Wal-mart ammo nearly 50% off.

Lol with a single stage good luck with that. I started that way but you're not saving shit with a single stage. It's fine for small batches or ladder tests but otherwise a complete waste of time if the objective is to reduce costs. Someone really has to start with an SDB, 550. or better if the onbjective is viable volume. Time eventually has a cost.

-Mike

So a guy
Lol with a single stage good luck with that. I started that way but you're not saving shit with a single stage. It's fine for small batches or ladder tests but otherwise a complete waste of time if the objective is to reduce costs. Someone really has to start with an SDB, 550. or better if the onbjective is viable volume. Time eventually has a cost.

-Mike
So nobody should ever start reloading on a single stage? Just jump right to a progressive and shell out $700 right off the bat and not even know if they'll like doing it?

Someone can get a single stage press and pay for it in short order. Running 100 rounds in 45 minutes loading pretty much any pistol cal is easy. 9mm may not be a cost saver with econ of scale keeping that ammo dirt cheap.

If that someone is busy a f*** with work and has other shit going on of course they won't be able to justify it that's a given.....but rather than speaking in absolutes......maybe you could consider that a single stage could be beneficial for a beginning reloader that has some spare time and likes a little peace and quiet.

There's a guy on Armslist selling 3000 rounds of .45, looks like a Walmart bottom feeder to me.

There's a guy on Armslist selling 3000 rounds of .45, looks like a Walmart bottom feeder to me.
I knew it was only a matter of time.
He’s got it priced about the same as TSUSA minus the tax. Still don’t think he’ll be able to sell it at those prices. Going through the hassle of meeting him, buyers will want a better price I’m sure...

So nobody should ever start reloading on a single stage? Just jump right to a progressive and shell out $700 right off the bat and not even know if they'll like doing it?

Someone can get a single stage press and pay for it in short order. Running 100 rounds in 45 minutes loading pretty much any pistol cal is easy. 9mm may not be a cost saver with econ of scale keeping that ammo dirt cheap.

If that someone is busy a f*** with work and has other shit going on of course they won't be able to justify it that's a given.....but rather than speaking in absolutes......maybe you could consider that a single stage could be beneficial for a beginning reloader that has some spare time and likes a little peace and quiet.

I'm going to take a wild stab guess here and suggest that if someone like ScottS ever considers reloading pistol ammo that a single stage is a waste of his time. I only did it at the time because I had ample spare time and not a lot of cake. I had to divide the budget between mats and the gear (as well as brass) and I wanted to get started because I literally needed the ammo. It was obamascare 1 and commercial was either nonexistent or rapey. I would crank out 400-600 rounds a night but that was absolutely brutal, and that was with a lot of staging and other wasted time. As far as like it or not? It's a pool most people either dive into or they don't. Not to mention worst case a blue press will get you most of your money back if you had or wanted to sell it.

This isn't an argument about the usefulness of an SS press either, fwiw. They are useful. Just not for making pistol ammo in volume without wanting to eat a gun in the process... I never "enjoyed" the process just the outcome of the process. The fruits of the labor. (good, hell, excellent ammunition at 30% off or more).

-Mike

I'm going to take a wild stab guess here and suggest that if someone like ScottS ever considers reloading pistol ammo that a single stage is a waste of his time. I only did it at the time because I had ample spare time and not a lot of cake. I had to divide the budget between mats and the gear (as well as brass) and I wanted to get started because I literally needed the ammo. It was obamascare 1 and commercial was either nonexistent or rapey. I would crank out 400-600 rounds a night but that was absolutely brutal, and that was with a lot of staging and other wasted time. As far as like it or not? It's a pool most people either dive into or they don't. Not to mention worst case a blue press will get you most of your money back if you had or wanted to sell it.

This isn't an argument about the usefulness of an SS press either, fwiw. They are useful. Just not for making pistol ammo in volume without wanting to eat a gun in the process... I never "enjoyed" the process just the outcome of the process. The fruits of the labor. (good, hell, excellent ammunition at 30% off or more).

-Mike

Now we're getting somewhere. Some...dare I say many......enjoy the process. You were talking in "absolutes" before stating it's impossible to save money with a single. I think we both know that it's cheaper.....even using a single.....when you only factor in materials and not time. In YOUR opinion the time spent is not fun and therefore an added cost. But that's your experience.....not everyone's.

I'm not sure I follow. Why should prices increase in response to a decreased demand unless supply is overcorrected? Are you saying that supply will dry up rather that being diverted to other sellers?

I'd believe that with Walmart out of the game, we lose their moderating effect. But that's what all the online sellers are for.

I think that with a big Retailer like Walmart out of the ammo sales business, and people buying up their inventory cheap and stacking deep, sales will drop in the short term and manufactures will slow production and that will cause a price increase for those shooters who refused to buy from Walmart or missed out...

I'm not an economist, so what do I know? Maybe supplies will increase, demand will decrease and prices will drop through the floor...

I knew it was only a matter of time.
He’s got it priced about the same as TSUSA minus the tax. Still don’t think he’ll be able to sell it at those prices. Going through the hassle of meeting him, buyers will want a better price I’m sure...

Think of it as "speculation". How much are pork bellies gonna be in the Fall of 2020? Who knows?
How much will a 50 round White box of Winchester .45acp cost then? I'm betting more...

source.gif

Last edited:

-Mike
True, but it depends on what you're loading. I spent 3 hours loading 50 rounds or .32 S&W I could have bought online for $15 a box. .32 Magnum is almost always $1/round, so $50 over 3 hours is a big savings for me. Ditto on .45 Colt, 10mm... unpopular stuff that's costly because it's not 9mm or .45 ACP.

Too much of the time spent reloading is spent in cleaning the brass and priming the cases. The actual running the brass thru the dies goes by fairly quick.

IMO, I think it's worth having reloading gear in case there are ammo shortages in the future. Not sure if reloading supplies were available after Sandy Hook, but ammo was scarce unless it was something unpopular like .40.

Now we're getting somewhere. Some...dare I say many......enjoy the process. You were talking in "absolutes" before stating it's impossible to save money with a single. I think we both know that it's cheaper.....even using a single.....when you only factor in materials and not time. In YOUR opinion the time spent is not fun and therefore an added cost. But that's your experience.....not everyone's.

Only a masochist thinks running 500-1000 round sessions on a single is a good idea. Some people are into that sort of thing, much like the weirdos that clean guns constantly. I was pretty efficient at it too, but i still knew, deep down, it was totally f***ing stupid... but hard times make for questionable practices.... [rofl]

Only a masochist thinks running 500-1000 round sessions on a single is a good idea. Some people are into that sort of thing, much like the weirdos that clean guns constantly. I was pretty efficient at it too, but i still knew, deep down, it was totally f***ing stupid... but hard times make for questionable practices.... [rofl]
Wow. Your disdain for my opinion rated a double quote. Damn. 😂

Edit....I see you removed the "unless your time is worthless comment". Nice touch.

All that said ....Who said anything about 500 in a sitting? One to 1.5 hours a day keeps me very well supplied. It's a discipline.

And yes cleaning guns all the time is stupid.....especially if your just going to shoot it again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Framingham has 3 boxes of Winchester White Box .40 cal as of 5pm today--other than that they're cleaned out of all flavors of discounted ammo.

tl;dr...if youre loading bulk ammo on a single stage and think reloading is not your cup of tea, put in some time on a progressive before throwing in the towel altogether. Theres no comparison between single stage and progressive.

Im not even sure that its fair to compare a single stage and a progressive. Loading up bulk ammo on a single is torture, a progressive makes it tolerable and you dont mind burning an hour or two producing something like 9mm or 223 because at least you end up with a decent amount for your time spent. Someone who may get frustrated with a single and think reloading isnt for them may feel very different about it with a progressive. If someone just doesnt have the cash to upgrade or the time to put into it thats one thing, but I almost want to say you have to try a progressive before deciding the reloading experience isnt for

It didnt take me very long loading 9mm on a single to bite the bullet and spring for a 650. I kept the single and still use it for calibers that I dont shoot in bulk, but if it came down to loading bulk ammo on a single or paying for factory stuff, id probably just buy it because I cant say I enjoy loading 9mm/223 that way. 30.06/308/45colt, I like the slower pace and actually enjoy the brass prep process but I dont go through 4-500 rounds during a average trip to the range the way I do with the others.

-Mike
I agree with this. My single stage only gets used for big rifles that I shoot maybe 100 rounds per trip.

At a minimum, someone should get a Lee Classic. At least that can increase production once people want to step it up and it costs about the same as a single stage.

I would never recommend a ai gle stage for anyone wanting to reload more 100 rounds per week. If they need to learn, I would tell them to buy the dies, come use my single stage for 3-4hrs, then go home and buy a Lee Classic or better (LNL, Dillon...)

Wallmart raynham just restocked the 223 this morning. Remington 50rds for $7.
Oh man, am I going to have to keep checking my local walmart to see if they're restocking???...Tempting but I think I've bought enough and will let others snag it.

I knew they had too much stock to just fill the case once and then give the rest to the PoPo...

Also, is this Sell-Off Nation wide or only on the Coasts and other Liberal areas...?

FWIW, in one of the FB groups I follow, someone mentioned that Dicks is doing the same thing. Havent heard that from anywhere else though.

I knew they had too much stock to just fill the case once and then give the rest to the PoPo...
This is what I had been wondering. I asked the employees at several Walmarts I checked, and they all said what's in the case is what they have. I suspect they really have no idea and don't care to look further...

This is what I had been wondering. I asked the employees at several Walmarts I checked, and they all said what's in the case is what they have. I suspect they really have no idea and don't care to look further...

Or, were told to say that to limit hording and long lines of waiters...

Bear in mind this "sale" has been going on since like, the 10th at least.... even if only one or two serious guys hits a walmart every day, by now most of them are "blown clean". Even if the store skipped a day in restocking the shelves. At these prices a lot of people probably whipped out a CC and filled a cart up...

-Mike

Can't argue with that Mike...

Someone should have set up a trail cam in Sporting Goods when this all started. [rofl2]

iu

Back
Top Bottom