What did you do in the reloading room recently?

3d printing is slow - the main body is like a full day, the bullet plates take almost 8 hours. But the printer runs on its own so once you start it, you just check back once in a while to check on it.

$200 will get you a decent printer - I have a Creality Ender 3 with no real issues

Filament is about $20 for a kilo - less if you don't care about color and just grab whatever is on sale
Will a $200 printer do the job you just did?

One hour with YouTube tutorials and you'll be making simple parts
You must have a pretty steep learning curve. I get super frustrated with 3d modeling software. I tried to draw up something in sketchup a few times, and got so frustrated I just uninstalled everything. I can run a Bridgeport and a manual lathe, but that software had me in fits.

SketchUp is not easy - try Fusion, much more intuitive
Well that's encouraging at least. I've watched a bunch of the NYC CNC videos where he shows drawing up parts in Fusion 360, and I'm still pretty sure I'm glad I'm not a CNC programmer.

I actually took drafting in college. But they started us off with pencils and paper. And when I get frustrated with software while trying to draw up something before I make it, I just fall back to paper.

Well that's encouraging at least. I've watched a bunch of the NYC CNC videos where he shows drawing up parts in Fusion 360, and I'm still pretty sure I'm glad I'm not a CNC programmer.

I actually took drafting in college. But they started us off with pencils and paper. And when I get frustrated with software while trying to draw up something before I make it, I just fall back to paper.
That's where I started - went to a vocational high school so had to learn basic drafting.
Fusion starts with a 2d sketch that you use to extrude or cut features - if you draft and are machinist you'll pick it up fast as long as you start with basic objects.
Complex stuff gets weird with needing to build features in certain orders but you figure that out along the way

Yeah, that is impressive for an affordable printer. I was still under the impression you need to spend bigger bucks if you wanted to produce anything decent.
You will need to 'tune' the printer - Really just a print, measure, adjust routine to get the amount of filament extruded calibrated.
After that it's just getting a feel of temperatures and speeds vs print quality for the filament you use - The newer versions of slicers so a great job of getting you to 90% of the max print quality out of the box. If you need better then a little bit of tuning is required or you can just go with slower (lower layer heights) prints.

I routinely print threaded holes down to 4-40 that simply need a quick chase with a tap - less than 20 TPI usually doesn't even need to be chased. Most of the time I don't even chase the threads unless it is a fragile part or I need a free turning fit on the screw.

Yes, 4-40 pretty much self taps in PLA but when chased the tap doesn't move much plastic and the result is a really good fit. If I don't chase, then the fit is self locking.
I did some 2-56 threads which pretty much were just a hole that the screw formed threads on first insertion - worked fine so I call it a win and use it.

You will need to 'tune' the printer - Really just a print, measure, adjust routine to get the amount of filament extruded calibrated.
After that it's just getting a feel of temperatures and speeds vs print quality for the filament you use - The newer versions of slicers so a great job of getting you to 90% of the max print quality out of the box. If you need better then a little bit of tuning is required or you can just go with slower (lower layer heights) prints.

I routinely print threaded holes down to 4-40 that simply need a quick chase with a tap - less than 20 TPI usually doesn't even need to be chased. Most of the time I don't even chase the threads unless it is a fragile part or I need a free turning fit on the screw.

Yes, 4-40 pretty much self taps in PLA but when chased the tap doesn't move much plastic and the result is a really good fit. If I don't chase, then the fit is self locking.
I did some 2-56 threads which pretty much were just a hole that the screw formed threads on first insertion - worked fine so I call it a win and use it.
its to bad we cant just take a few pictures with are phone and send it to the printer.
3D printing peaks my interest. Although I feel like my old computer is ready to puke. Windows pro7
Which is becoming painfully slow again. so the investment costs are a real stopper.
No idea what type of computer would be good for 3D printing , software and a decent printer ? Although I have a pile of ideas for 3D parts just getting them from head to printer???

The go-to reloading vendor has 4 pounders in stock FYI - thanks to the tip from TrashcanDan.
They have a lot of popular powders back in stock actually. Especially Alliant powders.
So how does one get access to the secret handshake to find out the name of the goto reloading vendor? I found a good one, except the morons declare on the box what is in it (beyond the required hazmat stickers, E.g. JOE SMITH, bullets! Ammo! Powder! In other words STEAL ME). Ipso facto, a major carrier is now searching for a package that went “missing“ from a facility last week (First lost package in 20+ years). I even contacted the vendor‘s customer support after my last shipment in Jan. to stay that’s a pretty stupid thing to do Especially in the People’s Republic of Mass. They were quite tone deaf about it. Soooo, long story short, I am trying to find a New source..

So how does one get access to the secret handshake to find out the name of the goto reloading vendor? I found a good one, except the morons declare on the box what is in it (beyond the required hazmat stickers, E.g. JOE SMITH, bullets! Ammo! Powder! In other words STEAL ME). Ipso facto, a major carrier is now searching for a package that went “missing“ from a facility last week (First lost package in 20+ years). I even contacted the vendor‘s customer support after my last shipment in Jan. to stay that’s a pretty stupid thing to do Especially in the People’s Republic of Mass. They were quite tone deaf about it. Soooo, long story short, I am trying to find a New source..
Not much the supplier can do on the stickers - they are required to put them on and even with the minimum information the knuckle draggers in hte facility already know exactly what is in the package.

Just picked up a 30 lb package with a big "EXPLOSIVES" sticker on the top and side - the woman that went to get it didn't react at all when she handed it over.
At least with the social distancing I don't get the disapproving looks from all the other people at UPS when picking up supplies.
Not that I care - it is fun staring down a bunch of Karens with a big smile on my face

Yeah thats just how it is. Got one package from USPS. Guy says "so theres bullets in there?". Another time sister was at the house and mailman says has a package for me. She asks if its heavy and he replies "Nope. No bullets this time." Powder, primers have hazmat/explosives labeled all over. Just the way it is.

Fed -Ex guy broke out the 2 wheeler and pushed it up the drive yesterday afternoon. He's a shooter too, so he always has a nice comment when the supplies arrive in bunches. Had a funny moment too when I was out in the garage. 2 UPS trucks pull up from ether direction and back up rear door to rear door across the street from my driveway. I looked up and out the open door when My regular UPS guy yells over "It's ok, he's just refilling me for the rest of my route, Not unloading a whole truck for you today!" I waved and laughed both my Delivery guys know too expect heavy packages with lots of red stickers. Even my mailman ( newest one) now is interested in joining a local range, asked me about it, I printed him an app for my Club said I'd help sponsor him.

I've purchased more items for my reloading room, which much to my wife's dismay will most likely be the dining room (we live in a condo). I have most of what I'll need to get started, all of which I bought used from a couple NES members in the Reloading classifieds and one purchase on ebay. I've saved just over 300 dollars over buying brand new. If you add in whatever shipping would have been, I'd say it's closer to 350.

Also bought a couple reloading manuals; Lyman 50th and Hodgon 2020 and have been reading as much online and watching Youtube videos. I guess one of the benefits of this virus, if you want to call it that, is that I can't go out shooting right so don't have any brass now so it forces me to go slowly with reloading, which is most likely a good thing.

As for powder and primer vendors, I have held off asking who to go through as I realize it shouldn't be posted on here. I've found a couple online that seem decent but really don't know. If someone wants to PM me that info or have me PM them to ask, that would be good.

And if there is some type of group buy going on, I'd be interested. Thanks.

Right now your biggest problem will be finding primers and the powder you want in stock. Most places are wiped out of the commonly used items.
Yep. I think Shooters Outpost opened back up and is limiting customers in the store. Might be worthwhile calling them to see if they have primers and powder in stock. I snagged 24k primers there last month.

Back
Top Bottom