking about "the CDC released the recovery rate of age brackets" Actually links to A CDC release on "Covid 19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios" They are Scenarios for health care officials and governments who use mathematical modeling. They are not Official statistics, In fact the cdc even clearly states the numbers "Are not predictions of the expected effects of COVID-19."

They go on to say that the fatality rates (which sites are inverting to get the "recovery rate") are from "Estimation of SARS-CoV-2 mortality during the early stages of an epidemic: a modeling study in Hubei, China, and six regions in Europe. PLoS medicine, 17(7), p.e1003189. Hauser et al. produced estimates of IFR for 10-year age bands from 0 to 80+ year old for 6 regions in Europe".

So these are seemingly numbers from scenarios based on estimates from a modeling study, that someone didnt read and turned into a news story about a recovery rate. (note, this is a dig at the "news" sites, not at you.)

Want to work? ........ Get the shot... You can't make this BS up...Yeah it's CNN get over it.

In U.S. labor law, at-will employment is an employer's ability to dismiss an employee for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning,[1] as long as the reason is not illegal (e.g. firing because of the employee's race, religion or sexuality). When an employee is acknowledged as being hired "at will," courts deny the employee any claim for loss resulting from the dismissal. The rule is justified by its proponents on the basis that an employee may be similarly entitled to leave his or her job without reason or warning.[2] The practice is seen as unjust by those who view the employment relationship as characterized by inequality of bargaining power.[3]

Want to work? ........ Get the shot... You can't make this BS up...Yeah it's CNN get over it.

When half their employees say thanks no thanks they will flip, unless they are being paid to push vaxx even at a business loss. Posted the link last week some huge health employer in PA with almost 100,000 employees has said no covid vaccine requirement. Curious to see what 'big health inc.' in Boston does. Biggest clusters of anti-vaxxers are rich liberal cities.

So half the people here would sacrifice their ability to make a living to avoid getting this vaccine? I admit I would have to be forced to get it, but I’m not going to volunteer myself and my family to starve to death in what will probably be a pretty bad job market for a couple years.

No joke. My company is already hinting that proof of vaccination will be required before coming back to the office. We WILL be coming back to the office, so the writing is on the wall as to whether I get vaccinated or not. Will hold out as long as possible though.

So half the people here would sacrifice their ability to make a living to avoid getting this vaccine? I admit I would have to be forced to get it, but I’m not going to volunteer myself and my family to starve to death in what will probably be a pretty bad job market for a couple years.
To me your opinion looks stupid. Just my take. Health over wealth. Health is wealth. What else are you willing to do to keep your job? They will have people like you blowing guys at their next corporate diversity training orgy.

Nope. I had almost three decades of mandatory shots, no need to get this one. I am far from an antivaxxer, but with the way this thing was rushed through for something that really isn't that dangerous is making me stay away.

*Didn't read the thread, but I'm sure there are some comments about side effects, etc. The big one folks are screeching about on FB seems to be bells palsey. Not impressed with the side effect screaming. All medicine provides some risk of side effect-some good, some bad.

Getting it Friday. Obviously everyone has to consider the risk/benefit. I have a lot of contact with my elderly parents and would not want to infect them.
Unfortunately there is no guarantee that it will work and be safe for you and while you think you're safe you very well may be infecting others.

I probably will. Main reason is even though Im only 41 and in good shape and health I've had a couple of tough fights with pneumonia so I feel I may have a hard time with covid if I get it. Also I've gone from essential worker to back of the bus in a matter of 6 months so many more people will get it before me. Hopefully nothing bad happens to them but at least I get to see many people test it out first. I think realistically I'm looking around May or June 2021 as the earliest option.

I been taking the flu shot for over 20 years, got the hep shots at work and other shit my mother got me when I was a kid back in the 70’s. This one I’m hesitant about taking so not sure what my answer is. I do think that Heath insurance companies and hospitals will make it tough for people to get appointments if they refuse the shot. IDK the way I see it is if people get the shot they shouldn’t be concerned about the ones that didn’t correct? They would be immune?

I would get it tomorrow if it was available to me. I am 70 and have at least one maybe two mitagating factors. I don't think it will be available to me for another three month I would take it now if I could. I am not afraid of a shot in the arm.

Media says to get the vaccine even if you have already had it. Why?
And how annoying is this, they still want you to wear a mask even after getting the vaccine? How many of us only want the vaccine so we don't have to wear a mask?

Back
Top Bottom