Value of reloading

I have found the number of good gun shops in my area of Dedham MA falling quickly. I am thinking of reloading my own ammo but know little about it or how to get proper training.

Any info would be appreciated

Mitch.[grin]

Can you tell me the value of reloading verse just buying reloaded ammo. Is it just for consistency or is there a payback on equipment.

Can you tell me the value of reloading verse just buying reloaded ammo. Is it just for consistency or is there a payback on equipment.

Both. If done properly reloading will pay dividends in both
areas. You can tailor loads to match the capabilities of your
firearm or the task at hand, and when loading stuff that costs
more than 10 bucks a box or so (which is nearly everything these
days) it will pay some serious dividends.

Sometimes the money thing can be misleading, however... a lot of
folks figure out that they're spending about the same amount or
so on reloading stuff vs commercial ammo, but they're getting to
shoot a lot more for the same amount of money. [grin]

-Mike

Hey Mitch,

You can always save money by reloading*. How much depends on the calibers that you shoot. The main source of the savings comes from the fact that you can reuse brass. Some pistol brass (like .45 ACP) can be reloaded indefinitely; while some rifle calibers can be reloaded only a few times before the brass becomes unusable.

A good place to start is to pick up a copy of The ABC's of Reloading and read it cover-to-cover.

I recommend that if you plan to load handgun ammo in any kind of quantity, that you start off with a good quality progressive press. Lots of people will recommend that you start with a single-stage press to "learn the process". IMO, you can learn all you'll need to know (quickly) on a progressive press, and you won't get frustrated and have to upgrade later on. If you'll be loading smaller quantities, then get a good single stage press (like an RCBS Rockchucker). If you decide to start with a single stage, get a good one. Even if you upgrade to a progressive later on, you'll always find a use for a good single stage press.

I bought a good progressive press and everything I needed (scale, dies, shellplate, tumbler, media separator) for a total of about $700 and paid for it the first afternoon I used it. I did so by loading 500 rounds of .500 S&W Magnum.

* You don't really save money - you just shoot more.

A lot of good information so far, but as EddieCoyle has indicated, it will depend upon how much you relaod with it once you have it. There are two things that keep people away from reloading. One is obviously the cost for setting up. The other is the lack of what to do with it once you have it. For me I was going through a hundred rounds or more of 45 per week during the warmer months. My ROI was within one summer so it made sense.

As to knowing what to do with it once I bought it, I didn't want to mess around so I took a reloading class. I believe someone is setting up a class now on the board for people who want to learn how.

Good luck with your decision. Oh and if your next question is going to be which reloading press is better, get ready for a ride. [wink]

Can you tell me the value of reloading verse [sic] just buying reloaded ammo. Is it just for consistency or is there a payback on equipment[?].

Buying reloaded ammo will almost certainly restrict your options more than factory ammo does. Unless you find a place that will load ammo to your specs (as I believe NET will), you will get the LCD of ammo; cast lead bullets over an inexpensive, broad-spectrum powder (think Unique).

I second the recommendation that, if you plan to load for pistols, you get a progressive. I'd recommend the Hornady Lock-N-Load or Dillon 550 (which I have 2 of). Also reading the ABC's of Reloading and/or viewing the Dillon video.

You will have significant initial start-up costs ($700 sounds reasonable) and only you can determine what your time is worth. Time IS a cost and, if you don't have any, you won't be able to do the case prep, still less actually load the ammo. If time is an issue, consider getting spec-loaded ammo. It should be cheaper than factory, although nowhere near as cheap as "roll your own."

Note that, if you get quality equipment, you can always recover a fair portion of your investment should you decide reloading isn't for you.

However, unless you are well off, love subsidizing Wally World with the frequent purchases of bulk ammo, or want your local dealer to be your Best Friend Forever with your frequent orders of pallets of The Good Stuff, reloading will give you very accurate ammo at a significant savings.

Last edited:
+1 on the progressinve press. I jumped right into reloading by buying a Dillon 550 B. I had no previous experience with reloading. You will recoup the initial cost of the equipment in a short time.

Mitch,
With cast lead bullets in either rifle or pistol, you will never wear out a barrel.

Many shooters like to shoot a slightly reduced load for practice or short range target shooting, either cast bullets or light jacketed bullets.

You can get more trigger time with fewer bucks and less recoil.

Your big game rifle can be loaded back down to near .22 rimfire levels for small game.

Many calibers can share components. If you handload your ammo as you need it, you can make a small inventory of components serve many calibers and guns.

Jack

If you decide to reload, I highly recommend the polymer coated bullets. The cost is only pennies over mere hard-cast, Crayola-crayon lubed bullets (maybe even less if you know where to get them) and they are MUCH cleaner, both in terms of smoke and barrel residue.

Good luck finding THEM as loaded ammunition - yet another reason to reload.

Midway list of good basics

Been looking through the midway catalog, ordered the ABC book

The sierra was BO. So I got Hornady. The Hornady seems more available than the Dillon. Any list of basics needed for 25 - 45 pistol and 30 carbine. The catalogs usually try to sell stuff you do not need.

Thanks

Been looking through the midway catalog, ordered the ABC book

The sierra was BO. So I got Hornady. The Hornady seems more available than the Dillon. Any list of basics needed for 25 - 45 pistol and 30 carbine. The catalogs usually try to sell stuff you do not need.

Thanks

You bought a press already?

No still in research

ordered the books. the only good reload is 4S in my area so Midway will most likley be the source of all but Ammo parts. I saw no Dillon.
Just figured those that do can give me a better list than those that sell. I do plan on the press but assume I need more than just that.

Thanks for all the help.[grin]

I do plan on the press but assume I need more than just that.

Indeed.

Dies
Scale
Calipers
Tumbler and media
Manuals - as in MORE than one.

You can also get good info from the propellant manufacturers on-line.

You'll probably want some plastic ammo boxes also, and a roll of labels. I also suggest a Sharpie or similar marker for your brass.

As you look through what is available for presses go to brianenos.com. He's sells all kinds of reloading supplies and has a huge selection of items that will help you get set up. I purchased all my Dillon relaoding equipment from that site. The one good thing is that they group things together to cut down on the overall price. If you order more the $400s worth, the shipping is free. Best prices I've found so far for a number of items.

No one ever mentions it (I only know a few people who do this), but I would also highly suggest getting gloves, latex, rubber, surgical, or whatever, to wear while reloading. Once you have worn them and seen them turn from white to green, you will always wear them.

Last edited:
No one ever mentions it (I only know a few people who do this), but I would also highly suggest getting gloves,

+1

Good idea. I buy several boxes of the vinyl painters gloves at a time and have them in the basement. Don't forget eye protection too.

B

+1

Good idea. I buy several boxes of the vinyl painters gloves at a time and have them in the basement. Don't forget eye protection too.

B
I bought a few boxes of these gloves and love them. I also wear eye protection and ear plugs. I save my brass throughout the year and when winter comes I tumble it outside. Doing this outside reduces your chances of breathing in lead dust and keeps your tumbler motor running at a cooler temperature. Brianenos.com and EGuns.com are both good places to buy Dillon products.

Back
Top Bottom