• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you buy today?

NES Member
It's 1600 hrs and a TAX FREE DAY, I don't see any guns up yet..... Better be some people out test firing.

Well here is my .02 cents, or should I say $225. S&W Model 19 from AFS. Looks like it was never carried. Very nice deep bluing. Pinned and recessed, and also has a nice trigger job. I will be getting rid of the grips for nice wood.

Can somebody run the numbers for me?
K684xxx

DSCN0462.jpg

DSCN0461.jpg

Last edited:
NOTHING! I REFUSE TO BE STAMPEDED INTO BUYING AT THE BECK AND CALL OF THE POLITICAL HACKS! SCREW EM'!!! [angry2]

Sorry BJ, I couldn't resist coming into your thread and harassing you when I saw it. [smile] [rofl]

"You Snooze You Lose"

What I didn't buy to day is a $225 2.5" 1966 era M19-2 (with the nicest trigger pull I've seen in a long while) because, when I arrived at the store (with a lockable rug, trigger lock and a screw driver set to replace the handguns grip with an Uncle Mikes) someone had the handgun in their hands.

I now officially hate you!

As I said in the shop, I guess that nap I took this afternoon proves the old saying "You Snooze You Lose"!

Nice gun and you shot it well!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
Looks like a 19-2 to me. By the partial you gave appears to be 19-2 made in or around 1966.

First thing I would do is remove the trigger stop. (Small piece of metal in the grip frame to the rear of the trigger) There was a recall on that piece for partial turning causing a malfunction for trigger not going all the way back.

Remove the three side plate screws, the stop is held by one small screw into the frame under the side plate.

Nice revolver. I had one, loved it, wish I had never sold it.

As for what I bought today, after gasoline to and from Riverside and small cheap drive through lunch, I had nothing left [wink]

I had hope to see Mr Kelly there but I was disappointed again.

Regards,

Last edited:
Just got back from Four Seasons with my nice new Mossberg 590. I love the completely gratuitous bayonet lug on on it. The couple next to me was picking up their nigh-identical shotgun.

The shop was a madhouse yet I didn't wait at all thanks to all the extra staff on hand. I thought I knew everyone working there but half the faces were new to me.

I had hope to see Mr Kelly there but I was disappointed again.---RGS
Gary,
If I had known you were going to be there I would have gone just to say hello! How did you shoot?

Respectfully,

jkelly

Just got back from Four Seasons with my nice new Mossberg 590. I love the completely gratuitous bayonet lug on on it. The couple next to me was picking up their nigh-identical shotgun.

The shop was a madhouse yet I didn't wait at all thanks to all the extra staff on hand. I thought I knew everyone working there but half the faces were new to me.

Wow- you didn't waste anytime getting there. [wink] Good for you! I have to stay away for a while. I am weak in those situations.

I BOUGHT TODAY
1. CUSTOM HAND MADE IN 1958 IN FERLACH GERMANY - AN OVER UNDER 12ga - 30-06 - WITH KAHLES SCOPE AND GOLD AND SILVER INLAIDS.
2. CUSTOM BUILT SPRINGFIELD SINGLE SHOT BOLT 30-06 - WITH KAHLES
SCOPE.
3. H&K USC CARBINE IN 45ASP.
[thinking] ,[rolleyes] ,[wink]

(I'M NOT TELLING WHAT I GOT RID OF TO GET THESE TOYS)!!!

Just picked up a few boxes of .45 ammo at Four Seasons. I think the "tax holiday" is crap, but I like to see Carl & the gang anyway.

Carl brings in extra help, folks that used to work there or those that only work on these "heavy sales days" (like the day after Thanksgiving). That explains why some faces may be unfamiliar.

No gun stuff this year either (last year it was a new oil burner and dinette set). Old oil burner was leaking and was less than a 50-50 chance that repair (~$1500.00) would work. Likewise old dinette set needed to be replaced.

The trick is to use this opportunity to buy ONLY those things you wanted/planned for anyway.

Just got back after doing the last bit of shopping.

Bought a GPS (Garmin 2720), something that I'd been planning for the past month or so. Bought some digital camera bags that I've needed for quite a while anyway. Ironically, The Camera Company is also running a 25% off sale this weekend, so they were a lot cheaper than even eBay. If I had them a week ago, I would have had my camera with me for the NES Members Only outing.

I spent much of the day researching 2-line wireless phones that allow for expansion but don't have an answering machine. Finally settled on what I wanted and went to Staples to pick them up. Today was also the last day of a 12% discount on almost anything at Staples, thanks to a special offer that my Wife got thru her employer. So I saved considerably more than the 5% tax. Also once this is setup, I'm killing off one of my 3 land-lines and will save $30/month forever.

It was a good tax-free weekend for me! [smile]

I found a real pretty Smith & Wesson Model 30-1, .32 S&W Long, with a 3" barrel and original stocks. It didn't have much to do with the tax holiday, except that my wife and I went out to buy some furniture and after going to Barrett's and Ikea in Stoughton (Ikea was a freakin' madhouse), Zero Hour Arms was on the way home and I just stopped in to see if they had anything "old". Those guys make fun of wheelgunners, but evry time I go there I find a real reasonably priced gun that I take home.

The gun was so nice I bought it in front of my wife. She sat with Jim on the couch and talked, only asking what I was getting this time. When I showed her, she said, "wow, that IS pretty cute". I figured walking into the shop, when I saw her following me, that if I found something nice I'd have to go back later and get it. ( I guess the $1K we left at Barretts put her in a good mood).

I saw wchandler there. even the guys at Zero Hour are amazed at the high quality of guns he sells/trades/buys. Nice to see him.

I BOUGHT TODAY
1. CUSTOM HAND MADE IN 1958 IN FERLACH GERMANY - AN OVER UNDER 12ga - 30-06 - WITH KAHLES SCOPE AND GOLD AND SILVER INLAIDS.
2. CUSTOM BUILT SPRINGFIELD SINGLE SHOT BOLT 30-06 - WITH KAHLES
SCOPE.
3. H&K USC CARBINE IN 45ASP.
[thinking] ,[rolleyes] ,[wink]

(I'M NOT TELLING WHAT I GOT RID OF TO GET THESE TOYS)!!!

Hmmmm, I'd say it was priceless art or gold bars. Thats what I'd need to sell to acquire those toys. [laugh]
Me... I had a diferent day. Went and returned my defective XBOX 360 for a new one at Circuit City and because today was tax free got the tax diference I paid a few weeks ago credited to my Circuit City card.[smile] Now I can kill zombies in Dead Rising tonight much happier knowing theres a few extra bucks credited to my account.
Then it was over to Barnes and Noble to decide if I wanted to pay $8 for this years Surplus Firearms magazine. I was suckered in by a few good articles I had missed in old issues.
After picking up 3 bags of wood and charcoal for the BBQ smoker from Lowes, it was off to Richie's Sporting Supply in Westport where I was tempted by a few goodies and may go back tomorrow for one.

1966 according to the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson. K658987-K715996 for that year.

The K series covers Models 14,15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 53, 66, 67, 68 and pre model variations.

Gary

Bought a portable Craftsman compressor at Sears. Regular price $130.00 plus tax ($136.50) I bought it for $87.50 with the no tax day and on sale. A good deal I think. Was going to get it anyway but nice to save a few extra dollars.

Chris

Even though I still had to pay taxes, I still came home with a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. Love it!
No money left for guns though =(
Maybe next time around!

2000 rounds of .40, 1000 rounds of .38 for a coworker who claims he can never find it, and probably the best condition ammo can I have ever purchased. Only saved 25.50 overall but I figure that paid for the normally non taxable items I also purchased and I was in need of .40.

Back
Top Bottom