What did you do in the reloading room recently?

ETA: if you go in this document https://www.mass.gov/doc/massachusetts-527-cmr-100-2015-edition-as-of-october-18-2019/download

search for 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 and look at paragraph (2). That references the chart 1.12.8.50 which defines permits/no permits/licenses required for each thing.
This is where I was confused. I was looking at an obsolete version of that document that showed a permit required for 1,000 primers up to 9,999 primers, and a license from 10,000 up. Current document shows no permit required for less than 10,000 primers.

Screenshot from 2021-02-10 14-27-30.png

This is where I was confused. I was looking at an obsolete version of that document that showed a permit required for 1,000 primers up to 9,999 primers, and a license from 10,000 up. Current document shows no permit required for less than 10,000 primers.

View attachment 448572

EXACTLY! That's the one I remembered too, but in 2018 they adopted this new chart :mad:

Found these:

From everything I have read, for smokeless powders, the most important characteristic you want in a “magazine” is the ability to release pressure and gas quickly and easily. So NO sealed boxes like a safe. Otherwise “whoosh” potentially becomes “boom”.

It sounds like a 1" wooden box with a weak side is the proper solution per SAAMI, which is what I would expect the FD to consider acceptable.

"Smokeless propellants shall be stored in non-portable storage cabinets having wood walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) thickness and having shelves with no more than 3 ft (0.92 m) of separation between shelves."

My concern has always been that if I get a permit/license, the fire department will just sit outside my house and watch it burn to the ground rather than putting forth any effort to extinguish the flames.

Well consider that if you don't get a permit and they go in to fight a fire and don't know what's in there and the stuff explodes and hurts/kills one of them, you're gonna be liable.

It sounds like a 1" wooden box with a weak side is the proper solution per SAAMI, which is what I would expect the FD to consider acceptable.

"Smokeless propellants shall be stored in non-portable storage cabinets having wood walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) thickness and having shelves with no more than 3 ft (0.92 m) of separation between shelves."

That's for propellants but those aren't considered explosives. Primers are explosives so there may be a different storage requirement for those. For instance I know for shipping them there is a limit on how many can be grouped together because they can chain react basically.

That's for propellants but those aren't considered explosives. Primers are explosives so there may be a different storage requirement for those. For instance I know for shipping them there is a limit on how many can be grouped together because they can chain react basically.
Yeah 50,000 or 64lbs worth which ever comes first

SAAMI storage recommendations for primers is identical to powder, with the added qualifier that "Make sure the surrounding area is free of trash or other readily combustible materials." (like powder)

Last edited:
I'm okay now, but if I run out of primers, I can either pay or not shoot. I'll still try to play the game on vendor sites, but not much choice if you didn't stock up OR are new to reloading. Fortunately, I did stock up on ammo for some calibers, but due to new guns in my collection, I'm depending on making my own ammo for some calibers.
Yeah if you're new then you didn't have much of a choice. But I have friends who have been reloading for 3-4 years and had no interest in buying primers in 2018 when there were sales and rebates etc. NOW they want to buy primers...ugh

I’m not worried about the town, its the insurance in case of a disaster.
I'll take my chances especially after inquiring about it a few years back. They had no idea/knowledge about the permits and said they would need to look into it further - that's when I stopped talking with them. A lot of my friends are firefighters in town, I suppose I could ask them. But the fire chief is a raging moonbat anti-gun DB.

I would think the insurance company can deny a claim regardless if you have a permit/license?? I dunno. I'm good. To each their own.

I could just meet up with it and you can look over it for a few hours or something
@pastera
Looked up the guys youtube video - you need to use a hand primer tool to hold the case from spinning

I'm going to see if I can make something that I can print and will use a standard shell holder to clamp the case (rod pressing through the primer hole in the shell holder).
The adapter is super simple - a fast way to clamp shells is going to take a little more thinking.

@pastera you just gave me an idea that indexes off the base of the cartridge via a cotter pin like the one on the dillon dies at the top. you set up your 3D jig to the depth you want trimmed at. you place the cotter pin in the extractor groove and it auto cuts till the cotter pin hits the top of the 3D printed trim guide. you hold it via the rubber coated cotter pin so it will not spin. and press with another finger into the trimmer

1613004000422.png

Last edited:
Loaded my first round. .243 winchester with 40.0 grains of Hybrid 100V with a 100 grain soft point. Used a 43 year old Lee Loader for this. I was going to buy dies, but I'm only planning on using this rifle for hunting, so I won't be shooting much.

Went a little deep with the bullet seating. Should be a light load around 2,890 fps.
20210210_195139.jpg

Last edited:
@pastera you just gave me an idea that indexes off the base of the cartridge via a cotter pin like the one on the dillon dies at the top. you set up your 3D jig to the depth you want trimmed at. you place the cotter pin in the extractor groove and it auto cuts till the cotter pin hits the top of the 3D printed trim guide. you hold it via the rubber coated cotter pin so it will not spin. and press with another finger into the trimmer

View attachment 448707
Good idea - not certain how fast it would be but it would work

Loaded my first round. .243 winchester with 40.0 grains of Hybrid 100V with a 100 grain soft point. Used a 43 year old Lee Loader for this. I was going to buy dies, but I'm only planning on using this rifle for hunting, so I won't be shooting much.

Went a little deep with the bullet seating. Should be a light load around 2,890 fps.
View attachment 448713
Congrats. It’s a hobby that can keep sucking you deeper and deeper.

You'll have to dig through the code to figure that one out. I didn't go that far, I was just trying to confirm what the permit was for since it had changed over the years.

I started my quest here: Massachusetts Fire Code
This is dense reading, but I think these pages are relevant.

14.3.7.1 (<20 lbs) seems to be at odds with MA 527 CMR 1.05 table 1.12.8.50 (<16 lbs). I imagine there are other discrepancies but I'm not dialed in on these documents yet. At least they agree on the primer limits in residences.

Screenshot from 2021-02-10 22-20-55.png

Screenshot from 2021-02-10 22-20-58.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom