What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I posted this pic in another thread earlier today, thought I'd throw it in here too. Since I'm hot on loading .45 ACP this week , Got several thousand of their lil blue buddies I want to get loaded up ( I still hate small primer .45 ACP what a STUPID concept! ) These blue jacketed are going to get shot from My Marlin Camp .45, second press run is all the plated .45's for My Colts 1911's IMG_0052 (2).jpg IMG_0052 (2).jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 419625Cyka blyat !!¡!¡ vintage primer problems with h335
Starting at the bottom on white paper is pulled primers that FTF on right left are pulled but not struck. On tray is new primers out of box. Powder in right bin is from pulled cases that did not fire. Powder on left is out of newer powder jug. As you can see powder clumped up and changed color. I am playing a game with coated cast 223 out of H&R 1871 break action rifle. 19gr 2.16oal
End goal is cast out of ar. (The story as old as time writes itself doesn’t it) excessive lube was not a factor youknowhatimean. Google search leads me to believe the primers are the problem and back to the drawing board for this load development with new primersView attachment 419631
those primers look like 1950s-1960s vintage ,
Cleaned and organized the reloading bench...I’ll never find anything again. 3 loads through the tumbler...
i did this back in march/april , i ended up tossing everything on the floor,,,,,ahh felt good to get back to mormal

Starting at the bottom on white paper is pulled primers that FTF on right left are pulled but not struck. On tray is new primers out of box. Powder in right bin is from pulled cases that did not fire. Powder on left is out of newer powder jug. As you can see powder clumped up and changed color. I am playing a game with coated cast 223 out of H&R 1871 break action rifle. 19gr 2.16oal
End goal is cast out of ar. (The story as old as time writes itself doesn’t it) excessive lube was not a factor youknowhatimean. Google search leads me to believe the primers are the problem and back to the drawing board for this load development with new primersView attachment 419631

I’m worried about the 50 6.5 grendels I load with what I thought was a superior primer which also has vintage h335 powder !!! I feel like I gambled on a fart and lost. I blame this on China and the virus that made primer shortages.

use the old stuff first right!!!!! Riiiiiiggghhhttt???

I’m worried about the 50 6.5 grendels I load with what I thought was a superior primer which also has vintage h335 powder !!! I feel like I gambled on a fart and lost. I blame this on China and the virus that made primer shortages.

use the old stuff first right!!!!! Riiiiiiggghhhttt???
😂😂😂😂

It wont answer alot of questions but,
Take a small sample of powder and spray it with WD40- let me know if it the powder flakes yellow.
Your removing the graphite coating. Thats what is clumping the powder to gether.
If the primers lost there mmpphh it might have just blown the graphite off the powder directly at the flash hole?
335 can be a pita to get ignited also. maybe those bench primers are just not hot enough and could be early CCi primers in the begining of production when it was all new to them. Remember they took all the bad(what makes good primers good) chemicals out to make non corrosive and get rid of the mercury?

As far as cast loads in the AR
20" A2 1 /9 twist
yeah the old stuff not the F'n old stuff.
Im weary of primers over 30 years old. i also wont use powder unless its in a sealed tin. Even still im weary.

Loaded up some 44 magnum test rounds with N110 to see if I should push a little higher. In general I'm not attracted to maximum loads, but I have been using a quite conservative load (though still compressed). I loaded Speer 240 grain hollow points and ended up using hot glue to make a custom shape for the seating stem so as not to deform the rounds. That works OK, but I won't be sad when I've worked through the last of my 44 magnum bullets that don't play well with either seating stem.

Did some shifting around and organizing.
Lube sized some 200 grain 45 hollow points.
Just realized I left my lube heater plugged in. I’m going to go unplug that now.
the more I try to organize the more of a mess I create, I tossed 8 plastic totes worth of shit over the past few months, I swear water got on a few remaining bins and they multiplied! i should have bought that steel building posted here a while back!
I need a real work space.

the more I try to organize the more of a mess I create, I tossed 8 plastic totes worth of shit over the past few months, I swear water got on a few remaining bins and they multiplied! i should have bought that steel building posted here a while back!
I need a real work space.
Yeah sometimes you think your organizing and you’re just shifting shit into new piles.
I try to give everything a home wether it’s akro bins or lexan containers. If not I just keep re classifying the piles of stuff and moving them around as if I’m solving a problem.

Yeah sometimes you think your organizing and you’re just shifting shit into new piles.
when i was young my mom would have me clean my room. she'd get furious cause "you just move the mess from one side over to the other side." but ma, there's less clutter! "that's because you just make the pile taller with more stuff." i still clean and organize the same way 60 years later. i had a girlfriend once who's first words were "come on, lets tackle that kitchen real quick" every time she was over. i still don't get it.

when i was young my mom would have me clean my room. she'd get furious cause "you just move the mess from one side over to the other side." but ma, there's less clutter! "that's because you just make the pile taller with more stuff." i still clean and organize the same way 60 years later. i had a girlfriend once who's first words were "come on, lets tackle that kitchen real quick" every time she was over. i still don't get it.
Should have kept her. 😂

Really Useful Boxes. Best totes I've found. They are rugged and they do very well in freezing temps. I use them in garage, basement and reloading.

I found these boxes on Dillion’s site I ordered 3 my self. They are a lot bigger than you would think, but nicely made and stack very well.

I'm loving this retirement thing!!! I actually have had time in the last 10 days to spend LOTS of quality time in the shop, listening to podcasts, good tunes, and cranking out some of the things I had components for. This is a couple of mornings work in those quality hours. Fiocchi 209 style shotshell primer, Winchester AA red hulls, 1 1/8 oz. # 7.5 chilled lead shot and Clays powder with a WAA12 type wad.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
So I'm a relative virgin with reloading. Translation: I technically had sex, still don't know what I'm doing.

So, I've reloaded and successfully shot about 200 rounds (9mm) of my reloads without destroying my gun. Big win. Few questions, I'm checking the OAL for every single round after I'm done seating/crimping, is this overkill or normal?

To that point, that process has led me to only two rounds out of 200 that exceeded OAL, & both of those are a function of the primer sticking out too far on my newest batch. Now, I remember these two bastards because when I seated the primers on only these two cases I had to use a decent amount more force compared to the rest. I ignored them at that time knowing that if there was an issue I'd catch it when checking OAL down the road. Which I did, & noted that both the rounds were the same headstamped brass, "GFL" which I assume is Fiocchi since this brass is all my own spent casings.

So the 2nd question; is Fiocchi brass notorious for being finicky?

When I'm seating bullets, I usually grab a small handful and make my rounds, pulling each one off the press and put it to the side, standing up. Once I'm done with that handful, I check OAL on the first and last one I made, then a couple random ones before putting them in an ammo can. By standing them up, I can generally tell if the primer isn't fully seated by the round wobbling on the table.

Finally got around to shooting the test loads I made for 9mm 124 gr FMJ using VV N340. I fired 25 rounds each at 4.6, 4.8 and 5.0 grains.

Definitely need to up the charge. Average using the 5.0 gr charge was 1100 fps. Looking to get 1150 fps.

image.jpeg
.50bmg AP........feels like working on a truck all day.

Anyone who has reloaded .50bmg can attest to the effort required to prep the brass and load this caliber. It's done on a single stage press, having to resize, manually trim and inspect each casing, measure powder, seat the bullet and crimp. Yes, the same procedures used for other calibers with about 10x the effort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom