What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Started tumbling some 44 mag brass in hopes I can load them tomorrow or this weekend. Been shooting more 44 mag through the Henry to prepare for deer next month. Got it sighted in yesterday. Need to practice more.

Will be nice to load something different aside from 9mm...That’s been more of a chore than anything else

Picked up a nice old Herter's turret press.
6 station turret. 8" wide and 1.25" thick Weighs 37 pounds.
So I'm figuring out a spot for that. Also have a Dillon 450 on the way to me this weekend.
I think I'm going to have to build a new bench for these.

Loaded some 9MM with 130 grain round nose cast. Coated with the Hi-Tek Black Gold. Love that coating

Mark are those 10MM coated with Gold Hi-Tek?

No, those are coated with krypton green.

Today I sorted through my brass and found a box of 9mm that needs to be cleaned. I removed them from individual 50 round packages with inserts. Check the karma section if you're interested in these boxes.

I also found some boxes of penn lead/lubed bullets that I don't know what I should do with. Now that I cast I have a recipe all set for the bullets I cast and don't really need multiple choices as far as shape of the bullet, plus I like shooting the hitek coated bullets. I don't want to just melt them down as I feel like this is a waste of already cast and lubed bullets, maybe I'll put them up in the trade topic.

Last edited:
[laugh] I was waiting for you to chime in lol. Ya ya ya maybe someday I’ll try it. So convenient to have someone else do it haha. At 13 cents each and how rarely I shoot them, I don’t mind.
Hahahha.
Some day you’ll see the light and realize that’s it’s not a chore and it’s just adding more enjoyment to an awesome hobby.
I’ll keep hounding you until then.
I’ll pay for your spot in the seminar if you come down in October. It will cover the gas.
Then we can make you drink the cool aid while we chant and fan dirty wheel weight smoke on you. That should do the trick.

Plus, the .44 is much easier to handle around the press; much easier to see, too.
Yup. Easier to resize than 9mm too. My hand/arms get sore loading 500-1000 rounds of 9mm at a time. I'm down to 120 of the 240 gr JSPs. Looks like I need to order more bullets.

that I've only loaded .431 diameter Zero JSPs into those cases, in which case it's actually a good marriage.
How are you liking those Zero bullets? Did you buy 500 or 1,000? I'm getting low on 44 cal bullets and will be ordering some of these. I have only used their 9mm and 357 bullets.

Plus, the .44 is much easier to handle around the press; much easier to see, too.

Thats what I dislike about reloading .223/5.56, the bullets are small and a chore to handle individually, but I do what I have to and get through it.:D
I thoroughly enjoy loading 9,.45 and 44s.

How are you liking those Zero bullets? Did you buy 500 or 1,000? I'm getting low on 44 cal bullets and will be ordering some of these. I have only used their 9mm and 357 bullets.

They are pretty much .357@158gr Zero JSPs scaled up to .431@240gr. Good plinking bullets. If you want jacketed bullets for that, I don't see anything out there that's in the same price range. Accuracy is typical of factory JSPs in my rifle. I bought 1K, have loaded 500, and have shot most of them.

The .431 diameter is what it is. I guess the soft lead core with the thin copper jacket will swage down OK in pretty much anything, but I have been shooting them mostly in a rifle. I say the jacket is thin because what was left looked thin after the bullets hit steel, but maybe that wasn't such a good way to tell, lol. The .431 diameter doesn't work well with the Lee Factory Crimp Die, especially in the relatively stiff G.F.L. brass, because of the die's sizing ring.

I might buy more when I run out, and the Zero .357's are pretty much what I always load in .357 magnum and .38 special, but in fact my last order for .44's was with another vendor for .430" Hi-Tek coated TCFPs @18 Brinell. I got those because I've been liking their 300 grain counterparts in .45 Colt. Haven't shot any of the TCFP 44's in the Henry yet, but the S&W model 69 liked them last night at the range when I was testing an array of loads. 18.0 grains of Shooter's World Heavy Pistol won the nod last night, though I might try developing an H110 load for the Henry.

[laugh] I was waiting for you to chime in lol. Ya ya ya maybe someday I’ll try it. So convenient to have someone else do it haha. At 13 cents each and how rarely I shoot them, I don’t mind.
At 13 cents if they are gas checked and lubed or coated I would buy too!
It’s all dependent of the time/money continum. There’s a point that we have more time than money and them more money than time... then there’s where I’m at now no time or money

At 13 cents if they are gas checked and lubed or coated I would buy too!
It’s all dependent of the time/money continum. There’s a point that we have more time than money and them more money than time... then there’s where I’m at now no time or money
I hear that! And yes these are coated and gas checked.

The .431 diameter is what it is. I guess the soft lead core with the thin copper jacket will swage down OK in pretty much anything, but I have been shooting them mostly in a rifle. I say the jacket is thin because what was left looked thin after the bullets hit steel, but maybe that wasn't such a good way to tell, lol. The .431 diameter doesn't work well with the Lee Factory Crimp Die, especially in the relatively stiff G.F.L. brass, because of the die's sizing ring.
This is my concern. I would assume they must be safe to use but it would be helpful to know the bore diameter on my DW 44 revolver and Henry rifle. I will be using mid-max charges of H110/296. Maybe I’ll call/email them.

What does the reloading expert @EddieCoyle think?....

but it would be helpful to know the bore diameter on my DW 44 revolver and Henry rifle.

Well, if I'm reading it right, the SAAMI rifle spec is a .424" bore with .431" grooves, while the handgun spec is a .417" bore with .429" grooves. In the revolver it's not the bore I'm worried about, rather the cylinder throats, and pressure is surely higher for a given load than in the rifle. It just seems a little unfriendly to the gun. I've done it, but only with very light loads (for 44 magnum).

Well, if I'm reading it right, the SAAMI rifle spec is a .424" bore with .431" grooves, while the handgun spec is a .417" bore with .429" grooves. In the revolver it's not the bore I'm worried about, rather the cylinder throats, and pressure is surely higher for a given load than in the rifle. It just seems a little unfriendly to the gun. I've done it, but only with very light loads (for 44 magnum).
Very good points! I emailed the company and voiced my concerns and they’re going to send me 30 bullets for free to test out. Awesome service.

They’re going to have one of their technical guys get back to me regarding the bullet diameter

I just tried pushing some Speer 240 gr SJHPs 0.429" bullets through my Dan Wesson cylinders and it was quite snug. Had to tap them out with a brass rod and hammer. Hmmm. I can only imagine how snug a 0.431" bullet will be.

I just tried pushing some Speer 240 gr SJHPs 0.429" bullets through my Dan Wesson cylinders and it was quite snug. Had to tap them out with a brass rod and hammer. Hmmm. I can only imagine how snug a 0.431" bullet will be.

I think we can see the handwriting on the wall as far as the DW is concerned. They'll work fine in the Henry. Having said that, I found it kind of unsatisfying insofar as my S&W 69 is supposed to be a "cowboy pair" to my .44 Henry. Kind of undermines that "PoU" (nod to Nutnfancy) if I don't want to shoot the rifle loads in the handgun.

Ya I definitely want bullets that work in both guns. I think they’ll work in the DW but I may have to lower the charge? I’ll report back once I receive them and have a chance to load them.

Picked up a nice Herter’s Turret Press that weighs 37 pounds (8” diameter steel turret that’s 1.25” thick) and an old Dillon RL 450

Now I need to build another bench.

I’m thinking of dedicating each of them to a rifle cartridge.
I mostly load 45/70, 300 blackout and then less so 308 and 30/30.

Either that or keep most of my rifle loading on the rock chucker with lock n load bushings. Dedicate the 450 to who knows what and use the turret press to have a permanent home for all of my lee push through sizers.
Decision decisions.

Ya I definitely want bullets that work in both guns. I think they’ll work in the DW but I may have to lower the charge? I’ll report back once I receive them and have a chance to load them.
I think we can see the handwriting on the wall as far as the DW is concerned. They'll work fine in the Henry. Having said that, I found it kind of unsatisfying insofar as my S&W 69 is supposed to be a "cowboy pair" to my .44 Henry. Kind of undermines that "PoU" (nod to Nutnfancy) if I don't want to shoot the rifle loads in the handgun.
For what it's worth, I reached out to Bob the lead revolver smith at Dan Wesson and he said that the chamber dimensions are .430 plus/minus .001 so mine is in spec. He also said he can ream/hone the chambers for $45....Hmmm I may just do that and also include the bullets and a dummy round to help determine how much reaming is needed.

This is my concern. I would assume they must be safe to use but it would be helpful to know the bore diameter on my DW 44 revolver and Henry rifle. I will be using mid-max charges of H110/296. Maybe I’ll call/email them.

What does the reloading expert @EddieCoyle think?....

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're trying to milk every last FPS of velocity out of them.

How do they shoot? That's what really matters. You're not going to hurt the gun.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're trying to milk every last FPS of velocity out of them.

How do they shoot? That's what really matters. You're not going to hurt the gun.
I like stout 44 mag loads but I don't care if I'm getting maximum velocities. 23.5 gr of H110/296 is what I use - max being 24 grains I believe.

I don't have the bullets yet - they'll be shipping me 30 to test out. I was concerned about the gun more than anything but it sounds like that is a non-issue. I'll report back once the bullets arrive and I'm able to load em up. Thanks Jim!

The Zero 44 cal bullets are slightly shorter in length than other jacketed 44 bullets. This photo (taken from another forum) shows a Montana Gold 44 bullet on the left (which I've shot thousands of), Zero bullet on the right. The shorter length (albeit very minor) might help with pressures too? Will report back once the bullets arrive
Roze 001_zps2nmosvne.jpg

FWIW, I've loaded and shot the Zeros from 20.0 grains up to 24.6 grains of H110 in my Henry. Based on chrono data and group size, I settled on a load 22.5 grains. YMMV, of course, and it might vary a lot from mine insofar as mine's an octagonal carbine barrel, and yours is a round 20" barrel.

This week I have finished 250 rds of 9mm 115g FMj with Alliant Power Pistol, 200 rds of 5.56 with Hodgdon CFE-223, also ran a small batch with Ramshot TAC for comparison. Finished off with 20 rounds of .300 Weatherby, 180gr Nosler Accubond ahead of IMR-7828SSC, and 40rds of .375 Ruger with Speer 270 gr boat tails with Win760. Next up, as soon as my dies get here, will be my first run at .450 Bushmaster, I can't wait to see how they compare to the factory Hornady Blacks.

Got my $60 Vihtavuori rebate along with some stickers in the mail today. Only took a month which was great. They quoted 8-10 weeks for processing.
Also Norm’s gas checked coated 170 gr bullets arrived today.
229F81E3-CC15-43DE-BAB3-7D10EDE1AFE5.png

Last edited:
Also loaded the remaining 44 cal Speer 240 gr JHPs over 296. Resized and primed the remaining 44 mag cases to prepare for the Zero bullets arriving on Monday.

Although I only shot one through a water-filled gallon plastic milk jug, this bullet stopped quickly in the cardboard box placed directly behind said jug. 185 grains on the fired bullet:

Attachments

• IMG_1039e.jpg
    IMG_1039e.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Berry'sHHP.jpg
    Berry'sHHP.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1044e.jpg
    IMG_1044e.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 20
Although I only shot one through a water-filled gallon plastic milk jug, this bullet stopped quickly in the cardboard box placed directly behind said jug. 185 grains on the fired bullet:
Wow that's pretty good expansion. And that's a plated bullet right??

Back
Top Bottom