• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Had these ibejiheads for a while. Ordered them in .357 diameter to compare to my other cast loads in the PM9. Very pleased they seemed very consistent and coating seems pretty tough but weā€™ll see how they choot.
I use quite a bit of these I like them a lot! They ā€œchootā€ very well. Youā€™ll like them. You canā€™t beat the price too.

Attachments

• 1B92C903-1ED3-4A17-A652-055A56B35B9D.jpeg
    1B92C903-1ED3-4A17-A652-055A56B35B9D.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 4AB0E6DB-DDB0-4C0E-A668-A70D5494F58F.jpeg
    4AB0E6DB-DDB0-4C0E-A668-A70D5494F58F.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5EF88F85-9A2B-4CAC-B432-A134AF2E7E91.jpeg
    5EF88F85-9A2B-4CAC-B432-A134AF2E7E91.jpeg
    712.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 93E5E337-783C-47B9-A6E7-432E175E59F5.jpeg
    93E5E337-783C-47B9-A6E7-432E175E59F5.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 19
The 1,000yd question is always worthy of its own thread, but you should look at what people are using at competitions. 6.5 Norma is a popular choice in the bullet weight category you're looking at now.

Personally I'd pick .308Win if you're married to short action because of how common it is. Brass and bullets will be way easier to find. It gives probably one of the widest bullet weight ranges from 110gr to 220gr.
To keep this on thread, I did load up 200 rounds of 6.5 Creedmore to have enough to practice and get me through the first PRS match this season.

I started my long distance shooting with a 308 Win. 700 yards and under I get the same hits with either cartridge. Past 800 I found it easier to have hits with the 6.5 CM, and past 900 it was WAY easier. At 1000 yards the 6.5 CM has (IIRC) over 8 ft less drop (and Im shooting 147g in the 6.5) that I had with the .308

Yes the 6.5 CM was passed by the 6.0 CM which was passed by a number of 6mm other cartridges by the top competitors. But it is a good caliber for me. The last PRS match I shot, in my squad there were two 6.5 CM, one 6 CM, one 243, one .308 and one .223, and 6mm something, and I don't know what else.

I got super frustrated removing the crimps from NATO brass last week and so I decided to throw money at the problem.

This arrived today and I have to say, it is a game changer with the right bits. Specifically, the RCBS crimp remover die.

View attachment 442466
i have that machine but am still swaging primer pockets using the die with my rockchucker. is this a vast improvement?

VAST. 1-3 seconds per cartridge and toss it in the done pile. See if I can get macro shots before & after tonight.

Watching a video on it now, did not know this existed. Need now! I have 2 huge bags of 223 to process.

wondering if anyplace local carries this, i wanna get to work tomorrow lol

I spent some late night Googling and found a random comment about the RCBS die, then spent another hour trying to find one... so much better for removing crimps than any other the 20 or so other bits I have.

I spent some late night Googling and found a random comment about the RCBS die, then spent another hour trying to find one... so much better for removing crimps than any other the 20 or so other bits I have.
Agreed, that swaging die using the press is an effing workout...

where did you find it? not having much luck

I got super frustrated removing the crimps from NATO brass last week and so I decided to throw money at the problem.

This arrived today and I have to say, it is a game changer with the right bits. Specifically, the RCBS crimp remover die.

View attachment 442466
Iā€™ve been contemplating one of their prep stations. I was cheap they had the one w/o trimmer for like 85 on Amazon about a month ago.

Also look at the Dillon super swage itā€™s pretty sweet. I donā€™t like the idea of shaving brass personally. Iā€™ve had mine for a while but just did first batch cpl weeks ago and itā€™s pretty fast.

Also look at the Dillon super swage itā€™s pretty sweet. I donā€™t like the idea of shaving brass personally. Iā€™ve had mine for a while but just did first batch cpl weeks ago and itā€™s pretty fast.

I did not encounter the Dillon Super Swage in my research, always good to have another option. Personally, I don't mind removing a tiny amount of brass from the lip of the primer pocket. I've never encountered failures there and its only done once.

i used to remove the crimp on my mill using a small bit but i didn't like the variability, this seems better as it has the backstop and should be idiot proof lol

VAST. 1-3 seconds per cartridge and toss it in the done pile. See if I can get macro shots before & after tonight.

I was channeling George lol

I just chuck the primer pocket reamer head from my Lyman case prep tool, into my cordless drill and remove the crimp that way. Only take a few seconds. But I'm not reloading a ton of .223 at the moment so it works for me. I do have a big bin of brass that needs to be processed at some point but I'm still burning through the 20 cpr walmart 223/5.56 [laugh]
1611873765220.png

i used to remove the crimp on my mill using a small bit but i didn't like the variability, this seems better as it has the backstop and should be idiot proof lol
This was my first time removing crimp but it was pretty simple to setup. I slowly adjusted the swage rod out checking primer pocket with a ballistic tool go gauge.

I picked up an RCBS chargemaster lite, tried it out tonight, man it certainly steps up my single stage game. Would highly recommend to anyone still just using a bench mounted powder measure and a scale for single stage loading.

I've had one for a while and it's served me very well....no complaints here.

I wish I got it a long time ago. I couldn't justify the expense when ammo was cheap and I wasn't reloading as much, but now its a no brainer. It's just too easy, push button, charge case, push button, charge case. Life is good.

Back
Top Bottom