Virginia AG to end reciprocity with all other states.

The right to bear arms is not a state's right. It is an individual right enumerated in the Constitution, one that neither the federal government nor state governments has any authority over. I feel like people who champion states rights don't even understand it.

The federal government has certain powers granted to it in the Constitution. The Constitution also list certain things no government has the power to do. All OTHER things that don't fall in these categories (bearing arms DOES fall in one), are delegated to the states or the people. It is not simply that the states have the right to do whatever they want.
I do tend to agree that the RKBA should not be infringed. If states require licenses to carry a firearm, however, it is well within their rights to not recognize licenses issued by other states. Push toward constitutional carry, not toward forcing states to recognize licenses issued by other states.

I see an immediate need for an active, well-funded gun rights organization in Virginia, maybe with its own museum and indoor range.

I think it's high time a reciprocity case is filed in Federal Court on the same basis as interstate gay marriage licenses. Use their own logic against them.

-JR

MA can't qualify with most states on reciprocity anyways because its permit term is actually too long. Not to mention there is dirty shit in MGL that wouldn't allow for true reciprocity, like that whole "have you ever been convicted of any drug BS". While other states ignore minor drug convictions MA uses it as a universal DQ (with the recent exceptions of the MJ issues because of the decrim law) So unless some other state is that ****ed up, you'd never see reciprocal with MA.

-Mike

Its funny that Mass wont recognize any other states permits, yet 23 states will recognize a Mass permit...

ec1e10689eb3dca5918bef863cda513a.jpg

I do tend to agree that the RKBA should not be infringed. If states require licenses to carry a firearm, however, it is well within their rights to not recognize licenses issued by other states. Push toward constitutional carry, not toward forcing states to recognize licenses issued by other states.

It's not well within their right. They have no right whatsoever to require a license in the first place.

So let me get this straight, your position is that states are not granted the constitutional ability to infringe on the RKBA? But once they unconstitutionally do so they can then project that onto the citizens of other states who happen to travel within that state's borders? Seriously? You wrote that? Sober?

It would be hilarious if the other states would refuse to honor Virginia drivers licenses, marriage licenses, etc, in return. Now that would get the liberals attention.

Wow an AG trying to impose his view of gun control on his commonwealth's citizens regardless of the laws. Where does he think he is .... MA?

For me, the 2nd and 14th amendments together make it obvious that everyone has a legal right to keep and bear arms anywhere in the country, but what do I know, right? I am just a citizen, not a lawyer or a corrupt, oath breaking neo-liberal politician.

Righteous has it right. In a nutshell...

All State laws limiting Constitutional Rights, are illegal. The 2nd Amendment and all other Constitutional Rights are protected Federally (nationally) by the 14th Amendment. Individuals cannot be denied their Right to free speech, religious freedom, racial discrimination, due process of the law, etc. on a State by State basis.

The 14th declares.... No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Virginia is for lovers.

The solution is to vacation elsewhere. If everyone that cares about keeping their gun rights chose to go some place else for vacation, a number of local business would feel the pain and that would change the AG's mind quickly. Vote with your wallet

MA can't qualify with most states on reciprocity anyways because its permit term is actually too long. Not to mention there is dirty shit in MGL that wouldn't allow for true reciprocity, like that whole "have you ever been convicted of any drug BS". While other states ignore minor drug convictions MA uses it as a universal DQ (with the recent exceptions of the MJ issues because of the decrim law) So unless some other state is that ****ed up, you'd never see reciprocal with MA.

-Mike

Fairly certain NC recognizes the MA license.

My hope is that in my lifetime I get to see the day when I can carry anywhere in this country without needing special permission. Not going to hold my breath.

Go ahead. I double dawg dare you to open carry in Mass with a North Carolina license. I'll visit you on alternate Tuesdays.

Some other states recognize a MA LTC. MA recognizes NO other states (firearm) licenses.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm pretty sure Dingbat's assertion was that you can carry in NC with a MA license, and not the other way around...

Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm pretty sure Dingbat's assertion was that you can carry in NC with a MA license, and not the other way around...

Yes. His assertion was in response to Dr. Grant's comment that due to MAs effed up laws, one would not expect to see other states have reciprocity with MA anytime soon.

Ding's observation could be construed to mean exactly what he said (which is true) or to suggest that NC and MA are mutually reciprocal, which is NOT true.

I just got an email from a tiny, angry Ninjer saying to stop hassling dingbat!

I didn't mean to, if it came across that way, I'm sorry! I was just correcting that whether or NC does, MA doesn't!

(ok mini?)

Fairly certain NC recognizes the MA license.

That's recognition not reciprocity. Two different things

Reciprocity = a state only accepts another states license because it's willing to do the same in kind. If either state changes its laws it is possible the reciprocity will be broken. Some states make little allowances here and there if their AG isn't a douche, others do not (which is what causes broken reciprocity agreements)

Recognition = a state recognizes a license from another state simply because it feels sorry for the people who have that license and they went through so much bullshit to get it they're probably OK people.

Some states do both. Some do one and not the other. There are several states like NH that I believe only do reciprocity. Some of this is because there is a reasonable attitude by at least one of the states that "If you're not going to give our people rights, then **** you, we're not giving your people any either" and while this is somewhat childish, it's also understandable- because it is also a form of trust from one to
the other.

-Mike

Last edited:
Yes. His assertion was in response to Dr. Grant's comment that due to MAs effed up laws, one would not expect to see other states have reciprocity with MA anytime soon.

Ding's observation could be construed to mean exactly what he said (which is true) or to suggest that NC and MA are mutually reciprocal, which is NOT true.

Yup... MA has reciprocity with NO ONE and likely NEVER will, absent some sea change in politics that involves unicorns arriving and pigs flying. This doesn't mean that states like NC or TX have to stop accepting our licenses out of pity if they choose to. [laugh] (it might also be an entincement to get MA people to move there.... )

-Mike

The solution is to vacation elsewhere. If everyone that cares about keeping their gun rights chose to go some place else for vacation, a number of local business would feel the pain and that would change the AG's mind quickly. Vote with your wallet

They kinda have a stranglehold on the market.... it's the least communist state that's anywhere near the capital/beltway area. Not that I have huge interest in going down there, outside of the few friends I have that live near the beltway.

-Mike

The key here, is that this applies to "concealed carry",am I right? This is how the courts justify this crap. Concealed carry is a "special" privilege bestowed upon citizens by their benevolent government. Couldn't you open carry in VA still as an out of stater?
Isn't this how CA got in a bind, because they outlawed open carry?

The key here, is that this applies to "concealed carry",am I right? This is how the courts justify this crap. Concealed carry is a "special" privilege bestowed upon citizens by their benevolent government. Couldn't you open carry in VA still as an out of stater?
Isn't this how CA got in a bind, because they outlawed open carry?
I don't think so. NJ and HI don't allow open carry and still extremely restrict concealed carry.

Back
Top Bottom