• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I anneal every firing. I shoot 6.5 creedmoor, use Lapua brass and am waiting on a 6 Dasher rebarreling so I expect 25-30 firings on the Lapua brass I bought and had hydro formed. I use an AMP and love it. Consistent annealing every time. Expensive but buy once cry once, besides I had a coupon😀

I'm interested in the 6 dasher and what you come up with.
Been pricing things out and researching over the last 2 months and have narrowed it down to 6 Dasher and 25 Creedmoor.
If you have a process, please share it.

Finished off the jug of WC844. That was the last of my old surplus powder 😢

Those jugs were $70 for 8lb when I got them. Oh the "good ol days" lol.

Moved on to Ramshot Tac. Going 25.0gr still under 55gr FMJs.
im on my last of tbe 844 myself.
i like it and the price was right.
i did not really want to stock to deep as it took almost 10 years to use the several jugs I had.
I know powder lasts a long time but I have other powders and been stocking up on that also.
My eyes are going faster than I can use up my stash. That SR target bulls eye gets smaller each year!

I'm interested in the 6 dasher and what you come up with.
Been pricing things out and researching over the last 2 months and have narrowed it down to 6 Dasher and 25 Creedmoor.
If you have a process, please share it.
By process you mean how I chose dasher?
I shoot long range PRS and wanted better accuracy at distance with less recoil in order to stay on target while watching impacts or misses. 6 BR is easy to load develop and I could get more speed with 6 BRA or dasher. Dasher gets me more case capacity but I don’t even know if I need that so maybe I would have been fine with bra, done now so I bit the bullet and paid for brass sent it to get hydro-formed, much more prep to it but hopefully worth it in the long run.
I should get better barrel life out of dasher since I am going with 105 Berger Hybrid and I am not going to over pressure it. I will begin 60,000 off the lands because that bullet likes 60 or 80 thou off. I hope to shoot matches during the first firing.
I did lots of contemplating on bullet selection, I thought about the Tubbs Dtac 115 6 mm but they might require a different cartridge like a 6 GT or 6 Creedmoor so since those won’t get me long barrel life I went Dasher. There are guys who use that bullet in dasher as well but push it so less barrel life.

I am happy with my choice and am prepping the brass now while waiting on the barreled action to be chambered at Ice Rifles. I sent him my Tikka action. He shoots dasher himself. I saw a group at 1000 yards he shot and it was impressive for sure. I am not going to the extremes of bullet pointing and neck turning like benchrest guys do because I am shooting at steel. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I shoot long range PRS and wanted better accuracy at distance with less recoil in order to stay on target while watching impacts or misses. 6 BR is easy to load develop and I could get more speed with 6 BRA or dasher. Dasher gets me more case capacity but I don’t even know if I need that so maybe I would have been fine with bra, done now so I bit the bullet and paid for brass sent it to get hydro-formed, much more prep to it but hopefully worth it in the long run.
I should get better barrel life out of dasher since I am going with 105 Berger Hybrid and I am not going to over pressure it. I will begin 60,000 off the lands because that bullet likes 60 or 80 thou off. I hope to shoot matches during the first firing.
I did lots of contemplating on bullet selection, I thought about the Tubbs Dtac 115 6 mm but they might require a different cartridge like a 6 GT or 6 Creedmoor so since those won’t get me long barrel life I went Dasher. There are guys who use that bullet in dasher as well but push it so less barrel life.

I am happy with my choice and am prepping the brass now while waiting on the barreled action to be chambered at Ice Rifles. I sent him my Tikka action. He shoots dasher himself. I saw a group at 1000 yards he shot and it was impressive for sure. I am not going to the extremes of bullet pointing and neck turning like benchrest guys do because I am shooting at steel. I’ll let you know how it goes.
I’d be interested in seeing the reliability of the tikka based dasher. I’ve been looking at the BR or BRA and not a lot of info about the reliability of it in the tikka action. Where do you shoot the prs stuff?

I shot in NH, Mass and NY in the MMPRL the last 2 years. The ranges that had Minuteman league matches are now recognized by the national PRS and in the New England Region which will be on their website next month.
Granby, Alderbrook, Sheepdog Warrior in Catskills and up in Chatham, NH in a guys field are the places. There is another place in Vermont but COVID has that place out right now.

How long did it take you to fill the scoop
I guess the extra time really is in hand weighing and trickling up each charge on a beam scale, vs just throwing it.

I look at reloading as a hobby in itself so I'm not really trying to maximize production or minimize time spent at the bench. Although I should probably spend more hobby time emptying the cases out rather than filling them up.

Nice. I'm still floundering.
My requirements were - Has to be short action. Has to be between 100 and 130 grs. Has to retain sonic past 800. Non-Magnum (traditional) to watch the trails. I don't plan on exceeding 2900 fps, so barrel burners are out, or at least clocked down.
Not stringent, but it narrowed it down quite a bit. Subtract anything over X amount of years old and its down to like 4 or 5.
Theres tons out there, you're the first around here to get cranking on a cartridge I'm interested in.
Plenty of time before the big move so I'm gathering as much info as I can before I embark on 1000 yd shots.

Would love to see the results when you get to that point.

You should start a thread to chronicle your journey and then post build pics & results. Just a thought.

My requirements were - Has to be short action. Has to be between 100 and 130 grs. Has to retain sonic past 800. Non-Magnum (traditional) to watch the trails. I don't plan on exceeding 2900 fps, so barrel burners are out, or at least clocked down.
Not stringent, but it narrowed it down quite a bit. Subtract anything over X amount of years old and its down to like 4 or 5.
Theres tons out there, you're the first around here to get cranking on a cartridge I'm interested in.
Plenty of time before the big move so I'm gathering as much info as I can before I embark on 1000 yd shots.

If you are just worried about 1,000 yard shots, 223 will do that.

How about a lighter bullet .308Win or 7.62x39?

Unclear why you would target under 2900fps?

The 1,000yd question is always worthy of its own thread, but you should look at what people are using at competitions. 6.5 Norma is a popular choice in the bullet weight category you're looking at now.

Personally I'd pick .308Win if you're married to short action because of how common it is. Brass and bullets will be way easier to find. It gives probably one of the widest bullet weight ranges from 110gr to 220gr.

The 1,000yd question is always worthy of its own thread, but you should look at what people are using at competitions. 6.5 Norma is a popular choice in the bullet weight category you're looking at now.

Personally I'd pick .308Win if you're married to short action because of how common it is. Brass and bullets will be way easier to find. It gives probably one of the widest bullet weight ranges from 110gr to 220gr.

.308 ballistics are extremely similar to .223, FWIW but yes, that is a thread unto itself.

How about a lighter bullet .308Win or 7.62x39?

Unclear why you would target under 2900fps?

There is a metric-shit ton of cartridges out there in the 6mm/.25 cal range, especially in the short-action side of things. Between powder development and bullet design in the last 10 years, theres plenty that'll outrun and are a lot flatter than the conventional go-to 7mm stuff.
Absolutely nothing wrong with .308 based cartridges. If I was leaning towards a hunting load, thats the route I'd go.
I'm more fascinated with varmint calibers and how the short-and-fat cartridges like 6br, 22 nosler, 6 creed, 6 arc type and how they now retain enough energy well past 800 vs the older longer action stuff like 22-250, .270, 7mm and so on.

Just like the handgun games have a minimum power factor, I think P.R.S. has a max velocity of 2900 or somewhere around that and then cost limitations if its a certain division. I think theres max limits on gas guns and all that.

Looked pretty interesting, kinda like if u.s.p.s.a. and c.m.p. got drunk and had an ugly kid.

There is a metric-shit ton of cartridges out there in the 6mm/.25 cal range, especially in the short-action side of things. Between powder development and bullet design in the last 10 years, theres plenty that'll outrun and are a lot flatter than the conventional go-to 7mm stuff.
Absolutely nothing wrong with .308 based cartridges. If I was leaning towards a hunting load, thats the route I'd go.
I'm more fascinated with varmint calibers and how the short-and-fat cartridges like 6br, 22 nosler, 6 creed, 6 arc type and how they now retain enough energy well past 800 vs the older longer action stuff like 22-250, .270, 7mm and so on.

Just like the handgun games have a minimum power factor, I think P.R.S. has a max velocity of 2900 or somewhere around that and then cost limitations if its a certain division. I think theres max limits on gas guns and all that.

Looked pretty interesting, kinda like if u.s.p.s.a. and c.m.p. got drunk and had an ugly kid.
Handloader magazine just had an article on the 6 GT designed by the owner of GAP rifles. He specifically wanted 100% load density with Varget using 105-110 grain bullets and achieving 3000-3100 FPS with reliable feeding in a 308 length action while maintaining reasonable barrel life.

I guess the extra time really is in hand weighing and trickling up each charge on a beam scale, vs just throwing it.

I look at reloading as a hobby in itself so I'm not really trying to maximize production or minimize time spent at the bench. Although I should probably spend more hobby time emptying the cases out rather than filling them up.
Yeah Im the same way , I have plenty of time to reload so I just do a little here and there. Getting to the range is not as viable.

when I asked how long I was envisioning your OCD .....tweezer picking each kernal of powder , counting carefully and when 12,551 kernels weighs 24 gns and the next dipper takes 12557 kernels to make 24 gns you start sorting kernels!
I do use the lee dippers especially for powder like trailbossand red dot for reduced rifle loads/cast
Or my 50 yard gallery , plinker loads

Back
Top Bottom