• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wal-mart ammo nearly 50% off.

I thought so too. Maybe they marked it back up because Dec. 31 is still 2 weeks away, and some sucker will pay full price...?

Those boxes looked kinda lonely all by themselves...

You are mistaken. That is the 200 box price. The 100 round boxes are $15 each. Sadly by the time I could strike that was all that was left. I bought 4 of them... Several half price boxes of shotshell was a nice bonus for being so tardy.

Now that I think of it, those were 200-round value packs for $30ea making it $0.15/round. My Bad...

Nick Fury nailed while I was typing. Kudos

Last edited:
Plymouth dropped their prices today at Noon. Grabbed another 750 rounds of mixed 223/556 ammo. There was a ton of .223 rem and Winchester .556. They also had a good amount of Blackout and some Valkyrie if anyone is interested. I bought the rest of the American Eagle.

Another question that crosses my mind is the long-term effects of this Nation-wide retailer, who moves over a billion dollars in ammunition annually, getting out of the market.

Many who buy ammo, now are stocked to the gills (if they were smart) and may not need to buy certain ammo possibly for years if ever again.
That will effect the price of ammo due to Supply and Demand.

Prior to this historic event, many folks only bought ammo in small amounts from low-ballers like Walmart because that's all they could afford. Is that over...?

Now that Walmart is out, and ammunition manufacturers will not be making as much in sales, they will pass the cost onto the consumers. So, whether you bought your ammo at Walmart, Local Gun Stores or Target Sports your prices will be going up. Also, think of how many ammunition retailers we have lost (each Walmart store, with Dick's to follow; I am sure of it)
Stores that you could walk into almost any time of day, week or even most holidays and walk out with fresh, low-cost ammo ready for consumption. Gone. Forever.

Keep in mind that the reduction in store-bought ammunition will also effect the sale and availability of reloading components. Powder/primers and projos will all rise in cost, and be harder to find on the shelf...

Something to ponder...
~Enbloc

Last edited:
It’s looks like TS has an effective rate of 6.25-6.35%. Are they collecting an inbetween Ct/Ma sales tax?

Another question that crosses my mind is the long-term effects of this Nation-wide retailer, who moves over a billion dollars in ammunition annually, getting out of the market.
It's certainly something to ponder. But also remember that Walmart doesn't yet plan to go away entirely: "Walmart says its current market share in ammunition is about 20% and the new cutbacks will reduce its profile in that market to around 6% to 9%." Most notably, it apparently plans to keep selling shot shells and .22 LR ammo, which I suspect was a sizable part of its ammo business.

Let's face it: The ammo business is a crazy business at best, subject to politics and news events and crazy laws same as the firearms business or even worse. I don't think anyone can say what is to become of it just yet. There are too many variables... too many unknowable unknowns. [thinking]

"Walmart says its current market share in ammunition is about 20% and the new cutbacks will reduce its profile in that market to around 6% to 9%." Most notably, it apparently plans to keep selling shot shells and .22 LR ammo, which I suspect was a sizable part of its ammo business.

Yes, true, but it's like a Package Store whose shelves are only stocked with Jack Daniels and the coolers only have Pabst's Blue Ribbon. Good? Yes, but I can buy those anywhere...

jack-daniels-whiskey-ltr-25.jpg
ci-pabst-blue-ribbon-16cdc21d4cdd2998.jpeg

Without knowing the actual numbers, couldn't one argue that Walmart & Dick's have been feeling the heat for a while now? Yes some people still do business there, but many in the gun community have shunned them since they took a stance against AR rifles. The demand didn't change, only the sources of where to buy ammo. The people who are buying a lot of ammo, I would argue that a larger number of them are shooting it like they were before, and not just hording their own cache. There are a number of variables involved of course, I would imagine smart people who track sales would know better.

Many who buy ammo, now are stocked to the gills (if they were smart) and may not need to buy certain ammo possibly for years if ever again.

Prior to this historic event, many folks only bought ammo in small amounts from low-ballers like Walmart because that's all they could afford. Is that over...?

Now that Walmart is out, and ammunition manufacturers will not be making as much in sales, they will pass the cost onto the consumers. So, whether you bought your ammo at Walmart, Local Gun Stores or Target Sports your prices will be going up. Also, think of how many ammunition retailers we have lost (each Walmart store, with Dick's to follow; I am sure of it)
Stores that you could walk into almost any time of day, week or even most holidays and walk out with fresh, low-cost ammo ready for consumption. Gone. Forever.

Keep in mind that the reduction in store-bought ammunition will also effect the sale and availability of reloading components. Powder/primers and projos will all rise in cost, and be harder to find on the shelf...

Something to ponder...
~Enbloc

Yes, true, but it's like a Package Store whose shelves are only stocked with Jack Daniels and the coolers only have Pabst's Blue Ribbon. Good? Yes, but I can buy those anywhere...
Oh, I get it. It's not a good thing except maybe for some local shops. But as to its overall effect on the ammo industry, it's too early to predict anything. One big variable is likely increased purchasing via the Internet in place of Walmart just like on-line shopping is changing everything in retail.

I further suspect that Walmart will loosen its policy a bit over time when it comes to its "what is a long gun hunting round" criteria. Just a hunch.

But I'm not waiting for anything to come out of this, good or bad. I'm in very good shape and can weather any storm. [mg]

Something to ponder...
~Enbloc
I'm not sure I follow. Why should prices increase in response to a decreased demand unless supply is overcorrected? Are you saying that supply will dry up rather that being diverted to other sellers?

I'd believe that with Walmart out of the game, we lose their moderating effect. But that's what all the online sellers are for.

I think the thing to worry about is that there are less brick and mortar places to buy ammunition. If, for some reason, mail order were to suddenly end, where does everybody then turn, and can those places support the masses? As others have said, it is a good time to establish a relationship with local shops. Now the problem is lack of local shops...

On this note all I can say is F**k abunch of Wal-Mart and their cheap a** shi*. I'll be in my work space making more of my own quality ammo. Never been happier that I learned to make my own as when I watch Some of these retailers make policy for their customers wants and needs.

At the Worcester store, they had 2 employees with carts bringing out what they had, and were PACKING the cases full. They were jamming overstock in the back where there were empty spots, so they could empty the box and clear out the old inventory. There was a lot of 30-06, 30-30, 54R, but that was not on sale.

Went to Worcester Sat 1pm. Someone other NES'r got there first, lol. Well done!
No 9, 45, .223, .40, .... Just a little .380 and .38.

How did I miss this?!?
I guess this just means I have to pony up the $90 for a TSUSA prime membership. I don’t know if I can make it pay for itself, but I can certainly try. I’ve never had the cash flow to buy cases of anything so I’ve been picking up boxes here and there. Yes, at Walmart (and from members here) because it was cheaper than paying for shipping. Politics aside, their prices were good and that’s all I can focus on at this point. I unfortunately missed out on all this and by the sounds of it, imagine everything is already gone. I’d have taken out a personal loan for .15 cent 5.56 and .09 9mm, damn!

On this note all I can say is F**k abunch of Wal-Mart and their cheap a** shi*. I'll be in my work space making more of my own quality ammo. Never been happier that I learned to make my own as when I watch Some of these retailers make policy for their customers wants and needs.
I too roll my own. But......I buy factory ammo when it is on sale to replenish the brass supply.

How did I miss this?!?
I guess this just means I have to pony up the $90 for a TSUSA prime membership. I don’t know if I can make it pay for itself, but I can certainly try. I’ve never had the cash flow to buy cases of anything so I’ve been picking up boxes here and there. Yes, at Walmart (and from members here) because it was cheaper than paying for shipping. Politics aside, their prices were good and that’s all I can focus on at this point. I unfortunately missed out on all this and by the sounds of it, imagine everything is already gone. I’d have taken out a personal loan for .15 cent 5.56 and .09 9mm, damn!
You should start reloading. A single stage Lee and all the shit you need to get started is about $250. It'll pay for itself in about 4 range trips if your using once fired factory brass that you collected.

My costs are

45acp $10 a box and it's more accurate than factory through my 1911...using bullseye powder and berry plated swc for target loads. Cost goes up to $12 if I'm using jacketed round nose.

38 special $7 a box using bullseye powder and cast rnfp. We shoot that by the coffee can full for plinking and plate shoots. One coffee can per range trip lasts a long time for range fun.

Extremely hot 357 mag $14 a box and that's using Speer jacketed hollow points and h110 powder.

Last edited:
I too roll my own. But......I buy factory ammo when it is on sale to replenish the brass supply.
Fortunatly for me My brother was on the FEMA teams, he got first crack at some mil-surp .45 and 9 mm cases at the auctions by the barrel full, I have enough for this lifetime and maybe some of my next. ( although some have to be decrimped but is just one more step)

Last edited:
Fortunatly for me My brother was on the FEMA teams, he got first crack at some mil-surp .45 and 9 mm cases at the auctions by the barrel full, I have enough for this lifetime and maybe some of my next. ( although some have to be decrimped but is just one more step)
I saved every spent case for about 5 years before I started reloading. I have enough to last many years. But I do like to run factory every now and then plus I keep a good stock of factory in my basement for.....well.....you know.

You should start reloading. A single stage Lee and all the shit you need to get started is about $250. It'll pay for itself in about 4 range trips if your using once fired factory brass that you collected.

My costs are

45acp $10 a box and it's more accurate than factory through my 1911...using bullseye powder and berry plated swc for target loads. Cost goes up to $12 if I'm using jacketed round nose.

38 special $7 a box using bullseye powder and cast rnfp. We shoot that by the coffee can full for plinking and plate shoots. One coffee can per range trip lasts a long time for range fun.

Extremely hot 357 mag $14 a box and that's using Speer jacketed hollow points and h110 powder.

All well and good, but remember, too, some of us have no interest in reloading, because it's not all about saving a few cents per round. I paid $17/100 for WWB .45 during this "ammo blitz." When you say you're reloading .45ACP at "$12/box," I'm assuming that's per 50 rounds, which means the WWB was cheaper than reloading. Even if you were reloading at $12/100, my time is worth far more than $5/100. Plus I'm not scrambling around on my hands and knees trhing to find those last 3 cases.

All well and good, but remember, too, some of us have no interest in reloading, because it's not all about saving a few cents per round. I paid $17/100 for WWB .45 during this "ammo blitz." When you say you're reloading .45ACP at "$12/box," I'm assuming that's per 50 rounds, which means the WWB was cheaper than reloading. Even if you were reloading at $12/100, my time is worth far more than $5/100. Plus I'm not scrambling around on my hands and knees trhing to find those last 3 cases.
It was a suggestion...that's all. I'm well aware that some have no interest in reloading. I was that way until I started shooting 2-3 times a week. That "few cents a round" of savings ends up being hundreds of dollars when you shoot in volume. For example even 4 cents a round saves me about $12 to $16 on 45acp on a standard plate night. Say $12......times twice a week is $24......couple hundred a month......about $2000 a year. That's just my 45acp shooting. For some it's worth it.

Where are you finding wwb for under $12 for a box of 50? I'd be in that deal for sure if nothing more than to add to my brass pile.

Oh....and I don't scrounge around for the last rounds of brass when I'm shooting.....after I go through 400 rounds it just gets swept up in volume and dumped into my cans to come home and get dumped in the tumbler......if I miss a a dozen or so empties I don't worry a about it.

As far as the time.....reloading is a hobby......seperate.....but related to shooting. I enjoy the peace and quiet in my reloading room.

Last edited:
Where are you finding wwb for under $12 for a box of 50? I'd be in that deal for sure if nothing more than to add to my brass pile.
I picked up 400 rds of WWB at $17/100 during this recent Operation Arm Grandkids. If they had any more at that price, I would have taken all I could carry. And I don't even shoot that much .45ACP anymore.

I picked up 400 rds of WWB at $17/100 during this recent Operation Arm Grandkids. If they had any more at that price, I would have taken all I could carry. And I don't even shoot that much .45ACP anymore.
So it was a one time sale?
400 rounds of 45acp would last me one week in spring summer.......2 to 3 weeks in the winter when I switch to centerfire bullseye.

Without a constant supply at that price it doesn't do anything to make reloading a waste of time if you shoot enough.

Last edited:
So it was a one time sale?
400 rounds of 45acp would last me one week in spring summer.......2 to 3 weeks in the winter when I switch to centerfire bullseye.

Without a constant supply at that price it doesn't do anything to make reloading a waste of time if you shoot enough.

Just answering the "where did you find WWB for less than $12/box." I was merely pointing out a great stock-up opportunity for those of us who don't reload at nearly or better-than-reload prices, not necessarily a constant stream. If they had 5K rounds, I would have taken all they had, and like I said, I don't even shoot .45ACP that much any more.

Lol with a single stage good luck with that. I started that way but you're not saving shit with a single stage. It's fine for small batches or ladder tests but otherwise a complete waste of time if the objective is to reduce costs. Someone really has to start with an SDB, 550. or better if the onbjective is viable volume. Time eventually has a cost.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom